Brian Harris RIP

I’ve just had a call from a reader to tell me the sad news that legendary west country haulier Brian Harris died last night. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Will Shiers:
I’ve just had a call from a reader to tell me the sad news that legendary west country haulier Brian Harris died last night. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

A proper Haulier from the old days using old ways :frowning:

Brian Harris Transport Services Ltd

another one ofthe old boys gone :frowning:

RIP Brian and maybe you will ride Tom Pierce’s grey mare along with Bill Brewer,Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney,Peter Davey, Dan’l Whiddon,Harry Hawke and uncle Tom Cobley and all. RIP Brian.

A very sad day then with Brian now taking up his place in the Traffic Office in the sky,but I’d bet the craic will take a definite turn for the better now Brian is there !!! I got to know Brian in the '70’s when he occaisionally dropped and odd bit off in our depot for delivery locally.In later years he did a bit of subbing for us out of the Devon Valley Mill at Cullompton.He really was a Traditional haulier of the highest calibre,similar to the likes of the late Great Curly Cargill of Penrith.Those two could obtain loads for their motors anywhere in the UK,their contacts were many and varied and their respective fleets immaculate together with their sheeting and roping !! One thing I could never understand was why Brian changed the name of his firm from Harris & Miners,although I don’t believe he ever fully shook off H & M name as it was firmly,and still is, embedded within the industry! Sad day,Bewick.

Spotless ERFs in the red and green livery, usually with a neatly sheeted load on the flatbed and Devon - Scotland on the front of the cabs. That’s my first image when I here the old name again.

RIP

RIP Brian , gone, and with him some more of our haulage heritage.

I’m sorry to hear that. I thought about him only the other day after I heard local residents (who have recently moved in - same old story) were moaning about our lorries.

I remember being angered about him having a similar problem.

RIP Brian. :frowning:

Happydaze:
I’m sorry to hear that. I thought about him only the other day after I heard local residents (who have recently moved in - same old story) were moaning about our lorries.

I remember being angered about him having a similar problem.

RIP Brian. :frowning:

Yes I think that was the beginning of the end of his immaculate fleet, although he was still involved in transport for a long time afterwards. It is one of the old firms I shall always remember running into Hull Docks, along with Robsons, WJ Ridings and Bowker

If I had been a spotter it would have been his fleet to spot.

RIP brian grew up watching his lorries going up and down M5 , gone but never forgotten

Sad news. I’ve read and reread the book on his firm and it’s standing in the industry in “happier” times. RIP Brian.