Fighting a Mickey Mouse Insurance Claim

I just thought I would reproduce here the correspondence I’ve had to send today. It’s pretty self-explanatory.

First, a letter to my insurance company.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Your ref XXXXXXXXXX

The incident to which you refer was not reported to yourselves at the time because no damage was caused to the other vehicle, no injury occurred, and the incident was caused entirely by the other driver’s negligence in parking in an unsafe position.

The circumstances are as follows. I had made a delivery to Selco, Walthamstow in an articulated lorry, being unloaded in the dedicated unloading area. After delivery, I checked that the road was clear behind my vehicle, climbed into the cab, checked my mirrors and started moving backwards. However, in the time it had taken me to climb into the cab, the other driver had pulled up behind my vehicle, so close that it was not possible to see it in my mirrors. As I moved backwards, he immediately sounded his horn and I stopped. I am not even sure that my vehicle made contact with his, but if it did it would merely have touched it. I can supply detailed tachograph data from this day if required, including my exact speed which I would estimate at 0.5 mph. When asked why he had parked in such an unsafe place, he replied that there “was nowhere else to park”.

At the time, the driver twice tried to claim that the headlight of the vehicle had been broken. However, as you will note from the enclosed photographs, the damage was pre-existing and the headlight had previously had some temporary repair effected with sticky tape, this also making the vehicle unroadworthy and illegal.

The driver also attempted to claim that the dent in the panel beneath the headlight had been caused by my vehicle; however, as you can see, the sticky tape was already stuck over this dent, the dent is oxidised rather than being bright metal, and there is no fresh paint beneath the tape. He also claimed that the front panel had been dented in the centre: as you can see this is thick with rust.

You will note that apart from this pre-existing damage that there is no damage to the vehicle. The pre-existing damage runs in a line from the bonnet, through the headlight and the front panel to the bumper which has been pushed in on the offside only. The vehicle has obviously had a heavy frontal impact with some type of pole or stanchion, this is not damage which would be caused the flat horizontal surface of a trailer under-run bar.

The policyholder has since phoned me, and acknowledges that the damage was pre-existing and was caused by a previous employee of his. He was evidently unaware that I had taken these photographs and is rapidly trying to back-track.

Nevertheless he acknowledges that he has knowingly attempted to claim the cost of pre-existing damage against my insurance, making this a criminal offence, namely attempted fraud. I have asked him for a copy of the repair estimate, but he has not provided this. Therefore I request that you provide me with a copy of this, since if it includes the cost of any repair which the policyholder knew was pre-existing, I intend to report him to the Police with a view to having him charged with fraud.

I will fax you a copy of my driving licence this week.

Yours Faithfully,

Harry Monk

Now the photos.

And now a letter I am sending by recorded delivery to the registered address of the company.

Dear Louanne,

I have sent you a copy of the letter I sent to my insurance company today, along with the photographs I sent them. I also had to complete a claims form, I will send you a copy of this on request.

To be perfectly honest, I have better things to do with my limited time. I am trying to run a business single-handedly during the most difficult economic times I have ever known, I have more than enough to do at the weekends, including spending time with my children, to have to deal with this nonsense.

However, I’m not going to pay a £500 excess and see my premiums go through the roof next year because I have been targeted by a couple of con-artists. I mean what I say in the letter, fraud is one of the most serious offences on the statute book in the U.K., and almost inevitably leads to a custodial sentence. I will do my utmost to ensure that this is what you get if you do not come to your senses immediately and advise your insurance company that on reflection, you realise that you might have been mistaken.

Yours Sincerely,

Harry Monk.

I will let you know what happens as things progress. The company is called MTL Logistics Ltd. I will direct the insurance company to this thread if anybody has any comment.

One word that covers this kind of individual, chancer.

Nice one
From experience it’s normal for statements to change when photographic evidence is provided. Good luck though and hope it works out in your favour.

i currently have a case possibly going to court where a car driver moved from his lane in to my lane and hit the front corner of my truck and spun him across the motorway, he is claiming the accident was my fault, and has a ‘witness’ to verify this

the thing is, i can disprove everything that the witness has stated

can’t wait for my day in court, then i will add loss of earnings to his costs too :grimacing:

Insurance is a world full of chancers!

shuttlespanker:
i currently have a case possibly going to court where a car driver moved from his lane in to my lane and hit the front corner of my truck and spun him across the motorway, he is claiming the accident was my fault, and has a ‘witness’ to verify this

can’t wait for my day in court, then i will add loss of earnings to his costs too :grimacing:

I’ve had this from aggreived car drivers that take umbrage with you for indicating for miles and then pulling out to overtake,apparently without any notice whatsover from their point of view. They seek revenge by pulling in sharply in front of you,its Darwinism in action.

Tossers like this boil my ■■■■, they really do.
My missus’ insurance company has just coughed up to a couple of pensioner scammers after a sub 5mph scrape. Whiplash an’ all. Despite this being their 4th separate claim in the last 12 months.

Best of luck Harry.

Great story I shall follow it with glee.

Funnily enough I got a call the other day from an ambulance chaser. I car share with my neighbours / friends as I am a named driver on a Motability car. Late last year the car was parked outside my house and my friends were in my flat.

I watched a TNT subbie reverse into the car and took a photo, while Rob ran downstairs and talked to the driver. No great problems, names were exchanged, the driver admitted it and I showed him my camera saying I was also a witness. He was more sorry than us, but the car was repaired and returned.

My phone call was someone asking for me as I had witnessed an accident and the driver was injured with possible neck injuries :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems like the Data Protection Act is not so secure of infallible :wink:

One question which I’m sure everyone would like to know, did you manage to keep from laughing.

It’s a £2,500 claim, which might not seem a lot, but firstly it’s the principle of the thing, and secondly the delivery driver will hit me with a £40,000 personal injuries claim if I don’t, despite the fact that he seemed uninjured enough to continue with his duties afterwards, being shown in the background of this photograph carrying a large and bulky object with little apparent difficulty.

There’s no racism here, the driver is a black South African, the company directors are white South Africans. This is a game of England v South Africa, I just have to hope the referee is fair! :smiley:

shuttlespanker:

Good on ya :wink:

You would have though if he wanted his van repaired that badly he wouldn’t have botherd sounding his horn and let you reverse streight into him :astonished:

Harry Monk:
It’s a £2,500 claim, which might not seem a lot, but firstly it’s the principle of the thing, and secondly the delivery driver will hit me with a £40,000 personal injuries claim if I don’t, despite the fact that he seemed uninjured enough to continue with his duties afterwards, being shown in the background of this photograph carrying a large and bulky object with little apparent difficulty.

There’s no racism here, the driver is a black South African, the company directors are white South Africans. This is a game of England v South Africa, I just have to hope the referee is fair! :smiley:

You have worked and paid taxes all your life you’re indigenous to these islands and law abiding in a nutshell you’re ******

I once had an accident on the A580 East Lanc’s Rd and the car driver came up with 3 witness statements some time after the shunt. All three worked for the construction company who were working on the road at that junction of the A580/A5207 on the day, HA!!! What the idiot road worker witnesses failed to do was check whether they were working on that day, well, they weren’t as it was the first day of the Grand National meeting & the roadworks had been suspended & all the cones pulled back with the prevously closed lanes re-opened.

My scumbag insurers suggested that in the light of the three witness statements I should concede, I told them to shove it & go to court & watch their witnesses fail to show. They informed the other low life scumbags insurance about the reliability of their witnesses & they folded, paid for my repairs & lost time.

Ross.

All the best Harry, hope the [zb] get jail the [zb] :smiling_imp:

I’m surprised his 14 passengers aren’t claiming for whiplash.

Montmerency:

14 passengers?

take a closer look at the pictures of the vehicle

it is an Iveco Daily long wheel based van :unamused:

he can get at least double that amount in there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

These scams happen all the time in the tipper game. Someone claimed a brick “blew off” my lorry as I came off a building site. Our ex TM accepted it, told me off for not checking my load was secure and “it had to be you, you were muckshifting”…
Yes I was muckshifting, no bricks or rubble of any kind, just clay-like soil and some chancer thought they’d make a claim.
The thing which annoys me more is how so many firms just accept this crap. I blame these ads on tv for “Parasitic lawyers for you.”

shuttlespanker:

Montmerency:

14 passengers?

take a closer look at the pictures of the vehicle

it is an Iveco Daily long wheel based van :unamused:

he can get at least double that amount in there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

True. :smiley:

Go for it Harry , make him know what a ■■■■■■ he is
and tell his bos that Saracens are a crap rugby team at
the same time .

quirky