Wearing a tie for work

if you ask me i wouldnt give two hoots what people think if i had to wear a tie even if i did feel a little bit of a spoon if thats what the TM wants thats what he will get

with certain outfits i find it easier not to ask questions but just do

dafpower:
if you ask me i wouldnt give two hoots what people think if i had to wear a tie even if i did feel a little bit of a spoon if thats what the TM wants thats what he will get

with certain outfits i find it easier not to ask questions but just do

Don’t think anyone was asking actually. They might have been two years ago however! :confused: :smiley:

Spent 6 years having to wear a green shirt & tie. I wouldn’t want to do It again…

I was chatting to a Samworth self employed driver kast night who was sporting a tie. The whole ensemble was let down by the knot having dropped over the day, looking slightly askew and the knot being tighter than a nuns nasty. I fancy going to work in a suit for a change from the casuals but a suit and hi viz is a fashion no no. And I don’t thing brogues have steel toe caps.

I know that the guys at Doccombe in Wilts get full uniform which is shirt and tie also. If pay is ok i’d wear one, atm though im stuck in company logo polo shirt.

When I drove for Hays years ago , we were given 5 white shirts , 2 ties , 2 blue jumpers and 3 pairs of trousers . I had no problem going to work looking smart , and it was all free , although some of the drivers still managed to look like Stig of the Dump wearing the same . Now THAT is a skill :stuck_out_tongue:

Hiya i wore a Green tie light green shirt and a green drivers suit for 15 years(no i did’nt work for him)
my boss said he wanted a smat looking drivers. we had a good time with him. first we ripped a tie and told
him it was tangled up in a open top drum fastener and hurt my neck, thats when we got ties on a elastic strip,
we told him they was silly so we got tie’s with velcro(made special)so the tie could’nt get caught in machinery.
he must have spent a fortune on ties alone. trying to keep us safe at work.
some times eddies men would come and sit with me as the thought i was one from that stable.
the company i worked for was a shell subsidery and payed very very well so wearing green did’nt bother me as
600 a week 12 years ago for 4 and half days was’nt bad money plus expenses.they even had our trucks valeted
3 times a year.
John

Er, no.

I’d only get egg or burger relish down it anyway :laughing: :laughing:

I think lorry drivers look smart wearing a tie and makes them look professional.

Its not fun wearing a tie now its getting warmer - Im roasting behind the wheel of the coach, even with the aircon on full wack :blush:

Most drivers wouldnt look smart in a Saville Row suit, a tie just makes a scruff look pretentious as well as giving some office jockey a false sense of superiority by making them conformist and subservient. A driver especially a wagon driver wearing a tie is a joke at best and as for corparate image , do you really think a goods in clerk gives a monkies or that it influences anyone awarding a contract, get real!!!

oldsid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Most drivers wouldnt look smart in a Saville Row suit, a tie just makes a scruff look pretentious as well as giving some office jockey a false sense of superiority by making them conformist and subservient. A driver especially a wagon driver wearing a tie is a joke at best and as for corparate image , do you really think a goods in clerk gives a monkies or that it influences anyone awarding a contract, get real!!!

Which would you rather see as a member of the public , a smartly dressed , clean , neat driver or some of the embarrassing sights I normally see . Sometimes I can see why our image is what it is , clearly some drivers could not give a flyin ■■■■ about standards of hygene and personal cleanliness . Sometimes , you don’t know who you may be standing near in an MSA , it could be your bosses potential client for instance :wink: :wink:

shade:

oldsid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Which would you rather see as a member of the public , a smartly dressed , clean , neat driver or some of the embarrassing sights I normally see . Sometimes I can see why our image is what it is , clearly some drivers could not give a flyin [zb] about standards of hygene and personal cleanliness . Sometimes , you don’t know who you may be standing near in an MSA , it could be your bosses potential client for instance :wink: :wink:

You missed my point that some wheel jockey wearing a tie wont influence anyone awarding a contract, its all about margins and results not a fashion parade, and just to reiterate a pig in a dress is a pig in a dress

bubsy06:
no, im a lorry driver not an office monkey

+^^^^^
Leave it to the tesco toss pots to wear, we aren’t even allowed to do up our top button let alone wear a tie…

just to reiterate a pig in a dress is a pig in a dress

very true , but a pig in a nice dress is more pleasing on the eye than a pig covered in ■■■■

HTH

:laughing:

shade:

just to reiterate a pig in a dress is a pig in a dress

very true , but a pig in a nice dress is more pleasing on the eye than a pig covered in [zb]

HTH

:laughing:

Probably a bad example as I quite like pigs and didnt mean to offend them!! :smiley: :smiley: I just see a tie on a driver a little over the top, I dont expect thepaperboy to wear one or my dustbin men or the guy in the local fish shop, I,m only interested in how good his chips are!

I use to wear a tie in the winter months when driving for F. Tuckers . Found it kept your neck warm, but better still I found I got all the best clean jobs which ■■■■■■ off some drivers.

We wore ties on Fed Ex but were paid a high rate to wear them. We wore them when our on the road on Tesco along with a white shirt and again were paid more than most to wear them.
I wish the had better dress standards over here, instead I mostly see scruffy, long haired, hillbillys with straggly beards and the sleeves cut off their shirts… Put me in charge and we’d need a lot of new drivers because I would sack the lot of dirty hicks.

I wear a shirt and tie everyday, can’t see the problem.

Pat Hasler:
We wore them when our on the road on Tesco along with a white shirt and again were paid more than most to wear them.

I remember running out of Fenny Lock Tesco around 1995-96(ish) on the agency and having to turn up in a white shirt and black tie - or they would turn you away if not!! I actually didn’t mind. Kiln Farm you didn’t have to do that as I recall - though didn’t start running out of Kiln Farm (similar agency) until around 1997(ish). Tesco ties and Agency Drivers didn’t last long - mind you neither did it with the regulars as I recall!!