West Midlands Police truck

I have just read through the posts listed below on this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53083

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51679

However, the police cannot break the speed limits (legally), whether it is LGV or car that they are driving unless it is an emergency they are attending or have received an emergency call for them to attend. (Just had this confirmed by WMP themselves). Proof of any exception to this has to be provided, i.e. a record of the emergency call.

This brings the question of them travelling above 60mph (legal limit for trucks) to try and film you as you go about your daily routine of eating whist driving, phoning the bookie and watching films on the laptop, for them to creep up on you at 58 or 60 mph would be a dead loss and would result in only a few hits per day. I don’t see any emergencies in what this vehicle will be doing day in day out.

It is highly unlikely that they will have to chase you at 100mph because of the limiters fitted - so how can justification of emergency be made?

Interesting arguement I think, it could I guess be challenged in court that they broke the law to nick you.

Am I right in thinking that they can go above the speed limits if they BELIEVE that an offence is, or is likely to be, committed :wink:

Yes, your honour, I did exceed the posted speed limit because I believed that the truck ahead was …

Unsure on that point but it would be interesting to see if there was someone brave enough to test it in court, was the offence serious enough to justify the excess speed in an LGV though? Eating a sandwich? Unlikely I would have thought.

Perhaps I just have too much time on my hands at the moment :wink:

Or they could paint the truck in Willi Betz colours so we would not think it unusual to be gaining speed on us at an alarming rate…

Warren T. Claim:
Or they could paint the truck in Willi Betz colours so we would not think it unusual to be gaining speed on us at an alarming rate…

Easier to do it in Stobart colours, they ‘seem’ to be the new Paddys…

Coddy:

Warren T. Claim:

Yeah I’ve noticed that Coddy. Steadies either seem to be doing 50 and don’t flash when you overtake, or 60 and don’t aknowledge when you flash them in. Bizarre.

they say its used to get eye level with the truck driver so they can see in his cab at what he is doing why dont they look down at a few cars while they are at it they will see a lot more car drivers breaking the law i think

Just be thankful that they do not copy the GERMANS who use unmarked
mobile caravans , high side-van,s and also coaches to film and check the
traffic and yes they are very good at catching out people ,

the maoster:

Coddy:

Warren T. Claim:

Yeah I’ve noticed that Coddy. Steadies either seem to be doing 50 and don’t flash when you overtake, or 60 and don’t aknowledge when you flash them in. Bizarre.

They don’t even notice us do they? After all they are better than us aren’t they?

The words PIG and IGNORANT spring to mind…just my opinion based on “most” Stobbies drivers I have crossed paths with recently.

It is a pity that the Law Enforcement? officers of this land didn’t put a little bit more time in to sorting out some of the other issues in our green & pleasant land…like travellers setting up camp where and when they like leaving the land owners helpless - apparently it will cause them too much paperwork!..like these thugs that rough up pensioners and get slapped wrists, or break and enter and get let off for diminished responsibilites…it’s gone too far the wrong way