Fitting an inverter

You can get anderson kits on ebay, just slip the fitter a drink on your next service and robert’s your dads brother

Don’t use a 12v inverter on a 24volt system and wire to one battery.
I did this years ago for an amplifier for my stereo and the system drains the one battery, overcharges the other and it will blow up over time as mine did! Acid everywhere and the top blew off the battery!
I got a “ring 2100 watt” one from T2 at t2retail.co.uk/Inverters/Rin … V-inverter
I mounted it into the nearside outside cupboard of my FH and connected to the battery with anderson plugs of fleabay. This has a remote fob to switch it off inside your cab without messing about getting out to unplug etc.
I can run a cheap toaster (£4.97 from asda) and a microwave at the same time with this no problems. (asda 700watt microwave £35) this is inside the internal cupboard above top bunk via small extension lead. Fits nicely. The power drain from the microwave to start is 1200watts, so this inverter is ample. The display shows to current being drawn, when the microwave is working and the toaster, the total drawn is approx 1800watts.

jetskimatty:
Don’t use a 12v inverter on a 24volt system and wire to one battery.
I did this years ago for an amplifier for my stereo and the system drains the one battery, overcharges the other and it will blow up over time as mine did! Acid everywhere and the top blew off the battery!
I got a “ring 2100 watt” one from T2 at t2retail.co.uk/Inverters/Rin … V-inverter
I mounted it into the nearside outside cupboard of my FH and connected to the battery with anderson plugs of fleabay. This has a remote fob to switch it off inside your cab without messing about getting out to unplug etc.
I can run a cheap toaster (£4.97 from asda) and a microwave at the same time with this no problems. (asda 700watt microwave £35) this is inside the internal cupboard above top bunk via small extension lead. Fits nicely. The power drain from the microwave to start is 1200watts, so this inverter is ample. The display shows to current being drawn, when the microwave is working and the toaster, the total drawn is approx 1800watts.

Is it worth buying 1 like this or a cheaper 1 from eBay.
The cheapest I’ve seen them is £266 from sewells in Leeds.

Driveroneuk:
As has been said, hard wiring direct to battery via a suitably rated fuse is the way to go.
(You’ll have to find/work out the max. ampage it should pull)

1000watts = 1000watts, no matter what the voltage

so if your drawing 1000watts off a 24volt supply its 1000/24 (answer = 41.66 amps) :wink:

42amps is a lot of juice to be pulling while your parked

continious use not recomended, usless you have shares in the local Brake-down service provider :blush:

think about it, if you park up and leave all the lights on (including headlights)
even with all the trailer markers, you only drawing about 250watts (10.4 Amps)

And how quickly will leaving ALL the lights on, discharge your truck batteries :question:

Well 1000watts is 4x more load ( Hence = 4 times quicker ) :exclamation:

=============================================================

Might be better to buy a 2nd hand 750/1000watt 230v petrol generator:
it will have standardised 230v 3 pin plug sockets and protective trips etc.

“protective trips” are a great safetly asset ( 230v is mains supply voltage )

For a suitable reward your workshop oily rag:
Might be game making & fiting some suitable brackets to mount it onto the back of your cab etc.

Modern small generator’s are wisper quite, and compact!

If you absolutly must have an invertor fitted,
realy this is a workshop job, for a qualified automotive electical engineer/Sparky.

[enjoy] de 2xQ

im just wondering what is the best way of fitting a 1000w inverter i have spoken to a couple of lads and they all have them wired into the andersons socket using the cowbell lead and is easy enough to do it yourself

Best way for a 1000w inverter, make sure you stick a fuse between the batteries and inverter.

I would have thought you’d be likely to get more replies if this was moved to the PDF :wink:

tachograph:
I would have thought you’d be likely to get more replies if this was moved to the PDF :wink:

I agree. :wink:

‘’ andersons socket using the cowbell lead ‘’…
please explain to an ignoramus wot the hell they are?
A heavy cable to prevent power loss and keep it as short as possible direct to the batteries with fitted fuse should suffice.

raymundo:
A heavy cable to prevent power loss and keep it as short as possible direct to the batteries with fitted fuse should suffice.

its the socket at the back of the unit for powering a tail lift and the the lead is what is used to plug into the socket

cliffton 27:

raymundo:

its the socket at the back of the unit for powering a tail lift and the the lead is what is used to plug into the socket

The reason most people use the anderson socket is so they can disconnect it if the cab needs tilting for service etc.

Doh!, I have used them many times, must have been having a dead brain cell moment.

raymundo:
Doh!, I have used them many times, must have been having a dead brain cell moment.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But the majority of tractor units don’t have an Anderson socket.

As has been said, hard wiring direct to battery via a suitably rated fuse is the way to go.

You can get anderson kits on ebay, just slip the fitter a drink on your next service and robert’s your dads brother

Driveroneuk:
But the majority of tractor units don’t have an Anderson socket.

our units do have em and a fitter told me there is a big fuse in them too so ur covered if anything blows

I’ve ordered this inverter. can anyone tell me any tips/do’s & don’ts for it?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 3991wt_952

cliffton 27:

don’t plug it in anywhere on a truck ! it’s only 12 volt :exclamation:

It’'ll do fine so long as its wired to one battery. So the cow bells idea is out.

If it was my truck I’d be looking to trace the source of the 12v socket and see if the feed to that is large enough for the job. That does not mean using the wire that feeds the 12v socket as it will be relatively small.

Neutral can go to ground at any convenient point.

Denis F:

cliffton 27:

don’t plug it in anywhere on a truck ! it’s only 12 volt :exclamation:

i know didnt realise untill the other day :blush: gonna send it back and sort out gettin a 24v one