LGV driving QUIZ by ROG

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but I’m sure an admin/mod will move it to an appropriate forum if necessary :smiley:

LGV DRIVING QUIZ - Answers now on 1st post of page 2

1. Can a category ‘C’ driver legally drive an artic unit that has not been modified in any way?

2. You arrive at work to find a flat tyre on the lift axle. The boss says that it cannot be fixed until tomorrow morning but you’ll be ok as you have no loads heavy enough today to warrant using that axle so keep it lifted. Is it legal to do the work for today?

3. You are driving a fully laden 44 tonne artic (MANUAL GEARBOX) on a dual carriageway at 50mph in top gear. The very bad camber on the roundabout ahead dictates that you will need a low range gear to negotiate it.
    What is the safest and most fuel-efficient way to slow down?

4. Which increases the performance of an exhaust brake. Higher or lower revs?

5. A car driver passed their DSA car test in 1996 and is intending to do their category ‘C’ training and test. Do they need to do the INITIAL driver CPC to drive a C commercially?

6. For those LGV drivers with acquired (grandfather) rights for the driver CPC, what will be the expiry date on the DQC (Driver qualification card) when they receive it after completing their first 35 hours of training? Day, Month & year please.

7. What is the maximum size (weight) of trailer than can be towed by a LGV where the driver does not have a +E on their LGV licence?

8. What is the maximum legal speed limit for LGV’s on dual carriageway?

9. Can a LGV over 7.5 tonnes legally use the outer lane of a dual carriageway which has more than 2 lanes?

10. A dual carriageway with 2 lanes in each direction is contra flowed so that there is now 1 lane each way on one side of the barrier with plastic cones separating the opposing traffic flows. The posted max speed limit is now 50mph. What is the legal maximum speed for LGV’s over 7.5 tonnes?

1.Yes
2. No
3. Use and automatic (pmsl they cant make their minds up either) Exhaust break
4.Higher
5. No
7. 750kgs
8. 50
9. yes
10. A dual carriageway with 2 lanes in each direction is contra flowed so that there is now 1 lane each way on one side of the barrier with plastic cones separating the opposing traffic flows. The posted max speed limit is now 50mph. What is the legal maximum speed for LGV’s over 7.5 tonnes( depends how your looking at the cones If as a phyiscal barrier then 50 but then some say the otor way has dif regs and some say 40)

nick2008:

Day & month please :slight_smile:
I though Q10 might get interesting :wink:

1.Yes
2. No
3. Exhaust break
4.Higher
5. No
6.2019 september 19
7. 750kgs
8. 50
9. yes
10.40mph

Q10.
I have come across them using one side of a dual carriageway for both directions of traffic twice and the legal limit for all vehicles was set at 40mph. Cant see elf n’safety allowing them to post a 50mph speed limit in this situation especially if people are working on the road as well. Also if there ever was a case of them posting a 50mph limit, a lorry over 7.5ton would be allowed to do 50mph, if the limits reduced to 40mph we dont have to do 30mph.

ROG:

nick2008:

Day & month please :slight_smile:
I though Q10 might get interesting :wink:

well its from the 10th sept so it wuld run out 9 sept 2019

q10 is 40 mph as it is now a single carriageway.

nick2008:
1.Yes

1. A dual carriageway with 2 lanes in each direction is contra flowed so that there is now 1 lane each way on one side of the barrier with plastic cones separating the opposing traffic flows. The posted max speed limit is now 50mph. What is the legal maximum speed for LGV’s over 7.5 tonnes( depends how your looking at the cones If as a phyiscal barrier then 50 but then some say the otor way has dif regs and some say 40)

National speed limit for trucks on a dual carriageway 50 if it’s only one carriageway coned off into a contra flow it’s no longer a dual carriageway it’s a single carriageway so 40?.

He beat me to it.

1.Yes

1. No

2. engine brake

4.Higher

1. No

6.9 sept 2019

1. 750kgs

2. 50

3. if there is a limiter fitted then no if the truck does not have one fitted then yes

10.as its as now as a restriction in place of 50mph that would be the speed cos if you have a road that a car can do 50 but a truck as to do 40 how would that car be able to do the speed if behind the truck there would be no place to overtake and that would make the speed inappropriate at 50 mph it should be set at the speed the lowest that can be done by all traffic safely ( Rog have you heard from the police officer yet)

1 - Yes

2 - No

3 - Engine brake

4 - Higher

5 - No

6 - 09/09/19

7 - 750kgs

8 - 50

9 - Yes. I presume you mean outer lane? Outer lane restriction only applies to motorways.

10 - Doesn’t matter. Just keep a safe distance from the car in front, they’ll likely be doing about 10 miles an hour less than the posted limit just to make sure they don’t get a ticket. That’s what they do on the A55 in North Wales anyway. :imp: :wink:

delboytwo:
1.Yes

1. No

2. engine brake

4.Higher

1. No

6.9 sept 2019

1. 750kgs

2. 50

3. if there is a limiter fitted then no if the truck does not have one fitted then yes

10.as its as now as a restriction in place of 50mph that would be the speed cos if you have a road that a car can do 50 but a truck as to do 40 how would that car be able to do the speed if behind the truck there would be no place to overtake and that would make the speed inappropriate at 50 mph it should be set at the speed the lowest that can be done by all traffic safely ( Rog have you heard from the police officer yet)

The same as a car limited to 60 on a single carriageway can’t overtake a truck limited to 40 in the wrong place like solid line etc?.

Carryfast:
The same as a car limited to 60 on a single carriageway can’t overtake a truck limited to 40 in the wrong place like solid line etc?.

yes but that a different road and the no restriction in place the truck driver as to do 40 the car driver as to say behind cos of the white line if there was no line and the road was clear the car driver could overtake if it is safe to do so

delboytwo:

Carryfast:

yes but that a different road and the no restriction in place the truck driver as to do 40 the car driver as to say behind cos of the white line if there was no line and the road was clear the car driver could overtake if it is safe to do so

But the car driver can’t overtake a truck on a contraflowed one sided dual carriageway even though like on the single carriage way he could drive at the limit if the truck was’nt there.It’s even worse driving a car on an unlimited autobahn with two lanes each way if you’ve got a truck in front of you in lane 2 limited to 85 kmh.

delboytwo:

Carryfast:

2 miles of contraflow or 2 miles of no overtaking lines - what is the difference in regards to the overtaking opportunities of a legally higher speed vehicle over that of one that has a lower legal speed :question:

The cones are put into the cats eye slots because it is easier than painting double white lines and then removing them when the work is done

ROG:

delboytwo:

Carryfast:

2 miles of contraflow or 2 miles of no overtaking lines - what is the difference in regards to the overtaking opportunities of a legally higher speed vehicle over that of one that has a lower legal speed :question:

The cones are put into the cats eye slots because it is easier than painting double white lines and then removing them when the work is done

Yes but it does allow the poles to try to get between the cones and overtake along the wrong side of the contraflow and then get back in if they don’t meet anyone coming the other way.

Carryfast:
Yes but it does allow the poles to try to get between the cones and overtake along the wrong side of the contraflow and then get back in if they don’t meet anyone coming the other way.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Im sure they just go straight over them, I have seen loads of cones that have been knocked out of their slots.

bubsy06:

Carryfast:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Im sure they just go straight over them, I have seen loads of cones that have been knocked out of their slots.

IF they don’t meet something coming the other way before they can get back in because if they do that would mean a bit more than a few knocked out cones.

I presume Q7 refers to an LGV driver actually driving an LGV, not a smaller vehicle :slight_smile:

mrpj:
I presume Q7 refers to an LGV driver actually driving an LGV, not a smaller vehicle :slight_smile:

any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes is an LGV
3.5 to 7.5 = C1
over 7.5 = C

AH hang on - I see what you are driving at - I said being driven by and not ‘driving’ - good point :laughing:

ROG:

mrpj:

any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes is an LGV
3.5 to 7.5 = C1
over 7.5 = C

Therefore the answer’s not 750 kgs :smiley:

Editted the question to
What is the maximum size (weight) of trailer than can be towed by a LGV where the driver does not have a +E on their LGV licence?

thank you