Blackwall Tunnel Northbound New Road Layout

On the approach to the northbound Blackwall, the inside lane is now for over 2.8m or 9ft. Anything in the middle lane today is being pulled over and a stern talking too. I believe from next week tickets are being given out. Make sure you if you are over 2.8m or 9ft you stay in the inside lane, and for God’s sack if over 13ft or 4.0m you stay away, they don’t like that!

This won’t stop overheight foreign trucks entering the tunnel! Behind one last week and the controller on the speakers blared out - ‘‘congratulations - two sets of red lights and you’ve finally stopped!’’ :smiley: :smiley:
Bit wasted on the Bulgarian driver really but we were still held up for ten minutes or so. Goodness knows how far back the queues went by then! - probably past the Sun in the Sand and it was only mid morning!
Don’t know if drivers still get fined - guess they do as they are contravening road regulations. Once they use the escape road its a long way back around to M25/Dartford or a long wait at Woolwich ferry. :smiley:
They say the Victorians were brilliant engineers - so why did they build the tunnel so low in the first place on a major arterial route, surely they must have envisaged that one day 40 tonne 4.0m high trucks would be wanting to use it to get into London, Docklands and the Olympic site :smiley: :smiley:

I stopped behind Johnny F. at the red lights one day. The bloke on the mic coundn’t get the driver (over the speakers) to pull off onto the overheight escape route. He then shouts out ’ Hey you in the blue DAF curtainsider - get out and tell the foreign driver to go up the slip road’ :open_mouth:
Like his little ■■■■■, I did :exclamation:

Interesting since the ‘foreigners’ run at 4 metres. Let’s just bash the foreigners again

roadhog69:
This won’t stop overheight foreign trucks entering the tunnel! Behind one last week and the controller on the speakers blared out - ‘‘congratulations - two sets of red lights and you’ve finally stopped!’’ :smiley: :smiley:
Bit wasted on the Bulgarian driver really but we were still held up for ten minutes or so. Goodness knows how far back the queues went by then! - probably past the Sun in the Sand and it was only mid morning!
Don’t know if drivers still get fined - guess they do as they are contravening road regulations. Once they use the escape road its a long way back around to M25/Dartford or a long wait at Woolwich ferry. :smiley:
They say the Victorians were brilliant engineers - so why did they build the tunnel so low in the first place on a major arterial route, surely they must have envisaged that one day 40 tonne 4.0m high trucks would be wanting to use it to get into London, Docklands and the Olympic site :smiley: :smiley:

Some say the Blackwall Bridge was a major development in its day, but it sunk when they dug the London underground. :wink:

theonlybigman:
On the approach to the northbound Blackwall, the inside lane is now for over 2.8m or 9ft. Anything in the middle lane today is being pulled over and a stern talking too. I believe from next week tickets are being given out. Make sure you if you are over 2.8m or 9ft you stay in the inside lane, and for God’s sack if over 13ft or 4.0m you stay away, they don’t like that!

Agree!

theonlybigman:

Photo © Stephen Craven (cc-by-sa/2.0)

I cannot see what has changed, it has been like this for years, even the incorrect height markings

I still find this amazing that what must be the most important river crossing into London & they are still relying on something that was built in the dark ages. :unamused:

The amount of years and not to mention disruption (donkeys years in fact) they have spent trying to reform this crossing when they could have slung a decent bridge across at a fraction of the price given the political will & not to mention the Olympics looming next year.

switchlogic:
Interesting since the ‘foreigners’ run at 4 metres. Let’s just bash the foreigners again

Triggered the warnings a few years back pulling a 4 metre trailer,trouble was , it was a tilt and it must have bellowed up as i went under the sensors. I felt like a right ■■■■ :blush:
It went through the Tunnel du Chat no problem two days previous :confused:

Suedehead:

switchlogic:

Triggered the warnings a few years back pulling a 4 metre trailer,trouble was , it was a tilt and it must have bellowed up as i went under the sensors. I felt like a right [zb] :blush:
It went through the Tunnel du Chat no problem two days previous :confused:

This is exactly the problem. they are warnings but there is someone taking great delight in stopping any truck they like and fining them at the point of no return, why not have the warning beacon much further back like Shooters Hill Road.

As Luke said, the majority of the foreign hauliers are already running at 4.0m

switchlogic:

+1, why have a go when the signs clearly state 4.0m which is the height of us johnny foreigners :unamused: :unamused:

roadhog69:

They were brilliant engineers, they were far - sighted enough to build a railway viaduct with the piers just far enough apart to get the M25 through nicely and another one near Stockport for the M60.
These two achievements more than make up for the slight error with the Blackhole Tunnel. :laughing:

switchlogic:

Was waiting foir that one lol

Wheel Nut:

theonlybigman:

I cannot see what has changed, it has been like this for years, even the incorrect height markings

Incorrect height? Should it be lower or higher? Don’t the signs state 13 ft max now? Has it really sunk?

axletramp:

roadhog69:

They were brilliant engineers, they were far - sighted enough to build a railway viaduct with the piers just far enough apart to get the M25 through nicely and another one near Stockport for the M60.
These two achievements more than make up for the slight error with the Blackhole Tunnel. :laughing:

The Blacwall Tunnel was allegedly constructed in this way to stop the Kent farmers overloading their hay and straw trailers on their way to Essex. The bends, apart from geological reasons, were to prevent the horses from bolting when they literally ‘‘saw the light at the end of the tunnel’’. If it was straight they would be spooked by entering the darkness and then seeing the light at the other end! :smiley:
It is grim to think that this is one of the main access routes to the Olympic site, together with the Woolwich ferry!

I did read that one lane in each tunnel was going to be used as an olympic lane :angry: :imp: . If true
welcome to traffic hell.

Snudger:

Wheel Nut:

Incorrect height? Should it be lower or higher? Don’t the signs state 13 ft max now? Has it really sunk?

It is a library photo and maybe they have replaced the signs, it is about time, but my point stands about signing a diversion route, either to the ferry or over the bridges.

If it is truly 13’ now then the foreigners will all be banned as that is less at 3.96m