Expenses for nights on Agency work

What expenses can you claim if you are an Agency Driver on nights?
At present I claim Petrol money, Unsociable money (£5 P/N) and if I need to buy anything work related I put that down.
Anything else I’m missing? :unamused:

dinosteveus1:
At present I claim Petrol money, Unsociable money (£5 P/N) and if I need to buy anything work related I put that down.

only if you are a retainer driver

spanishvan:

dinosteveus1:

What’s one of them? :blush:

dinosteveus1:

spanishvan:

dinosteveus1:

What’s one of them? :blush:

A driver who wears one of these I guess. :wink:

dinosteveus1:

Didn’t think you could, what does it say in your contract of employment?
I do days and nights at the agency I work for. Don’t get expenses, but just get a higher rate of pay for nights and an even higher one for Sat’s and Sun’s/Bank Hol’s.
What do you claim for that is work-related ?

pierrot 14:

dinosteveus1:

Didn’t think you could,?

Well you can definitely claim mileage under HMRC rules whether on agency as self employed or PAYE as you don’t have a fixed place of work. Been trying to tell some of you lot that fact for years when you’re all banging on about only being able to do it through NOVA etc or as self employed.

FOOD, every driver can claim for all he eats away from home.

spanishvan:

dinosteveus1:

a retainer driver is you on call from say 6am -12 noon if a agency calls you and you refuse a job you wont get your half days money as the agency is paying you wages when not working i think blue arrow use to do it this was 15 yrs ago you have got to accept non hgv-hgv work anyway thats what retainer driver is

spanishvan:

spanishvan:

dinosteveus1:

a retainer driver is you on call from say 6am -12 noon if a agency calls you and you refuse a job you wont get your half days money as the agency is paying you wages when not working i think blue arrow use to do it this was 15 yrs ago you have got to accept non hgv-hgv work anyway thats what retainer driver is

Ah, I see :wink: Ummmm I was ‘employed’ by an Agency for a few months, getting paid even if there wasn’t any work. Guess what, they folded in November :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Sorry, I don’t think I made it clear :blush: :blush: , the expenses is for the payment company. BAR2 if anyone’s heard of them.

How much can I claim for meals per night? Fiver?

You are probably paying way over the odds for the service the payment company are providing so make 'em work for their money and ask them what you can claim for and how much. Or better still ditch them and get an accountant to do it for you, it’ll be about a quarter of the cost and he will save you far more than he charges you.

:open_mouth: No wonder the bloody agencies love me so much!!

The ONLY expence I’ve ever expected is whatever the companies drivers get for a night out i.e - £23-£25ish

So, all the miles I’ve ever done - I’ve lost a lot of money on, when actually I could probably have made a little :frowning:

Dont forget as an agency driver you can back date your claim for up to 6 years without receipts.
I tooke Limey Phils advice and got a tidy sum back. :smiley:

LASHHGV:
Dont forget as an agency driver you can back date your claim for up to 6 years without receipts.
I tooke Limey Phils advice and got a tidy sum back. :smiley:

I tried that, and got a nice letter from HM tax office asking for details of every journey I made during that period claimed for. As i didn’t keep records, and agency only had limited records, so sent in what i could, still waiting!

for future refference then (sorry to hijack, I’ll shut up after this one), how do I go about claiming this?

For smaller claims i think you print a P87 form out. As mine was a sizeable claim i used a self assestment tax form (phone up your tax office) even tho i am paid by p.a.y.e.
I claimed 6 years and was not asked nothing. Looking forward to this years award it will be about £1500 back.
I do have a 114 mileround trip everyday to work :open_mouth:

I have Friends who are Self Employed (with a Ltd Company) but work for the Agency, doing the same job as me. They invoice the Agency and get more than me.
I’m still learning, so hopefully, this work is a ‘stop gap’ sorta thing until I’ve learnt a bit more and I find the ‘right’ job for me. Otherwise I’d consider going Self Employed and start my own Company.

As for paying BAR2, if we use this payment company we get an extra quid an hour. I didn’t have enough ‘expenses’ when I first started and I was well out of pocket after paying their fees etc so I went onto PAYE, wow, that was even worse. Now I have to travel a long way to get to the Job my Agency has for me and this helps big time with my expenses. I’m happy with the wage, but I feel there must be more that can be claimed for that nobody knows about, or very few.

I think they are called ‘Umbrella Companies’, these Payment companies. The last ‘one’ I used was called Ducas/Maxipay.

This was all my own work never paid one penny for any services.

LASHHGV:
This was all my own work never paid one penny for any services.

Not Weekly then?
I have enough to learn without adding more complications to it, at this point in my Career anyways.

I got the lump sum for 6 years.
This past year is different a lump sum of about £1200 and a tax code 739L giving me £5 cash a week.
From april it will be paid weekly about £30 a week. Tax code will be something strange then prob 13739L.

Conor:
Well you can definitely claim mileage under HMRC rules whether on agency as self employed or PAYE as you don’t have a fixed place of work. Been trying to tell some of you lot that fact for years when you’re all banging on about only being able to do it through NOVA etc or as self employed.

I took note, and got it !!