escape lanes

just wondered if anyone had the dubious pleasure to make use of one.

there cant be that many left now is there. :question: v

dave:
there cant be that many left now is there. :question: v

There are still quite a few left, there are at least two within a fairly short distance of my house. One of those is on Garrowby Hill on the A166 between Fridaythorpe and Stamford Bridge and the other on the B1248 at Staxton Hill just south of Scarborough.

There’s also one I passed yesterday on the A169 at Blue Bank near Sleights just south of Whitby.

Paul

there is more than few on the A9 to wick called the berrydale braes … sqeeuky bum time on there …

transportcafe.co.uk/britain4.html

the ones ive seen are all full of weeds now. thank goodnews them days have passed.

There’s a couple of escape lanes on jubilee way as you go into dover, somewhere on here i think, there’s a video clip of a rigid truck crashing into 1 in america i think it is, it flipped the truck right up ! :open_mouth: (Cant remember if it went over or not)

They have them on Fish Hill on the A44 east of Evesham.

there is one on the A69 just before carlise …

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=carlise … 8&t=h&z=18

Dave the Renegade:
They have them on Fish Hill on the A44 east of Evesham.

yeah thats right but i dont think they would help you on that gradient!!

steadymabo:
There’s a couple of escape lanes on jubilee way as you go into dover, somewhere on here i think, there’s a video clip of a rigid truck crashing into 1 in america i think it is, it flipped the truck right up ! :open_mouth: (Cant remember if it went over or not)

I wouldn’t like to try them out now, they are all overgrown and the rotting vegetation wouldn’t have a lot of retarding properties :stuck_out_tongue:

here is your typical escape lane but with a difference…

if the soil dont stop your truck, that nice brand spanking new car at the end of the escape lane will :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You may not need escape lanes over in the UK anymore, but here in Spain they are alive and well and a good many show evidence of recent use. Mind you Spain is a very mountainous country and descents of 5% over anything from 5Km to 25Km are not uncommon on autovias, some nacionale routes have even steeper hills over similar distances.

this is that american truck escape ramp

Cruise Control:
here is your typical escape lane but with a difference…

if the soil dont stop your truck, that nice brand spanking new car at the end of the escape lane will :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cant remember where that is but if you turn right at lights then immediate right is a small hanson place on the left :question: :laughing: :laughing:

As said few on A9 up to Wick, also theres one on the A66 North Bound, cant mind the junc name but its approx 20miles before Penrith when you have the option to slip off for the M6.

If i remember correctly there is one as you come off hardnott pass at eskdale, luckily i didnt need it in my wagon as it looked like it been used a few times just used the exhaust break a lot :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Have they still got them on the A46, going down towards Bath ?.

thought the question was ‘has anyone used one ?’ not ‘do you know where there is an escape lane?’

Wheel Nut:

steadymabo:

I wouldn’t like to try them out now, they are all overgrown and the rotting vegetation wouldn’t have a lot of retarding properties :stuck_out_tongue:

thought that would be even better,the more soft crap you go thru the quicker you slow down :wink:

thankfully never had to use one. think with disk brakes ,engine brakes, retarders and half decent exhaust brakes theres loads more stopping power now than when these lanes were built. thakfully!!! :grimacing: