Insurance scam by eastern european drivers

They will buy cheap insurance in their own country,and wont inform the insurance firm that they live full time in the uk,they will keep the same number plate,the trick is then to get on a day trip ferry to Calais for the day,to show the uk police they have left the uk within the 6 month period,the police know what is going on,as when they get pulled over,the driver will have his hand in the glove box to produce his ferry ticket.
The police have said, they do not have time to prove the fraud,as it it takes days to gather the evidence,and they have quoted they should concentrate on more serious matters.
If you and i,got caught with no insurance,the car will be crushed,points and a fine,that is a serious matter,as the punishment is a long walk home,or loss of employment.
How can this scam be stopped,a Romanian driver will pay 7 times more for insurance in the uk,so the temptation is there.

My son in law used to do that when he was living in the uk, and his car was registered in holland…used to park anywhere, and no one bothered him…so this scam is the same type of thing, although i would assume that their insurance is only third party…and with the cost of insurance, i dont blame them…in fact i was thinking of registering my car in Bulgaria, and using it in the uk…only problem is the cost of re-registering because its taxed on the size of the engine, and mine is 3 litres…so its not worth the cost…

Talking of scams…the europarliament are instigating a 25% increase in Diesel prices…which will of course impact our transport systems throughout the land…it will cause masive price hikes, massive unemployment, and for what ?..Already the germans are protesting that they will not be able to sell diesel cars, and the switch from diesel to petrol will increase the co2 emissions far greater than a diesel ever will, adding even more pressure on our planet…when will our great government give us a referendum to pull away from these power hungry eurocrats…and live our own lives independently…i always say that they couldnt beat us in 2 world wars...so theyre doing it the diplomatic way…when will this madness end ■■

truckyboy:
My son in law used to do that when he was living in the uk, and his car was registered in holland…used to park anywhere, and no one bothered him…so this scam is the same type of thing, although i would assume that their insurance is only third party…and with the cost of insurance, i dont blame them…in fact i was thinking of registering my car in Bulgaria, and using it in the uk…only problem is the cost of re-registering because its taxed on the size of the engine, and mine is 3 litres…so its not worth the cost…

Talking of scams…the europarliament are instigating a 25% increase in Diesel prices…which will of course impact our transport systems throughout the land…it will cause masive price hikes, massive unemployment, and for what ?..Already the germans are protesting that they will not be able to sell diesel cars, and the switch from diesel to petrol will increase the co2 emissions far greater than a diesel ever will, adding even more pressure on our planet…when will our great government give us a referendum to pull away from these power hungry eurocrats…and live our own lives independently…i always say that they couldnt beat us in 2 world wars...so theyre doing it the diplomatic way…when will this madness end ■■

You get a vote every 4-5 years, ain’t that enough? Of course if you wasted that by voting Labour,Tory or LibDem then you only have yourself to blame!

Honestly Bob, I’m surprised at you. You’re certainly old enough to know better!

Before he came to power…

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … endum.html

Now he’s in power…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12689607

Blair/Brown/Clegg etc are no different!

To change things you have to upset the status quo occasionally and do something different.

toby1234abc:
They will buy cheap insurance in their own country,and wont inform the insurance firm that they live full time in the uk

They don’t have to. Unlike British insurance, many other countries do not limit time spent abroad :wink:

So this is nothing wrong insurancewise.

Off course Britain requires that if you live there more than half year, you should reregister your car to the British plates, and then insure it here, but if you haven’t done it, you broke only British law. You are OK with a Polish law, therefore your insurance is still valid.

So I am sorry to dissapoint you, they break the law by not registering car in Britain and not paying road tax here, but there is nothing wrong with their insurance.

The problem is different other way: if you go to Europe in your British car, you have usually your insurance valid only three months. So after 3 months you are no longer insured, even though you don’t need to reregister your car yet, as you have 6 months to do it (or you can’t do it at all in case of RHD cars in Poland).

If you and i,got caught with no insurance,the car will be crushed,points and a fine,that is a serious matter,as the punishment is a long walk home,or loss of employment.
How can this scam be stopped,a Romanian driver will pay 7 times more for insurance in the uk,so the temptation is there.

I can’t say for Romania, but in case of Poland there is no scam. Your insurance is still valid.

My car is on Polish plates and is insured at all times however long it is out the country, it was the same when i lived in Denmark, I would have thought the Uk would have a way of making it difficult or different. Orys is correct, after 6 months of living in Denmark I had to register by RHD car to Danish plates, so in that respect its not possible to have a car full time in another EU country not on local plates, but insurance is not the problem. I pay “road fund” tax when i fill up in Poland, not a yearly paid tax, so when I am in the UK its all free.

I lived in Spain between 2000 and 2008 and the number of Brits I met out there who run UK cars with no tax mot or insurance was disgusting.

What we should have is a European law that puts all European vehicles details into one database so that we can catch the crooks, wherever they come from.

Andulucian cops had a purge on Brit drivers a few years ago to combat driving paper irregularities.

schrodingers cat:
I lived in Spain between 2000 and 2008 and the number of Brits I met out there who run UK cars with no tax mot or insurance was disgusting

I couldn’t agree more, makes my blood boil the amount of brits driving around thinking they are getting away with it :imp: :imp:
what happens if one of these smug idiots runs into my mrs or even worse knocks my little girl over? with no MOT or tax their insurance is invalid.
you have 183 days to register the vehicle onto spanish plates or they will confiscate the car, they regularly park outside the schools on the 1st day of term and make a note of the number plates on mummys 4x4 then return on the last day before the summer holidays with the list of number plates and if you can’t prove the car has left spain then bye bye mummys 4x4.
and before anyone mentions roadtax we pay it in spain as well but it goes to the local town hall so at least you know which politicians are squandering it :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:

schrodingers cat:
I lived in Spain between 2000 and 2008 and the number of Brits I met out there who run UK cars with no tax mot or insurance was disgusting

what happens if one of these smug idiots runs into my mrs or even worse knocks my little girl over? with no MOT or tax their insurance is invalid.

I don’t know how it’s solved in Spain, or in UK, but in Poland there is something called the “Guaranteed rendition found” (I am not sure if that’s the right translation) so if you are hit by uninsured driver, you get your payment from them and then they sue the driver. Off course in most cases they don’t have their money back, so the fund is funded by the mandatory payments from all insurance companies operating on the Polish market.

you have 183 days to register the vehicle onto spanish plates

I think this is European law. Or even it is written in Vienna Convention, I am not sure.

and before anyone mentions roadtax we pay it in spain as well but it goes to the local town hall so at least you know which politicians are squandering it :laughing: :laughing:

If you are in Poland, you pay road tax as well, as it’s included into the fuel price. Therefore everyone who drives in Poland on Polish fuel contribute to the road tax. I think it’s very just metod, as more you drive, more you pay.

The owners of the HGV’s or buses pay some additional tax and they are vignettes as well :wink:

Its the Motor Insurance Bureau,or MIB that has funds to pay for claims due to un-insured drivers here in Limey land.

schrodingers cat:
I lived in Spain between 2000 and 2008 and the number of Brits I met out there who run UK cars with no tax mot or insurance was disgusting.

What we should have is a European law that puts all European vehicles details into one database so that we can catch the crooks, wherever they come from.

i think something along those lines is being looked into.i’ve got mate who’s a traffic cop & that’s what the police forces across europe want.it’s not hard to set up,it’s just sorting out all the b.s everyone keeps spouting.only bad thing will be if you get nicked in a euro country & get points,they will be valid on your english licence

well it would be a scam if the vehicle was at fault in an accident and the victim didn’t get paid afterwards. I pay less than 700 pounds a year for my scania and it visits estonia once a year for about a week. nothing stopping you from insuring a vehicle in estonia, there are actually no limitations on the country of registration either.