Grumpy's on the road again

And doing the hardest job I’ve ever done! As some of you know, I’ve done plant and commercial vehicle movements in the past, and have been looking for something similar, requiring tramping.

I applied for a job that said “must have car transporter experience”. Well I haven’t, but applied anyway, saying that I did have some transferable skills. I had also looked on their website and saw that the artic featured, was ‘only’ a two-deck and so thought I could probably handle that…

Went for the interview, which lasted 13 hours after an impromptu trip up to Scotland to see how to load a Ferrari, and was offered the job of driving the arctic. Yee-Ha

This was two weeks ago and I am now a crumpled, exhausted, shadow of my former self! Now I know that to you ‘proper’ transporter guys out there, my outfit is a baby, (5 cars), and would probably constitute an easy day, but to someone new to this line of work it’s a different story…

Just some of last week’s events:

I spent ages sitting in a car looking for the ignition, to find that there isn’t one - it just knows you have the keys.

I’ve hurled myself into the back of a car, ending up in a heap on the back seat so that I can get out of the back doors.

I’ve had knocking knees edging along the side of the upper deck of the trailer trying not to fall off.

My back has put in a written complaint due to bending down to lift ramps every half hour.

I’ve only had time to eat the grand total of two sandwiches.

My gas cooker hasn’t even seen the light of day. Thank god for Coffee Nation.

I keep wondering how safe the top deck is while I’m underneath it, trapped in a car I’m trying to manoeuvre through a gap 1 inch wider.

Every drop I get to (some involve a return car), I have to take off the majority of cars to get the one I want.

Trying to be careful, but being told that I’m a bit slow.

On the plus side:

Truck is fine - not a wendy house, plenty of power for the work required and a comfortable bed (DAF 95 2003 plate)

It’s a paying job, and I’m back out there

No-one else uses the truck

I’m learning stuff

The transporter guys generally seem like a friendly bunch - and happy to help.

Company pays for parking

So, yes, I’m glad I’ve found a job. I like the challenge, but would appreciate some breathing time. And huge respect to the proper transporter drivers out there.

Having fun then drive!!! :wink: :wink:

HA HA…Good luck! :sunglasses:

Wel done & good luck with the job

do we need to keep a eye out for cars falling off transporter then grumps?.. :smiley:

I’m glad to hear you’ve found yourself another job back out on the road.
I’ll keep my eye out for you, especially if your night’ing out near my local hostelry :wink: give me a shout if your up my way and I’ll buy you a cider
Remember to keep the wheels on the ground and the shiney side up lol

well done Grumpy!!

Well Done Grumps. It will all come together, for me being a bit of a petrolhead, it was very interesting job and the only reason I left it, was woman related. I drove a covered carrier which was a little more difficult to get in and out of the cars, if you couldn’t put them on in the correct order.

My company didn’t care about how long it took to load, they would prefer if it took 2 hours rather than damage anything or miss anything on the vehicle appraisals.

The one thing they were funny about was setting fire to the load :laughing:

PM the details if you prefer and I may know some of the drivers.

wirralpete:
do we need to keep a eye out for cars falling off transporter then grumps?.. :smiley:

Cheeky git :laughing:

Thanks everyone! I’m sure it will all come together eventually. I’ll post some pics at the weekend.

grumpybum:

wirralpete:

Cheeky git :laughing:

Thanks everyone! I’m sure it will all come together eventually. I’ll post some pics at the weekend.

Just be careful with the photos, we had to sign a confidentiality clause!!

Just be careful with the photos, we had to sign a confidentiality clause!!

was just about to take an interesting picture where i was tipping on saturday but being in a nuclear power station dont think it would of gone down too well!..lol

grumps mate sure you will have the job sussed and sorted soon good to see you on the road again :smiley: