Not good news.

Bad news for all involved…

Coryton refinery job fears after Petroplus go bankrupt

Hundreds of jobs at the Coryton oil refinery in Essex are under threat after Swiss owner Petroplus said it would file for bankruptcy.

The government has said the refinery, which supplies 20% of fuel for south-east England, is still operating.

Administrator PricewaterhouseCoopers says the priority is for work at Coryton to continue without disruption.

Other firms say they will still be able to supply fuel, but petrol retailers fear diesel prices will spike.

Steven Pearson, on behalf of the administrator, said: “Our immediate priority is to continue to operate the Coryton refinery and the Teesside storage business without disruption while the financial position is clarified and restructuring options are explored.”

He said there were plans to have a number of discussions during the next few days over the future of the site in Coryton and the business in Teesside.

Petroplus has said it will file for insolvency “as soon as possible” after failing to reach an agreement with creditors to extend deadlines for loan repayments.

‘Part of community’

As well as refining oil for use as fuel, the Coryton site - which is one of eight refineries in the UK - also imports fuel from other countries which has already been refined.

Although several lorries left the site before 0730 GMT on Tuesday, there has been no reported movement since.

Russell Jackson, an employee and representative of the Unite union, told the BBC the refinery had been at the site since the 1950s and was very much part of the local community, which would be heartbroken if it closed.

East of England MEP Richard Howitt feels “hugely sorry” for the Coryton workforce
“There are also many contractors that work on site and rely on Coryton for their living as well,” he added.

“People don’t know what’s going to happen and are insecure about the future but people are hopeful something will be done to resolve the situation and a buyer might be found.”

He said he hoped the government was concerned about the situation, and warned the UK should not have to solely rely on its energy needs coming from third parties or imports.

East of England MEP Richard Howitt also said he feared petrol supplies would be affected.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live the job losses would have a “devastating impact” on the local economy.

"I don’t want to be alarmist about this, but I don’t want to be dishonest either.

“Supplies across London and the South East could be affected, and I have been told this could impact the Olympics.”

BP is a major customer of the refinery in Coryton, and said it would be watching the situation very closely.

Essar Oil, which owns the Stanlow refinery in Ellesmere Port, has agreed to supply significant volumes of both diesel and petrol to BP, the BBC understands.

Brian Madderson of the Retail Motor Industry (RMI), which represents petrol retailers, told the BBC he expected prices to rise for a number of reasons.

He said the European Union embargo on Iranian supplies of crude oil, the Coryton issues and striking tanker drivers in Lincolnshire were all creating pressure for the industry.

“All of that is going to mean further pressure on price as we have to import for product, and I can see a new record for diesel within days.”

The striking Lincolnshire drivers, who work for road haulage firm Wincanton, are in a dispute over pay and conditions.

Unite said the seven-day walkout by 100 of its members, will affect fuel supplies to many Jet garages.

‘Financial position’

But discussing the Coryton site, a Department of Energy and Climate Change spokesman said: "We understand that a process is under way to put in place the necessary commercial arrangements to deliver the product into the market.

“Companies have already made alternative arrangements to ensure adequate supply of products are available while these commercial arrangements are being put in place.”

There has been very little movement at the refinery since the announcement was made. ExxonMobil, the owner of the Fawley Refinery on Southampton Water, told the BBC its stock levels for London and the South East remained good and it would continue to deliver to forecourts as normal.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that although Heathrow Airport has one underground pipe taking jet fuel from Coryton, it also has several others it can rely on and therefore is not believed to have any “immediate worries” for now.

London and the South East fuel prices won’t go up half as much as they will in other areas of the Country.

It wont close

My Pal works there, said he has been told they are filing for bankrupcy, and that the future of their jobs is as yet unknown.

Alot of jobs at stake there unfortunatly. Hopefully it will be a good out come, otherwise it’ll be another 1000 people out of work :cry: :imp:

Not surprising considering the price of crude oil and the amount of tax that the government want out of the finished product at the pump,that there’s zb all left for those doing all the work in turning it into a usable produuct. :unamused:

If the present operators can’t make doing the job of refining and delivering the stuff pay then why does the receiver think that anyone else can.

Is it just a coincidence that “they” intend to build a container terminal and an airport on the site?
Cheap way to get rid of the current incumbents?
Cynic, moi?

Pete the post:
Is it just a coincidence that “they” intend to build a container terminal and an airport on the site?
Cynic, moi?

I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘they’ are the government.If they are stupid enough to flog off all the North Sea oil so that now we’ve got to import oil and then tax road fuel to the point where no one can afford to refine it or use it they are probably stupid enough to finish the job by shutting down all the oil refineries and build airports and container terminals on them instead. :unamused: :unamused:

Pete the post:
Cynic, moi?

The container terminal is on the old Shell Haven site next to Coryton. It is underway at the moment and is a vast area of bugger all. The refinery that is there is a fraction of the size.

Diesel already “spiked” around here a few days ago, it shot up by about 3p a litre. I can’t work out now why petrol is sometimes 9 or even 10p a litre cheaper than diesel, its crazy. I have come to expect it from our “leaders” though. Just another kick in the guts for working people.

BanburyDan:
Diesel already “spiked” around here a few days ago, it shot up by about 3p a litre. I can’t work out now why petrol is sometimes 9 or even 10p a litre cheaper than diesel, its crazy. I have come to expect it from our “leaders” though. Just another kick in the guts for working people.

Maybe it’s because so many people decided to buy diesel cars because they are (a bit) more economical thereby increasing the demand for diesel :question: . :laughing:

Someone on here was saying fuel was going to go up by like 35p per litre by easter. :cry:

Thought it was scaremongering at the time but…

Can’t believe the gov will let the site close as it’s too important to the country, they’ll have to nationalise it if another buyer isn’t found.

Silver_Surfer:
Someone on here was saying fuel was going to go up by like 35p per litre by easter. :cry:

Thought it was scaremongering at the time but…

Can’t believe the gov will let the site close as it’s too important to the country, they’ll have to nationalise it if another buyer isn’t found.

Surely nationalisation can’t ever work because the tories have always said so. :unamused: :smiling_imp:

If fuel goes up another 35p a litre there won’t be many lorries left on the road.

Dave the Renegade:
If fuel goes up another 35p a litre there won’t be many lorries left on the road.

Probably not many cars either.

Dave the Renegade:

nevermind the lorries i wont be able to afford to go to work

Wanna rent a cave ? :wink:

Its back to the dark ages guys! They will have us doffing our caps to them next! Vive la revolucion!

Not good news for anybody in that area at all, not just the directly employed on the site be it contract/employed/agency driver, security, maintenance/building contractor, but also the indirect local economy too.

I wondered why I didn’t see my “normal” amount of fuel moving tankers on the road this morning and during the day. However I did see at least 6 moving close by, after I heard the news tonight when heading home. However they may have been “borrowing” them from the depot permanently! :unamused:

Only 6 months ago I was working on this site ago when they were looking for installing a further two pipelines through the site and the building work and maintenance work going on at the time was immense.

Lets hope someone, somewhere starts to see sense and realises this country actually needs to work to pay for itself in this world and saves it be it private or a government back venture. We can’t keep closing stuff down and rely on other countries, otherwise we won’t even be able to afford imports that we desperately need!

It stinks that Banks have money to not only pay their bonuses, but all that left over QE money flooding into the crude futures markets which leaves no margin left for the distillers!

At the same time, there’s no bankloans being made available to such an important public going concern, whilst there’s plenty of extra tick available for “expensive” loans like Credit cards!

Don’t get me started!
:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Will they get a nice set of tumblers or some model cars as part of their redundancy package?