Moving units on class2

Ive always thought that if you had a class 2 ,you could drive a unit with the 5th wheel disabled so you cannot pick up a trailer,however recently my TM has been getting class 2 drivers to drive units into London for repairs/collect from London.
Is it legal to do without blocking the 5th wheel??

:question:

demonbiker:
Ive always thought that if you had a class 2 ,you could drive a unit with the 5th wheel disabled so you cannot pick up a trailer,however recently my TM has been getting class 2 drivers to drive units into London for repairs/collect from London.

This MYTH is sure going strong !!!

The fifth wheel has NOTHING to do with anything regarding the licence required to drive it

So it is perfectly legal to drive unit solo!

:slight_smile:

ROG:

demonbiker:

This MYTH is sure going strong !!!

The fifth wheel has NOTHING to do with anything regarding the licence required to drive it

Not anymore.
But it did have something to do with everything regarding the licence required to drive it in the days when you could drive a 38 tonne 2+3 drawbar outfit with a class 3 but you needed a class 1 to drive a solo tractor unit without it’s fifth wheel being removed.Unless ROG can show me otherwise.

will this myth ever be squashed :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

its no different to driving a car with a tow bar, as going with that train of thought that would be illegal also just because you could go and attach a trailer heavier than 750g :exclamation: :exclamation:

Confused now!!

Cant drive a unit without a class1 ■■?

demonbiker:
Confused now!!

Cant drive a unit without a class1 ■■?

forget the HGV classes -they have gone - it is now LGV C1, C & C+E

A unit is a C - fifth wheel being on or off has nowt to do with it

Carryfast:
Not anymore.
But it did have something to do with everything regarding the licence required to drive it in the days when you could drive a 38 tonne 2+3 drawbar outfit with a class 3 but you needed a class 1 to drive a solo tractor unit without it’s fifth wheel being removed.Unless ROG can show me otherwise.

I cannot find anything relating to the old HGV regulations - I reckon they have been withdrawn from the Govt sites as they are out of date - so cannot comment on what was…

demonbiker:
So it is perfectly legal to drive unit solo!

:slight_smile:

If you have a C licence - YES

Just found in FTA yearbook that you can drive a unit on a C licence as long as you not towing a trailer!

FTA yearbook 2008 page 80

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

demonbiker:
So our TM is asking drivers to break the law, and they are doing it!! :unamused:

oh joy

how so :question:

Think demonbiker needs to get the right end of the stick :laughing:

demonbiker:
So our TM is asking drivers to break the law, and they are doing it!! :unamused:

No he is not

macplaxton:
Think demonbiker needs to get the right end of the stick :laughing:

hows this… :wink: :laughing:

IT IS LEGAL TO DRIVE A COMPLETE ARTIC UNIT ON A C (RIGID) LICENCE

Is that big and clear enough :question: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

think what rog is saying anyone who is able to drive a 7.5ton can drive a tractor unit providing weight does not exxed 7.5ton .

YOU CAN LEGALLY DRIVE A “UNIT” ON A CLASS 2 (C) LICENCE AS IT’S A RIGID TRUCK REGARDLESS AS WHETHER IT HAS A FIFTH WHEEL COUPLING OR NOT. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

EDIT: was doing my peice of artwork while ROG posted his :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

psv8:
think what rog is saying anyone who is able to drive a 7.5ton can drive a tractor unit providing weight does not exxed 7.5ton .

NOT CORRECT

A C1 (max 7.5 tonne) licence would NOT in 99.9999999% of cases be enough to drive an artic unit because the PLATED WEIGHT of the unit is well over 7.5 tonnes

ROG:
TO DRIVE A COMPLETE ARTIC UNIT

what if i want to drive a uncomplete artic unit :question: do i need a different licence :confused: :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:
YOU CAN LEGALLY DRIVE A “UNIT” ON A CLASS 2 (C) LICENCE AS IT’S A RIGID TRUCK REGARDLESS AS WHETHER IT HAS A FIFTH WHEEL COUPLING OR NOT. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

EDIT: was doing my peice of artwork while ROG posted his :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Yours is prettier but mine is BIGGER than yours :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lets simplify

Can you drive a rigid (up to 38t) on your licence. Class 2 or new money C

if yes then you can drive a unit as long as its not towing (well apart from the 750kg rule anyway)

Ergo you do not need a class one or C+E to drive a solo unit

Driving a unit with a car licence (grandfather rights), or C1 is only possbile when the unit is downplated to 7.5 tonnes or less

Alexander says simples!

Cruise Control:

ROG:
TO DRIVE A COMPLETE ARTIC UNIT

what if i want to drive a uncomplete artic unit :question: do i need a different licence :confused: :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Yes - you need an uncomplete C licence - believe that and you’ll believe anything :wink: :laughing: :laughing: