Policeman killed on M1 J39/40

I must be lucky ,when I have been pulled they have been ok, I have never noticed a truck getting a once over on the hard shoulder,on the other hand if there is an insecure load or somthing hanging off they do right to pull them, before a death results…I think they are ok can you imagine if they were not keeping an eye on things it would be like the wild west…RIP my thoughts with his family.

fuse:
I must be lucky ,when I have been pulled they have been ok, I have never noticed a truck getting a once over on the hard shoulder,on the other hand if there is an insecure load or somthing hanging off they do right to pull them, before a death results…I think they are ok can you imagine if they were not keeping an eye on things it would be like the wild west…RIP my thoughts with his family.

^^^+1 (waiting to be accused of being a copper - again!)

Ten Hut Stripey! :wink:

lets hope they check his mobile and see if he was using it, and if so throw the book at him…
amazing how many drivers think hiding behind a curtain or using the left hand to use the phones hides you :unamused: maybe they cant see how much people passing can in the side mirror :unamused:
but then half the shunts on motorways are prob caused by people ■■■■■■■ about with a phone…
rip plod

The Topliner belonged to EPS from Manchester, as it was quite clearly shown on our local news last night.

On first sight, there didn’t appear to be a lot of damage to it, but the news crews were kept on the bridge above the scene as you go up the hill from J39, and obviously the camera would only be able to pan so far.

A bleak day for our region.

Ken.

bigvern1:
Just wondering if the usual suspects will laugh this sad event off, and congratulate the truck driver? :unamused:
Very sad to see anyone killed, regardless of their profession.
R.I.P. Mr Goodlad.

bigvern1:
We don’t know the circumstances. So let’s not condemn him yet!

bigvern1:
Hear hear. Though some live in each others pockets. Careful what you say and to whom! :wink:

bigvern1:
Too many scared to speak on here…Though some get the right to say what they like.

:exclamation: :exclamation: Alert !!! Everything ok ‘bigvern1’ ? :smiley:

Juat had a call from a friend who was watching this evenings news, and it revealed he was from Goole.

And the West Yorkshire Chief Constable was at Woolley Edge services today giving interviews to the press.

The unit and trailer are being kept secure not a mile from my house.

Ken.

How the hell you dont see those LED flashing blues I dont know, should go to prison for a long time and never beable to drive again, a car or truck.

there so powerful now days that you can spot them from a fair distance

Alcpone:
How the hell you dont see those LED flashing blues I dont know, should go to prison for a long time and never beable to drive again, a car or truck.

Once the copper is stationary on the shoulder they are flashing reds these days, still very visible though.

“The Final Inspection”

The policeman stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining.
Just as brightly as his brass.

“Step forward now, policeman.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My church have you been true?”

The policeman squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain’t,
Because those of us who carry badges
can’t always be a saint.

I’ve had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was rough,
and sometimes I’ve been violent,
Because the streets are awfully tough.

But I never took a penny,
That wasn’t mine to keep…
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I’ve wept unmanly tears.

I know I don’t deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fear.

If you’ve a place for me here,
Lord, It needn’t be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don’t…I’ll understand.

There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod.
As the policeman waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

“Step forward now, policeman,
You’ve borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on Heaven’s streets,
You’ve done your time in hell.”

RIP PC goodlad

This accident location was exactly straight opposite another fatal accident only a month or so ago, the one where 10 people were arrested.

■■■■ happens.

Yeras ago I can remember truckers and the like would move over either a full lane or a half of one if safe to do so,when someone was stopped on the hard shoulder,but now they just seem to go past at warp factor 1.
Always face the oncoming traffic when on fast speed roads,that way hopefully we stand a chance of seeing what is going to hit us.
Stefluc

Alcpone:

Condemned on here again I see before a full investigation and knowing the full facts. :unamused:

When i am dealing with a broken down vehicle there is a saying that runs through my head “never turn your back on traffic”

Coffeeholic:
It’s sad Mark Goodlad died just doing his job and I feel for his family and friends at this time.

However the death of one officer does not, and never will, change my overall opinion of the police. I still despise them with a passion but I am certainly not jumping around and punching the air in delight at this event.

Exactly my thoughts as well as it happens.

harry:
[zb] happens.

What is ■■■■ about this?

Stefluc:
Yeras ago I can remember truckers and the like would move over either a full lane or a half of one if safe to do so,when someone was stopped on the hard shoulder,but now they just seem to go past at warp factor 1.
Always face the oncoming traffic when on fast speed roads,that way hopefully we stand a chance of seeing what is going to hit us.
Stefluc

I move over when possible, but sometimes there’s nowhere to move to when there’s traffic to your right.

If the police car was on the hard shoulder then the lorry would have had to have been travelling on the hard shoulder to collide. Whether the truck driver was aware that he was approaching the stationary police car at all, or whether he saw the police car but didn’t realise he was running along the hard shoulder on a collision course is not yet clear.

Simply paying attention would have prevented this accident by not allowing his lorry to run on the hard shoulder in the first place. Thats not condemn the truck driver just yet, we don’t know what the exact circumstances were.

I once saw a very near miss with a mobile works unit in Germany, when a truck in front was tailgating another, and was drifting slightly onto the hard shoulder every now and then as if he was distracted. Because he was so close to the vehicle in front, he could not see that he was approaching some works on the hard shoulder despite it being a long straight bit of road. I saw him drift onto the hard shoulder as he was approaching the works, at which point I stamped on the anchors in anticipation of a massive collision, but he drifted back into his lane and he appeared to miss the works van by inches. He was oblivious to the works until he scraped passed them, after which he braked to ease off from the vehicle in front, and then he pulled into a lay by a few miles down the road, presumably to change his undercrackers…

Condolences to the policemans family and thoughts for the truck driver who I’m sure will be finding it very hard to live with himself knowing that he’s killed someone.

mickyblue:

harry:
[zb] happens.

What is [zb] about this?

[zb] happens