Batteries running flat?

My company have threatened to charge drivers for the batteries running flat. The have also threatened to discipline those found with tvs dvds and laptops in their trucks, is this allowed. I rely on my tv whilst away all week. I also have a problem with my batteries, they will drop as low as 21.6 volts some nights, it will start only just but i have reported it and our fitters say they are fine. The water level is just above the plates inside but around 4 inches from the top of the battery, i do understand that they need space to expand whilst hot. Any advice on these matters would be appreciated. thanks

Time to find a new job. Sound like a right bunch of ■■■■■■ Or buy some jump leads. You’ll always find someone to give you a jump.

Just leave the engine running, they’ll soon put new batteries on if they think its costing them in diesel.

If youre away all week what do they expect you to do when youre parked up. Time for a change if theyre that petty.

ukjon1:
My company have threatened to charge drivers for the batteries running flat. The have also threatened to discipline those found with tvs dvds and laptops in their trucks, is this allowed. I rely on my tv whilst away all week. I also have a problem with my batteries, they will drop as low as 21.6 volts some nights, it will start only just but i have reported it and our fitters say they are fine. The water level is just above the plates inside but around 4 inches from the top of the battery, i do understand that they need space to expand whilst hot. Any advice on these matters would be appreciated. thanks

Do they pay for your parking, if so just make sure you are parked in a pub or truckstop with a tV, if not, tell them to zb off anyway.

The electrolyte level should be just above the plates, and fitters always say batteries are fine. How old are they or how old is the truck, winter is coming and if they are letting you down now, give it 2 months and a long overnight rest with the night heater on and see

This is a subject that really gets on my goat! Pretty much every company I’ve ever worked at seems to be under the illusion that batteries last forever. Then when you go in workshop they point at the stuff in your cab and say no wonder with all that in there! I generally feel like telling them to ■■■■ off. It’s 2011 and I live in my truck, I’m allowed to have some electronics! Bloody cheapskates. Batteries like tyres are consumables.

Any half decent fitter can test the batteries.
Get the batteries drop tested, takes a few minutes and will show a weak cell (electrolyte bubbling under load).
Then, fit a DC amp clamp to the main battery lead when you start her up, should be able to see the amps the batteries are absorbing. Low amps = battery in not good health.

Or as above, just keep the engine running if they’re going to be pricks.

the biggest drain on batteries is the fridge.

cieranc:
Any half decent fitter can test the batteries.
Get the batteries drop tested, takes a few minutes and will show a weak cell (electrolyte bubbling under load).
Then, fit a DC amp clamp to the main battery lead when you start her up, should be able to see the amps the batteries are absorbing. Low amps = battery in not good health.

Or as above, just keep the engine running if they’re going to be pricks.

I find drop testing works well, the bollockings only lasts for about a week :laughing:

I had the same problem with the batteries on my truck while working for that well known Norfolk low loader company who runs blue trucks, its your fault I was told but we will replace the alternator. Its the batteries says I but to no avail. One week later the motor would not start and after a call out to start it I had to run in and get…2 new batteries fitted. Bosses are never, ever wrong and all drivers are ■■■■■■ eejits
And they never bothered answering my last email recently asking if they needed a driver either :slight_smile:

switchlogic:
Time to find a new job. Sound like a right bunch of [zb]. Or buy some jump leads. You’ll always find someone to give you a jump.

What you do in your spare time is your business! :laughing:

bigvern1:

switchlogic:
Time to find a new job. Sound like a right bunch of [zb]. Or buy some jump leads. You’ll always find someone to give you a jump.

What you do in your spare time is your business! :laughing:

I think you may have misread my post old bean. :wink:

Yeah, yeah…I know! :sunglasses:

In this day and age trucks could have a split charge system at not much cost. That would take so much strain off the main batteries.
In the real world though a flat battery is a nice little earner for the dealer on a callout.

It’s not hard to run yer’ engine now and again to recharge though is it? :unamused:

i changed my batts last year and they were 6years old i have a daf xf when i fitted the new pair i got the the biggest rating possible.I have a fridge wich is factory fitted and i never turned of the only time it is turned of is when the lorry goes for a service and i never have a problem but with my first lorry i had a after market fridge and this would drain the batts i have atv dvd combo which is an arvtex which is not the cheapest but it has a low batt drain again i have no problem and to make a meal or a cup of tea i use gas so ther is no big drain on power my own view is people were up ther batts by turning the lorry of and leaving all the main lights on and when i have told people this they just say so wot when i am in a q i then turn the lights on to side i belieave all these little things help to extend the life just common sense really

I got about 3 Weeks twice a Lorry with Flat Battery.Everytime another.
No new Battery.
so i said.How im doing that tail Lift delivery?
Let the Engine running.
I refused going out and Job cancelled the next few Days. the one Time for a whole Week

Just leave your engine on you’ll soon not notice the noise.

What do they want you to do sit in the dark twiddling your thumbs for a few hours before going to bed?! :laughing:

If you have isotrak fitted i can tell you what lead to remove so they dont know its running and wont affect your fuel figures.

How much do batteries cost? And how hard would it be to fit a battery guard ie it cuts out so you have enough to start engine?

switchlogic:

Make sure you’ve got all your lights and heater and electrical gadgets on when you jump it because it can sometimes blow them.

As Skids says, I think a split charge relay and spare leisure battery is the way to go, must be somewhere to lash it down. Problem solved but just remember to remove it for the annual test, unless its secured properly.