I know what I did was wrong but

Like the title says I know what I did was wrong but … How many of you drivers would have or have done the same thing ?
I wrote this post just after I got home from work and I was pretty ■■■■■■ off at the time.

I didn’t post it on the night because I wanted to reflect on how I felt and I didn’t want to say things I didn’t mean, well I have reflected and I still want to say these things.

I have no hard feelings against work though and I would never be deliberately disruptive or awkward. I just want to stay legal.

This is the original post

A long day is made a lot longer when you are not appreciated.

I will tell you about my day and why I am feeling ■■■■■■ off.

Its the first time I have felt like this since starting this job but its my own fault and has been coming for a while.

I was meant to be at a very important customer of ours in Norwich for eight and that means me leaving the yard in Leicester at 4.30.

I usually get there at about 7.30 and have to wait for the staff to arrive.

I am asked (told) to leave the truck on break while tipping ,which usually takes about 2 hours.

I picked up a Pallet of returns from Norwich as well as the nine empty ones from my delivery.

I set off at 10 o-clock to Lowestoft to deliver One pallet to a plumbers yard.

Straight out of their yard and on to PTS in Attleborough.

I was there for about ten minutes and then I had to get to Cambridge for an important collection that was due on an aeroplane for Friday.

This was the train crossing at Attleborough.

This was a sign for self pick Strawberries , what else ?

This was the view from the cab at Snetterton.

I spent 15 minutes at the Cambridge collection and put it on break again, even though I was tipping for nine of those minutes.

I was very low on driving time by now so I rang the office and explained I was going to be 30 minutes late for my Corby collection.

I was meant to be there before 3 pm because that’s when they close.

I rang the office and explained but the manager told me to go for it and get there for 3 o-clock

Like a fool I did. It put me five minutes over my 2nd 4.30 hours driving period.

I was really low on fuel and had to ring in for a fuel card pin number and drive a little out of my way to get to a BP garage.

I was asked to collect 2 plts from one of our regulars.

I went back down the A14 and up the M1 . Just as I was about to Join the motorway , a few miles from my drop, the same TM rang to berate me for choosing the wrong route and asking why I hadn’t gone across country through Market Harborough.

I have been both ways before and I know that the main road is always faster, so why would he even bother trying to ■■■■ off a driver who has flogged himself all day and only had a 30 minute break on a 13 hour shift?

Sometimes this job( Lorry drivng) is ■■■■!!

How many of you drivers would have or have done the same thing ?

I have. And I probably will again.

Although, these days it’s more likely because I choose to, rather than because I’ve been asked/told/encouraged to do it.

5 minutes over a 4.30 ■■ Hardly manslaughter is it. I’m quite prepared to pay (if I really have to) the occasional £60, or throw myself on the mercy of the court. I can’t believe for one minute that I’m so tired/fatigued at 5 or 10 minutes over. But I accept a line has to be drawn.

I have been both ways before and I know that the main road is always faster, so why would he even bother trying to ■■■■ off a driver who has flogged himself all day and only had a 30 minute break on a 13 hour shift?

Human nature ?

Perhaps just to “keep you in your place”

Maybe he’s just simply having a bad day too, and as a driver you’re probably his easiest target ?

tell TM to swivel
you couldnt do the work legally thats his problem if your late
going via Harborough at 40 oh yeh

I would have chosen exactly the same route as you, up and down those hills on the cross country and getting stuck behind tractors? No thankyou I’d take the chance on the A14 any day.

He knew he could say what he wanted to you because he knew how you would react to it,by sulking and moaning to yourself.That’s the way you will always get treated there .You should have told him to get stuffed and brought the wagon back,he would have thought twice about abusing you again.It’s too late for you now as he will always treat you like that.

blueroom1:
It put me five minutes over my 2nd 4.30 hours driving period.

That is probably a one off that might, if unlucky, get you a slap on the wrist

When you stopped on reaching this point, did you immediately take the required break or did you do something else :question:

13 hour shift and 2 off, any jobs going :laughing:

steve most shifs are that long and usually they are pretty good at leaving you alone but this day it seemed I could do know right It was prob just a bad day their end.

Rog when it cae up to the 4.30 i was on the way to the drop , they shut at 3 so I carried on until i got into their depot then left as they were shutting the gates , couldnt get the 30 I needed so I went to the lorry park at Corby, its Gone.!! So I parked out side Matalan near there.

Tofer, thats exactly my point over the hills and far away or steady 55 , I always choose the steady 55 any day.

Death star, I apreciate what you say about taking advantage but I prefer to think that it was a one off , If Ihad of said stuff your delivery and bring their truck back I wouldnt of been proud of myself either.Its just no me. like I said in my intro I didnt want to post a whingey moan but I just said it how it is. I dont care about it now its just what happened on one day, I have had plenty of days where I have been back early and straight out the yard as well.

I am the type of driver they can rely on and if that means I am having the ■■■■ took out of me then fair enough , but apart from a few moans and rants I will get on with it.
I Know I did wrong technically but like the man says 5 minutes isnt murder is it. I will take my chances with a roadside , my digital tacho is always ten or twenty minutes longer than my davey hour guard after a long driving day as well so I dont agree with those anyway.

Thanks for the reply I asked the question … I get the answers
It also gives me great material for my blog

you made the right decision for you, the TM isn’t the one in the drivers seat. don’t lose any sleep over it. it sounds as if he’s been getting stick from the customer, so he’s having a dig at you in order to vent his own frustration.

ROG:
When you stopped on reaching this point, did you immediately take the required break or did you do something else :question:

blueroom1:
Rog when it cae up to the 4.30 i was on the way to the drop , they shut at 3 so I carried on until i got into their depot then left as they were shutting the gates , couldnt get the 30 I needed so I went to the lorry park at Corby, its Gone.!! So I parked out side Matalan near there.

so you took an immediate break at the point of reaching 4.35 hours :question:

yeah , I was about 4.38 when I came to a final stop and took a 30 minute , I had already taken 15 before .

blueroom1:
yeah , I was about 4.38 when I came to a final stop and took a 30 minute , I had already taken 15 before .

just the 8 mins over-run on the driving hours then - nowt to worry about IMO unless done on a regular basis

Yeah I know what you mean Rog , but it was the TM attitude to it at the time , that got to me it was like I been out all day and still 13 hours later still harrassing me , but like I said its all good now I rerlaxed a bit and sat on the post but thought about putting it here as a topic instead.Also we have in house Tach analyst and she gives us greif because Vosa are doing on the spot fines now for overruns and minor stuff. Its the same old story, TM says go the Office say no . poor olod driver cant win. :smiley: :smiley:
cheers Rog

blueroom1:
TM says go the Office say no

I might be tempted to put as the reason for the over-run… REFER TO TM … :wink:

The Gestapo aren’t bothered about 5 or 10 here or there as long as you ain’t doing it all the time. Either tell the TM how you feel and maybe sort it out or risk being ostracized or ■■■■ it up and be thankful you at least have a job and realise that there are always going to be little things to ■■■■ you off in any job unless you were born under a lucky star!

ROG:

blueroom1:

just the 8 mins over-run on the driving hours then - nowt to worry about IMO unless done on a regular basis

And there’s the rub, it’s a habit so easy to get into :unamused:

T.Ms. have to be R.Soles.Any large vehicle shoould use dual s or motorways where possible.we waste time and fuel getting involved with on coming traffic.

I got an infringement the other week - 1 minute over my driving time!!!
As I was leaving work yesterday morning the boss man said he has to have a chat with everyone over tacho infringments and he just ■■■■■■ himself laughing when I said I was actually in the yard parking the truck up… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:
I got an infringement the other week - 1 minute over my driving time!!!
As I was leaving work yesterday morning the boss man said he has to have a chat with everyone over tacho infringments and he just ■■■■■■ himself laughing when I said I was actually in the yard parking the truck up… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s for that reason that I pop the card when I’m at the gatehouse.

tofer:
I pop the card when I’m at the gatehouse.

Careful - if VOSA do a check and your finish time is listed elsewhere as being different to that shown on the card then how will you explain that :question: