Night out money

How much can be paid for a uk / euro night out without the tax :smiling_imp: man taking his cut :question:

not sure geoff as my gaffer pays us 30 quid and we are taxed on itso it works out to about 25 quid in the hand i spose

night out money eh wots that :laughing: :laughing: infact wots a night out :laughing: :laughing:

only night out i know is night out on the town :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the RHA website says :

Lorries with Sleeper Cabs
The onus is on the employer to satisfy himself that any amounts paid free of tax are no more than a reasonable reimbursement of the average allowable expenses of the driver whilst staying away from home and place of work overnight. The mere fact that a lorry has a sleeper cab does not prevent the employer paying an amount tax free up to the nationally agreed limit provided that he is satisfied that the driver did incur expenses on overnight accommodation and meals.

Where the employer knows that the driver uses the sleeper cab, he should pay free of tax only what represents a reasonable reimbursement of:

evening meal and breakfast
washing facilities
upkeep of bedding in the cab
Provided there is documentary evidence available to show that the employee concerned spent the night away from home and his normal place of employment, the Inland Revenue will accept that a payment of 75% of the nationally agreed figure does no more than reimburse the extra expense incurred when the driver uses the sleeper cab overnight. Where an employer wishes to make payments in excess of this amount without deducting tax he may do so provided he satisfies the conditions outlined above in (d)

The amounts of overnight subsistence negotiated and agreed by the Road Haulage Association with the Inland Revenue, effective from 1 January annually, are as follows:

2004 - £26.00
2003 - £25.15
2002 - £24.50
2001 - £24.30
2000 - £23.55
1999 - £23.22
1998 - £22.55
1997 - £21.75
75% of the above figures should be used where drivers use sleeper cabs.

These rates are negotiated with the Inland Revenue in January each year, and the new rates are published here:

so 75% of £26 = £19.50 tax free

i always thought that the rates where set by the area traffic commisionaire or whatever he is called.
i get £30 a night, all tax free. :wink:

shaun:
not sure geoff as my gaffer pays us 30 quid and we are taxed on itso it works out to about 25 quid in the hand i spose

Shaun, you definately should not be taxed on all of that, only on about £10 of it roughly (see figures above)

dave:
i always thought that the rates where set by the area traffic commisionaire or whatever he is called.

Its nothing at all to do with him…its the Inland Revenues baby.

:open_mouth: :confused: Doesn’t the allowance vary from region to region, county to county for some very strange reason ■■ :confused:
RHA, 75% ■■ £19.50 :open_mouth: :unamused: stick that, fools, the first figure is more like it. :imp:

I always thought the night our allowance was agreed with the relevant tax office

Whatever rate is agreed either by the RHA or the tax office or even your employer it will not be nearly enough…it never has been…and is often used by drivers as a supplement to their meagre income from unscrupulous employers…now i will bet any amount that a travelling salesman will be on 3 times as much for his night out as truckers are…so a trucker has to sleep in his truck…but why…why should he not enjoy a shower and a nice breakfast before starting work…night out money supposed to reimburse the driver for out of pocket expenses…well before i leave for work i always have a shower.then a breakfast…then i`m ready for work…whereas a lot of drivers…sleep in the truck…wake up.get dressed (thats if theyve bothered getting undressed)…wipe their eyes with their hands…and drive off for another days work…there is a great driver shortage…because they dont want to rough it anymore…they want to spend more time with their families…and they want a decent standard of living.and good working practices…the shortage can only get longer when the current band of old hands retire…i would want the same as them and a room in a hotel …with breakfast…so transport companies better wake up…cos the future driver will want this…and paying for his inconvenience of being away from his family…
have a nice day