RE: curtainsiders, load-bearing curtains, load securing

Yesterday (Tue 25.8.2009), E77 road just outside Zvolen, SK. A 25-ton calender rolled off a Czech truck right in front of a car driving in the opposite direction - 4 adults and 1 infant suffered light injuries.
Had it fell onto them…

It looks it sat in some sort of a craddle and apparently was strapped down, but that did not stop it though.
Should have taken coil-mulde.

tv.sme.sk/v/11271/na-auto-vypadl … astka.html

if that was strapped down and in a cradle there is no way that should have shifted.

to be fair though i would have thought the cradle would have to be chained down.

25 tonne calender ■■? Bugger hanging that on the wall !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

IT looks like the lashing was not correct,■■
He should have had chains fitted along with
the ratchet straps(these should have been at least
of 10tn breaking strength and by using a formula
that is used to show how many straps were needed)
Plus the Anti Skid Matting WHICH HELPS to reduce
movement, People make fun of the Germans but
they have done research and found ways to secure
all types of loads and if used correctly will hinder
problems (look through the useful links forum or
on the euro sticky,s for the links)

steadymabo:
25 tonne calender ■■? Bugger hanging that on the wall !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

how many years was it for? until 2153?

that craddle, it’s just my guess - you can see some red beams in front of the roller - they do not seem to come from the car or the truck and they are certainly not railings.
I agree, it had to be chained rather than strapped but can very well imagine the driver had no chains at hand so only used straps - and that was not enough. Maybe he was a bit too fast in a bend, braked hastily or whatever…

I agree with you pete, people make fun of Germans, but they know fair bit about load securing. (I mentioned that elsewhere, you can probably get a degree in this field).
I can remember series of articles in 1990s Trucker issues, paper reel tipping over, concrete blocks shifting back&forth though you’d have said “it’s that heavy it’s not gonna move”.
Now, every German trailer maker (well, at least the big ones) have a separate section on load securing on their websites - most others do not even mention what sort of lashing is available

PS: I honestly thought those things are called calenders, but can call it roller if you prefer. And calendar is spelled slightly differently.

At or just before 7 seconds you can see some ■■■■■ fireman nicking a spanset. If you then watch closely it shows the damaged aluminium corner section of trailer and the damaged cab.

I would say that the shaft was secured with 2 straps, the driver had braked hard earlier in the journey to cause the shaft to move forward off its cradle. The whole shebang has then slipped off the trailer and bounced.

A very lucky family and a lucky driver too.