Royal Mail

Hi,

does anyone know if Royal mail run their own trucks or do they sub it all out now?

Cheers

It’s all their own fleet. They use some subbies for trunking around Christmas time though.

damoq:
It’s all their own fleet. They use some subbies for trunking around Christmas time though.

This +1

RM trunking is covered by Logistics Solutions last time I looked, which is a wholly owned subsidery of RM. It is LS depots that have the tractors & trailers + 17t rigids parked there overnight. Some outhouses are also used for the overspill.

Check out your local letters delivery office, and you’ll generally not see anything larger than a 600cf (7.5t) parked there overnight.

Artic drivers get paid more than rigid drivers at royal mail, regardless of licence held, or seniority of covering driver.
This means that when an artic driver goes on leave, the vacant hourage will be given to a spare FT driver first as “duty”, then another FT covering for overtime as second fallback position (at which point a 17t duty driver will “volunteer” usually to sideways-pick it up) and finally if there’s still not enough cover, they’ll use agencies.

Some offices have lousy duties that no one ever signs into (eg. 4-6 hours in length) so they’ll get an agency in on defacto permanent basis just to cover it!
Personally, I think this is the arse end of agency driving for RM, but come Christmas buildup, there’s so much spare hourage to cover, the normal agency (manpower around here) will end up subbing out elsewhere and you’ll get much better quality work as a result. :sunglasses:

I did agency work last xmas it was for a subbue into royal mail was so easy
how rm make money is beyond me or do they make money or subbed by the goverment

Get registered with Manpower if you want RM work,easy work and lots of sleeping involved.

…IF you can get one of the plummier artic duties. Most shifts offered to agency are long 17t shifts, which you need to be houdini to get any sleep in a bunkless cab!

i worked out of east mids airport through manpower for about 4 years loved the job mainly class 1 so i guess it depends which depot you go to as to what class of vehicle you get!

When I was with Manpower the sleeping was done in the mail centres where there was a subsidised canteen with internet facilities.Good job if you can get it.

Done some work for them years ago, via Manpower - one of the easiest jobs you’ll ever get, night trunks to Coventry & back

Smiler70:
Hi,

does anyone know if Royal mail run their own trucks or do they sub it all out now?

Cheers

All their own trucks apart from a few rentals mostly from Salfords van hire. Never heard of Logistics Solution and been at RM for 2 years on agency work.

I’m guessing the driving assessment standards are quite low - just from my observations of RM wagons on the road. :smiley:

:unamused: here we go again :unamused: the same could be said for a lot of truck drivers on the road, there just happens to be a larger percentage of RM liveried trucks than most others so its easy to tar them all with the same brush. :unamused:

How come people are not queueing up to get into RM then, if it’s perceived as such a cushy number? :confused:

Winseer:
How come people are not queueing up to get into RM then, if it’s perceived as such a cushy number? :confused:

I do believe they like to train there staff up if you work in a sorting office and wish to drive a class one they will train you … also the Agency guys might go perm there. someone will correct me with the right info.

RM, is good on agency, I recall working out of the West Ham/Canning town depot few yrs back on my days off … went from Canning town to Dartford to see if there was any overspill of letters/parcels then back nope went home got paid a 8 hour shift for 3 hours work.

discoman:

Winseer:

I do believe they like to train there staff up if you work in a sorting office and wish to drive a class one they will train you … also the Agency guys might go perm there. someone will correct me with the right info.

Guess you’ve got to really want to drive a lorry to kiss the birthday card envelope cash goodbye. :laughing:

Agencies being taken on FT by RM?
Who might they be?

Some agency drivers have worked every shift asked of them for YEARS - and still not been offered a FT job!

Have RM been recruiting ANY Full time drivers since the introduction of the MTSF agreement? :confused:

Own Account Driver:
I’m guessing the driving assessment standards are quite low - just from my observations of RM wagons on the road. :smiley:

Been one M1/M6 past few days gotta agree,sorry for good RM drivers though as some make all look crap :wink:

splitshift:

Own Account Driver:

Been one M1/M6 past few days gotta agree,sorry for good RM drivers though as some make all look crap :wink:

Forgot to add I’m one of the “Legion of the Dammed” a scabby old tipper driver, apologies to Kr 79 & Muckaway :wink: :wink:

I work part time for Royal Mail 7.5t and we have been told there is no chance of being made full time and even less chance of moving to class 1 work, they are asking for voluntary redundancy in every department.