Digi error codes

I had this the other day came up error 50 and just pressed ok. Got no further warnings. Carried out my shift and got a printout at the ènd of the day and no problems on ejecting the card. Can I take it that it is all ok now. Not working now till Wednesday so will have to see then.

Darrenb:
I had this the other day came up error 50 and just pressed ok. Got no further warnings. Carried out my shift and got a printout at the ènd of the day and no problems on ejecting the card. Can I take it that it is all ok now. Not working now till Wednesday so will have to see then.

I get that on mine, still records the data fine. I think its just a buggy unit.

I’ve never known a card to be thrown out when driving …
Before you moved the truck had the card been read fully ?
and had it asked you all the usual questions ie manual entries etc ?
did you wait for the card symbol to appear … (looks like a door with a window )

I got asked the normal questions so not to worried. Everything appeared normal until the error came up. This came up as soon as I put my card in and then went as normal after ok the error

Darrenb:

If you was able to get a printout the data has obviously been recorded on the driver card so the card should be OK.

Error 50 can often be cured by simply wiping the card/memory chip clean with a clean soft cloth.

Think its time for a new digi card for me too, it lets me put shift start time in then can only select rest instead of other work for vehicle checks.
Download is ok no Infringements and have tried it in 2 different units

Jeff.

All electronic cards, digital tacho, sim, bank have gold contacts. These become oxidised through time, this causes an Error Code 50 (unreadable card). Remedy = take an ink rubber and use it to clean the gold contacts, then brush off or wipe off the debris. if the card doesn’t work after this then it is time for a replacement from DVLA.

hi all,

today put my card in as per norm, adjusted finish time for last trip all seemed ok, did my checks then set off, got about 10 miles then tacho unit made a whirring sound and ejected my card saying “card error code 50” does anyone know what exactly this means pls??
only thing i can think of is that the card was downloaded this morn could that have anything to do with it? and i take it i,m ok just making a hard copy of my driving times ect? it was reported to office first thing and a truck changeover is planned for tomoz…

will i need to apply for a replacement card?

cheers

card error 50 The inserted card (in card slot 1) cannot be read
or written to.

Try wiping it, might be a bit of dirt on it.

Pretty much as above post; the Vehicle Unit (VU) cannot read data from the card or write data to the card.

The fact that the card has been recently downloaded doesn’t have any bearing on the matter, basically just coincidence.

Try carefully wiping the chip contact plates on the back of the card. If it still doesn’t work try it in slot 2 of the VU. If still no joy, try the card in a different VU, if possible…If it still doesn’t work you need to get the card replaced. Get hold of form D777B and fill it out, making sure you tick the box saying that you want a replacement card because the previous one is faulty. Send the form and the driver card to DVLA, suggest that you use Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery, so you at least know that they got the card back. Your new card will be sent to your home address. Do this within 7 days of to-day. Suggest you also keep a copy of the completed application form.

When driving digital vehicles you need to take a 24hr VU activity printout when you start your shift. Write on it your full name (doesn’t matter what order), your driving licence number OR your driver card number and sign the printout. Use the mode switch as you normally would during the day. Ignore the warning telling you you’re driving without a card - you know that. At the end of the shift do another VU 24hr activity printout and write on it the same three things you did for the first printout. Keep printouts for at least 29 days (after you made them) then hand in to Operator. Make sure you return any printouts before they are 42 days old. If you change vehicles mid-shift you will have to do this for each vehicle.

Carry lots of spare paper!!

You may want to do two of each printout, one for you to retain and hand one in to the operator at the end of each shift.

You can do this for a maximum of 15 days starting to-day.

You have to ring the dvla aswell to get a reference number and keep that with you just incase you get stopped.

Budgie said;

You have to ring the dvla aswell to get a reference number and keep that with you just incase you get stopped.

Sorry, not a legal requirement, but a good idea.

budgie69:

Correct.

bestbooties:

budgie69:

Correct.

As already said it’s a good idea but not necessary.

When it happened to me a couple of weeks ago the dvla told me i had to carry the reference with me at all times until my new card came through.