A66 - "OOPS"

Aye, it was a Simpsons unit, nice bit of trivia, you spotter!

Then some keen, good looking young chaps from Darlington cut it in half, welded and bolted some girders into the middle, turned the diesel tank around so it sat across the chassis behind the cab (for ballast) and nailed a Dyson Enforcer onto it’s back:

Then they drove it down country, where a nice chap from Bromsgrove folded some tin sheet up and made boxes for the kit. He nailed them to the sides:

Then young Simmo put it all in fresh paint and off it went out to work. :smiley:

In that very first pic in this thread, that’s me down the bank in the orange.

Might be a silly question but assuming the driver was still conscious why did he have to be cut out? Couldn’t he have just rolled down his window (with the ignition still on) and clambered out? Bit of a jump but its not that far… Still gives the fire brigade something to do lol

how much would the recovery have cost ?

The amount of double deckers ive seen rocking from side to side as the driver goes flat out scares me, I dont think they realise disaster is only a rock away, ive pulled them and didnt enjoy it much as the monkeys that loaded them at the hub just cared about getting it all on, ■■■■ it if it was top heavy. I was new to artics so didnt want to rock the boat so to speak.

focusdiy:

£6k min

webby08:
http://www.recoveryworld.co.uk

If you join the forum you can see loads of action shots of trucks being recovered.

I’m already a member. :wink:

JISL to ESL:
Like most of us I’ve seen lots of accidents but never seen the vehicles being recovered. Is there a site where I can watch vids of the vehicle recovery being carried out. Must emphasise it’s purely the mechanical recovery side I’m interested in, not the human misery side.

They don’t videos but loads of pictures of vehicle recovery.

http://www.mickgouldcommercials.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=57&sid=9d045c4f5af6976ca9c0999f9008ec34

focusdiy:

£6k maximum.

It would have been £4500 (off road, not upright, over 18t, empty) on the police scheme.
If it had been loaded it would be £6k. Everything is fixed price now. £6k is the maximum ANY heavy job would cost now.

But this wasn’t our police area, we were doing this job for one of the clubs, so just hourly rate on the wrecker, probly’s around £1500 all in.

He really needs to get some soap and a brush on those back doors. Probably both sets

Ha ha yeah, can’t believe no-one wrote ’ ^ This Way Up ^’ in the ■■■■ on the back!

Or even a standard ‘Washed by the NHS’ would have done!

Heading down south on Sunday i stopped at Stainmore cafe for breakfast and came across this just past the cafe…

how did that not roll :open_mouth: very lucky

webby08:
Heading down south on Sunday i stopped at Stainmore cafe for breakfast and came across this just past the cafe…

That must been nervous not much trails in the verge of how he got down there, must have been a good job getting it out!!!

icky:
how did that not roll :open_mouth: very lucky

I think it was the weight of his pants that stopped it from going over… :smiley:

what was the conditions like Webby??

BigJTheplayer:
what was the conditions like Webby??

It was a bit wet and a bit of a breeze but road wasnt slippy… I dont know when it happened it might of been there since the Saturday night so weather might of been different…

take more than a block of wood to level his bed out :smiley: the way the walls going hope he never thought it was a layby :unamused: :unamused:

Looks as though he could have backed onto the tarmac area and maybe rolled back :question:

shortfatbaldbloke:
Looks as though he could have backed onto the tarmac area and maybe rolled back :question:

It came out on the tarmac but it went in before it, you can see the tyre marks on the grass as you drive past but didnt get any pics of where it went in… And the cab was wrecked, it obviously hit the wall at speed…

No link (probably because it was a only 2-sentence filler) but I presume this is the incident that was in our local bog-roll back-up on Monday.

“A lorry was blown off the A66 in high winds near Stainmore at about 11.30pm on Saturday. The driver was cut free from his cab and taken to hospital - condition unknown.”