DAF 85/95/105 engines and general reliability

I hear reports of DAF engines requiring rebuilds at low mileages due to high oil consumption , that said they are a top selling truck in this country , is because they are good reliable trucks ,or is it good dealers in some areas ? .

Other than about 4 weeks, i’ve driven nothing other than DAF 95’s and 105’s for the past 20years, and i’ve never had a problem
with excessive oil consumption.
The only memorable problem i’ve had was with the wiring-loom on a 4yr old 95, but to be fair, on the couple of occasions it required
repairs, DAF were bang-on with the diagnosis and repair.

Our oldest CFs are 57 reg but havent given any engine problems yet its just the CF is a crap cab that looks too much like a Leyland Constructor. I was reading a Trucking review of a cf the other day and I cant see why theyre praised so much… hate them but its likely Ill be getting one in a year or two :imp:

Only problem with Oil I have had was when it was being churned around with the coolant as well. Messy :frowning:

The prevoius company i worked for had a 57reg 105XF that used about a gallon of oil every 2 days something to do with the piston rings being made of to harder steel i think.But that was the only one out of the four that did it.

the big un:
The prevoius company i worked for had a 57reg 105XF that used about a gallon of oil every 2 days something to do with the piston rings being made of to harder steel i think.But that was the only one out of the four that did it.

Thanks " big un " I think you may just have answered part of my question .

shugg:

the big un:

Thanks " big un " I think you may just have answered part of my question .

Also our lease agent at the time was a complete was of space they had to go to Scania in Northampton to buy brake pads to do a routine service on my 105

We got a 95 wagon and drag on a 57 plate thats using 3-5 litres of oil a day!! Its an auto and to be honest is the worst truck i have ever driven. Compare that to my volvo i shift drag, that has never needed any oil in 5 years as a top up. The daf is on oil consumption watch they say at daf dealers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

my 95 drinks a lot of oil, its in for a smashed piston at minute should get it back next week doubtfull if itl stop drinking so much oil thou as my 2 previous dafs a 95/105 both liked the black stuff still way better then a scania though!

Muckaway:
Our oldest CFs are 57 reg but havent given any engine problems yet its just the CF is a crap cab that looks too much like a Leyland Constructor. I was reading a Trucking review of a cf the other day and I cant see why theyre praised so much… hate them but its likely Ill be getting one in a year or two :imp:

The reason the CF looks like a Leyland is because that’s where it has it’s roots.

the XF95 that i am driving uses about a gallon every 6 weeks, the other one is about the same

one i had, started to use about 3 gallons a week :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i do have my thoughts on the matter as to why it started using that much, but i don’t want to go in to the details on here :wink:

one thing i will say is, if you try to keep the level up to the max line, you are forever topping the oil up, however, if you leave it approx midway between the high and low level marks, it will tend to stay there without needing topping up :wink:

We run mainly 410 cf’s varying from 56 plate to new, mine is a 58, and runs 7 days a week and normally double shifted, 470,000kms plus anywhere from 2hrs to 4hrs a day blowing and uses about 5 lts a fortnight, 1 of the 57’s is on oil monitoring and uses 5lts in about 4 days, it has done less kms as well. these have the “mx” engine and are garbage ! :neutral_face:

we are regularly getting trucks in for pistons and liners at or place on the earlier 105’s. the liners were all polished, head gaskets Daf have solved the problem by fitting anti polishing rings on the liners or whatever the technical term they use for em are lol, sorry it aint very detailed i havent really had much to do with em

Dogmatix:
Only problem with Oil I have had was when it was being churned around with the coolant as well. Messy :frowning:

i had this problem with a DAF 55 (180)

got to spilsby yesterday morning, rang the gaffer to say i found oil in the coolant and the turbo is screaming,
(this was at 9,20am)

got back to leeds on a wrecker at 18.55pm…

to be fair though i think PACCAR engines are well built, at the end of the day they are only designed to do a basic job with minimal outlay…

Bring back Caterpillar and ■■■■■■■ engines! Our 345s will pee all over our Daf 360s.

The XF105 460 on our trunk has pretty much used excessive oil since new, all be it since our lot got together with DAF to get it eventually sorted out its using less. Also the previous 105 was the same believe it was stripped and rebuilt under warranty. A point worth noting both these trucks run double shifted 5 days week, the one on the job at the moment should have hit a million km last week, it not 3 years old until end of January 2012!

A further point when I drove the previous incarnation of the 105 the 95, a 480 it had a tendency to require a head gasket replacement approx. every 300,000 km, pretty sure it had three before it eventually left…

3 of ours on 59 plates have had turbos go all together. and one with an adblue problem :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:there 105 460s xfs

we have got some 03 reg cfs with the 380 motor in them that have done about 2m ks and they have been 100% reliable,and dont use water or oil,they have outlived the 55 reg axors that had been bought to replace them.my old r reg 85 360 did well over 2m ks before going on to local shunting,and all that had was a new gearbox.