DAF Auto

Hi guys i have driven an opticruise ans an i shift but not the daf auto can anyone fill me in on it thxs

slow, but sure gear change, just put it in drive and let it get on with it, not too clever on reversing uphill onto loading bays though :blush:

in reverse, there is an extra ‘hidden’ gear, RH and RL on the switch, RL is low ratio restricted to 1000 RPM

if you put it in RH and then pull the stick back, it will change to RL, same ratio as other RL but not restricted on revs

The later one’s don’t have the stick on the floor, just a switch on the dash. Manual selection is by a stalk on right hand side of steering column.

If you want to drop down a gear you can just press harder on the accelerator pedal instead of messing with the stick.

waddy640:
The later one’s don’t have the stick on the floor, just a switch on the dash. Manual selection is by a stalk on right hand side of steering column.

yes, but it works in exactly the same principle as the earlier ones with the switch and the stick on the engine hump

shuttlespanker:

waddy640:

yes, but it works in exactly the same principle as the earlier ones with the switch and the stick on the engine hump

The first one I drove was a later one, the second one had the floor stick and had a tendency to tell me the gearbox had failed but carried on working. Since then they have all been the later ones. The only down side is the slight delay when selecting drive from starting up. If they had the same setup as Volvo they would be almost perfect.

Driven a MK2 version today, and although I like it, I prefer the I-Shift anyday.

Ken.

Driving them at the moment, they’re OK but still lack the fine control of a manual box. Simple to use.

Having driven a selection of DAFs over the past few years I have to say the newer model autos with the dial that you turn was a better driving experience thasn the older autos with the stick, however you still can’t beat the manual gearbox. Simply put driver can see the road ahead whereas a gearbox can’t meaning manual used properly will always be better than auto

They are ■■■■. You have to book an appointment to get out a roundabout, if you have low tread on your drive tyres and its wet add this gearbox in and its a friggin death trap.

Going up hills from a complete stand still, it changes gears around 16 times :stuck_out_tongue: So id stick it in manual. In general going up hills it jumps between 11 and 12 when it could sit all day in 12.

The reverse on it has the touch of a large elephant but you get accustom to it and it becomes the touch of a small elephant after a while, it can make you look very stupid.

If you’re a 40mph s/c punter it sits in gear 12 which runs at around 900rpm, the slightest hill and you’re ■■■■■■, so id also stick this in manual.

But all is not well the manual is also ■■■■, it has a worse delay than virgin rail. Happy driving :grimacing:

Ps it case i didn’t make it clear it is ■■■■, shame as the rest of it as a package it is a pretty decent truck

I drive one at the moment, I have driven most of the auto boxes, and I put it second to the i-shift. Once you learn how to drive it it’s not bad at all, just don’t try to drive it like a fire engine.

Put it in neutral, rev the guts out and dump the box into drive to get out at roundabouts. Also leave most of the gearbox innards behind you but hey at least you got out.

not driven one so i dont no but when i have driven a car with auto plus manual drive ,f you pull away in manual it tended to pull better would this not work ?

merc0447:
They are [zb]. You have to book an appointment to get out a roundabout, if you have low tread on your drive tyres and its wet add this gearbox in and its a friggin death trap.

Going up hills from a complete stand still, it changes gears around 16 times :stuck_out_tongue: So id stick it in manual. In general going up hills it jumps between 11 and 12 when it could sit all day in 12.

The reverse on it has the touch of a large elephant but you get accustom to it and it becomes the touch of a small elephant after a while, it can make you look very stupid.

If you’re a 40mph s/c punter it sits in gear 12 which runs at around 900rpm, the slightest hill and you’re [zb], so id also stick this in manual.

But all is not well the manual is also [zb], it has a worse delay than virgin rail. Happy driving :grimacing:

Ps it case i didn’t make it clear it is [zb], shame as the rest of it as a package it is a pretty decent truck

Couldn’t agree more , [zb] things! Reverse uphill with loaded trailer :smiling_imp: :blush: :blush: :blush: Is Man’s & Iveco’s version any better?

mazz:

merc0447:
They are [zb]. You have to book an appointment to get out a roundabout, if you have low tread on your drive tyres and its wet add this gearbox in and its a friggin death trap.

If you’re a 40mph s/c punter it sits in gear 12 which runs at around 900rpm, the slightest hill and you’re [zb], so id also stick this in manual.

But all is not well the manual is also [zb], it has a worse delay than virgin rail. Happy driving :grimacing:

Ps it case i didn’t make it clear it is [zb], shame as the rest of it as a package it is a pretty decent truck

Couldn’t agree more , [zb] things! Reverse uphill with loaded trailer :smiling_imp: :blush: :blush: :blush: Is Man’s & Iveco’s version any better?

Mans is slightly better, Iveco’s used to be a pain in the arse if you had to cross a gutter or something to get on the bay, as is the daf version. I got I-shift at moment, that seems fine, still prefer a clutch pedal though. I quite liked the old opticruise where you had a clutch for reversing and setting off, then an auto box forthe rest.

When we all got these new Daf cf astronics 5 years ago we all complained about the slow acceleration, poor reverse etc, & our fleet engineer told us that the lorries require a software update/tweak to cure these problems, needless to say that never happened :unamused: :unamused:

What i can never understand is doesn’t anyone from DAF roadtest these things before they go on the road & if they do -how did they think it was okay :confused: :confused:

I drive a AS Tronic 105 i get on fine with it if you drive it like you stole it then it will just play up
I have been on a Daf driver course to be shown how to drive properley as with most drivers i went to it grumbling about being taught how to ■■■■ eggs
But i did learn alot on the course and i enjoyed it the main thing they try to install is that it is a semi automatic not fully automatic it cant see the road you can so take charge of it on hills etc

I think that the DAF auto box is the biggest pile of ■■■ to be honest, but then again it might have been because I was driving a knackered Salvesen CF though :blush:
The best auto box has to be Renaults Opticruise, none to keen on Volvos I-shift though.

merc0447:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.The new ones are better but still not brilliant. I’ve optted to drive a 04 plate manual instead of driving them but now thats been scrapped and im lumbered with one as all the manuals have gone.

I dread to think what there like in the bad weather. snow etc etc