Overnight parking of hgv's in residential areas

Can you legally park a goods vehicle overnight in a residential area?
I ask this question as there is a 7.5 ton lorry wich is owned by a local bottled water distributor, parked overnight in my street on my estate. It has an ‘O’ licence on it.
I always assumed that it must be left at the place of work when not being used.
I hope this can be answered because the driver left it parked awkardley last night and I could only just squeeze by in my car at 4 o’clock this morning on my way to work,so I am thinking of phoning this company to complain.
Thanks.

Dan.

no idea mate but my neighbour parks his 7.5t on the pavement outside his house as well

simon

dan why dont you try and speak to the driver about it first?. it might get him to park it better. rgds jon

Any Vehicle that is subject to a O’licence must be kept at the registered address stated on the O’licence as its registered base when not out working!

If a vehicle is parked up outside this guys house then its a good guess that it isnt the registered base! So he will be braking the terms of his/her O’Licence!

If it bothers you or your neighbours then contact the area TC office and inform them that this is happining! you will find it will stop soon after! :wink:

JONBOY@RH:
dan why dont you try and speak to the driver about it first?. it might get him to park it better. rgds jon

I would do normally Jonboy,but I want some ammunition before I shoot my mouth off!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:
I just need to know how things stand legally,ie,is the vehicle ALLOWED to be parked there even though their depot is only two miles down the road from us?

(just looked on the company’s website but they haven’t got a number for the Andover office. Might have to ring the “customer care line” and really put the cat amongst the pigeons!! :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :smiley: ).

Dan.

i would ask the lad if he has to bring the vehicle home would he mind having a bit more concideration for the neighbours in how he parks his vehicle.just explain to him that you just managed to get past,but had it been a fire engine etc then you could be preventing the services from saving someone’s life.if this approach fails just inform him of the rules regarding his companies o licence and if he carries on parking like a pratt then you have no option but to inform the authorities of this break in the o licence regulations.see what he says then. :wink:

■■■■■ his tyres :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

Thankyou ,one and all.
I think I have the ammo I need now, and will speak to the driver,if I manage to catch him,if not then a chat at their depot should do the trick.
Have also been on the VOSA website and found some more info.
Thanks again guys,I’ll let you know the outcome.

Dan.

SimonRS2K:
■■■■■ his tyres :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just been down and put a note on the vehicle windscreen,telling the driver that if this vehicle is seen parked overnight again,that VOSA will be informed.
I won’t know the outcome for a couple of days as I’m out tomorrow night(East Anglia run 2 days).
Lets wait and see what happens… :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Dan.

Doesn’t anything over 3.5 tonne, parked on the road during the hours of darkness, have to be lit?

(and i don’t mean put a match to a paraffin soaked rag underneath it Dan!)

Dan a.k.a Boo:
Just been down and put a note on the vehicle windscreen,telling the driver that if this vehicle is seen parked overnight again,that VOSA will be informed.
I won’t know the outcome for a couple of days as I’m out tomorrow night(East Anglia run 2 days).

Dan.

GRASS :angry:

Rob K:

[quote"Rob K"]
Even though I don’t actually need to go anywhere until Monday night I’m really annoyed by it so I belled the plod and told them exactly what had happened earlier - “no problem there sir, I would have done the same”.

GRASS

TC:

Rob K:

[quote"Rob K"]
Even though I don’t actually need to go anywhere until Monday night I’m really annoyed by it so I belled the plod and told them exactly what had happened earlier - “no problem there sir, I would have done the same”.

GRASS

• Was there a motor blocking Boo’s driveway ? No.

• Could Boo still get in and out of his driveway? Yes.

• Was the 7.5 tonner actually causing anyone a problem? No.

• Could Boo have easily rectified the situation by talking to the driver? Probably.

• Could I have easily rectified the situation by talking to the driver? No, as I have already tried this.

• Was Boo [zb] to confront the driver about it so chose to [zb] grass him up to the plod so that the wagon driver would never know it was him ? YES.

End of discussion.

Edited for personal attacks. Keep it civil, please, as per TNUK rules.L.

He didn’t say it was blocking his drive way but it may have been!

may be he could may be he couldn’t! he didn’t say

Boo said

Ihope this can be answered because the driver left it parked awkardley last night and I could only just squeeze by in my car at 4 o’clock this morning on my way to work

So yes it was causing a problem

• Could Boo have easily rectified the situation by talking to the driver? Probably.

At 4am in the morning■■?

• Could I have easily rectified the situation by talking to the driver? No, as I have already tried this.

Did you talk nicely to the guy? or did you use the same tact you use on here?

• Was Boo [zb] to confront the driver about it so chose to [zb] grass him up to the plod so that the wagon driver would never know it was him ? YES.

I am sure being scared has got nothing to do with it!, if you read the post he has said he has put a nice note on his windscreen! So warning him of further action if the problems persist! very reasonable in my opinion!

End of discussion

This is a message board! I am sure others will have opinions that they may wish to contribute!

Just snipping the quote! L. :grimacing:

Rob K:

No, but there was a motor blocking his street which meant that should his house catch fire the Fire Brigade wouldn’t have been able to get to it, putting him, his family, and no doubt several of his neighbours at risk.

Rob K:

No, but there was a motor blocking his street which meant that should his house catch fire the Fire Brigade wouldn’t have been able to get to it, putting him, his family, and no doubt several of his neighbours at risk.

Rob K:

Yes, the emergency services.

Rob K:

At 4am? Sure he could have talked to him, but getting him up at 4am isn’t likely to help in practice. So he did the next best thing - he left a note for him.

Rob K:
End of discussion.

Wrong!

Paul

Rob K:

Dan a.k.a Boo:

Dan.

[zb]…
better to do what you did dan than cause a possible row with a neighbour.
at least in my opinion m8.
though i would stop short of phoning vosa u have gave him the chance. and not caused a conflict…
mr hard man would have gone and knocked him out i guess… some way to sort a neighbour out that…NOT.

Personal attack removed.L.

I agree with Boo, the best way was to leave a note, at least the driver is now aware that his vehicle is causing problems

I too would get pretty fed up with this, after all, I live in a residential area, not a transport yard.

I seem to remember that the rules regarding the vehicle being at it’s operating centre is that the word “regularly” is the operative. I.e., you must have an operating licence covering any location where the vehicle is parked regularly.

Reading the spirit of the regulations this means that you can park a vehicle anywhere providing that the practise isn’t occurring on a regular basis. Not that I’d do this of course, like I said I don’t live in a transport yard and I don’t expect my neighbours to have to do the same.

It’s back to the old bugbear of consideration for others.

For what it’s worth, my course of action would have been exactly the same as Dan’s. A polite note on the windscreen, then a polite request to the driver (who will no doubt say “it’s got nowt to do with you” - wrong!) then a phonecall to the operator and if that fails then as the last resort it’s a complaint to the authorities. I wouldn’t have thought it would get that far. As anyone who has held an O licence will tell you, you try your best not to draw the attention of the authorities.

Why not just ask him politely, to park it better next time :question: :confused: