Different types of skelly

spend lot of time driving up down the a14 (yawn) and over time have noitced different types of skellys on the road and just wondered really out of curiosity how many different types there actually are, the ones i have seen (or noticed) are

standard skelly
multi box ones.
IBC ones.
ones with tail lifts
ones with a HIAB on.

are there any other types and can you use any skelly for a standard container??

cheers

There’s them ones that split in half to take two 20"ers, look like a tyre fitters nightmare

groovy greg:
spend lot of time driving up down the a14 (yawn) and over time have noitced different types of skellys on the road and just wondered really out of curiosity how many different types there actually are, the ones i have seen (or noticed) are

standard skelly
multi box ones.
IBC ones.
ones with tail lifts
ones with a HIAB on.

are there any other types and can you use any skelly for a standard container??

cheers

I think the ones that just do isotanks are usually only 30’ long, I’m not 100%, but when you see them, the isotank is sat in the middle with 1 free pin at either end, but it’s only about 5’ either end to the free pins and I’m pretty sure the isotanks are 20’?

Splitters, sliders, 20’, 40’, ones with gensets underneath (belly) and the ones you’ve mentioned are the main ones I’ve come across.

Where does the law stand on the self loading ones Containerlift and others use? The arms are either end of the container so they are the trailer and NOT part of the load, surely they must be overlength?

mucker85:
Where does the law stand on the self loading ones Containerlift and others use? The arms are either end of the container so they are the trailer and NOT part of the load, surely they must be overlength?

a standard container is 40’, not 45’, so, one of those with a 40’ container on with the lifting arms cannot be over length, as the arms are not 2 1/2 foot wide, it would still be less than a 45’ tautliner

shuttlespanker:

mucker85:

a standard container is 40’, not 45’, so, one of those with a 40’ container on with the lifting arms cannot be over length, as the arms are not 2 1/2 foot wide, it would still be less than a 45’ tautliner

yeh iv seen containerlift trailers alot as yard next to me the only good up to 40 ft.

i thought 45ft was now the standard size for containers as when i done them few years back that all i ever seen and picked up very rare i got a 40,30 or 20ft

ST3:

shuttlespanker:

mucker85:

yeh iv seen containerlift trailers alot as yard next to me the only good up to 40 ft.

i thought 45ft was now the standard size for containers as when i done them few years back that all i ever seen and picked up very rare i got a 40,30 or 20ft

Someone didn’t like you then :laughing:

I used to hate doing 45’s, pain in the harris, dragging the already bend and rusty under-run bar out, adjusting your 5th wheel because otherwise the 45 would end up on your bunk etc :imp:

ST3:

shuttlespanker:

mucker85:

in over 6 years of doing containers, i have only ever done 1 45’ container, never done a 30’ container, usually 20’ or 40’

shuttlespanker:

ST3:

shuttlespanker:

mucker85:

in over 6 years of doing containers, i have only ever done 1 45’ container, never done a 30’ container, usually 20’ or 40’

I’m been on boxes 18 month, and never had a 30’, but I have carried a 45’ a few times.
1of our drivers went down a ramp and turned right ripping the air deflector off with a 45’ on. I’m always wary now.

A thought
as ships are said to be so many 000’s TEU,s

then 20 foot is the standard length

40’ is a deep sea container
45’ is a short sea container (in the euro zone)

As far as shipping containers go 20 foot is the standard size thats wot the ships are built to take and rail carrages are at 60 ft (3x20 or 1x40 and 1x20) , the 45’s are used a lot in the us and canada so come here by default but its very rare to reload one here, but the european 45’s are a bit wider (but still fit normal trailers) and dont go any ware else than euroland as to wide for the us

hitch:
A thought
as ships are said to be so many 000’s TEU,s

then 20 foot is the standard length

TEU = 20 foot equivalent unit, so a 40 footer is 2 TEU.

My Sons ship is 6000 TEU so at most can only carry 3000 40 footers.

45ft just get chucked on top when there’s room as they don’t fit in the hold and they’re mostly only carried from far east to usa.

only ever pulled them out of immingham and teesport so would explain euro side being 45ft short haul. as for rusty underbar pull out bumper didnt bother me as was a nice shiney new skelly

Bit off topic but sort of on it. What size hiab type crane would you need to lift unladen 20 foot container if crane mounted behind cab and not on trailer?

Youl need one capable of handling 2.3ton at a reach of about 14 to 16 foot.
Course it depends on the type of hiab and I’m allowing for chains and chain angle.

Also swinging the box under the hiab for correct positioning.

20 foot boxes vary in weight slightly usually around 2100 to 2300 kg.

Many moons ago I did this day in day out with an Atlas Hiab on an 18t rigid.

These days though things have moved on a bit so a bigger capacity may be needed for all the safety features they have now.

If you want to lift an empty 20ft, either a bit forklift, steel moving size, or a couple of small ones are the way to go. Much easier that paying out for a side lifter trailer or hiab unit

dew:
There’s them ones that split in half to take two 20"ers, look like a tyre fitters nightmare

And a mechanics nightmare. There classed as two trailers, so that’s 2 service sheets, 2 mot tests. And if it’s on disks, and the lead trailer doesn’t get used that often, it makes getting them through an mot brake test a bloody nightmare.

Thanks Dave, can you remember what ton/m your atlas was?

Think it was 6t at 1metre.