1st timer in an artic!

Its time for some pro opinion,

Its my first day (well night) trunking in a Class 1 later today. Yep its sqeaky bum time. My question is are there any guides/diagrams/positioning tips for reversing into tight roads/bays etc? I’m fine with the driving on the raod bit (afterall the carnage is left behind :smiley: ), and my reversing exercise in the test (passed 1st time :sunglasses: ) was a breeze. But lets face it… its a massive, empty, level yard. But in a crappy bad lit, pothole covered, busy yard or road i’m a bit well :confused: :question: :exclamation: .

Is it as simple as take yer time and leave plenty of room?

I must sound a right numpty here but if I can get a better mental picture, maybe I won’t need to pack my brown pants :grimacing:

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate,

I’m a newbie myself. I’ve found watching a few things on YouTube quite a big help, to see how Artics manouver, how much steering to put on etc.

try watching this youtube.com/watch?v=0Y_A-dcdRRg to give you some idea :slight_smile:

davedastardly:

YES and GOAL - Get Out And Look

If you GOAL ■■■ amount of times to be safe - so what!!

If there is an experienced driver about and you are struggling - ASK FOR HELP - tell them you are a newbie…

I won’t go into details (unless you want me to) but I got to one place and had their own artic driver reverse it in for me :exclamation: :exclamation: - that was in 2004 and I passed my artic test in 1988 :open_mouth: :laughing:

christ what a struggle! Cheers mate will have a gander about.

I always had trouble at the docks reversing under containers until an old guy told me to “back it up to here nice n straight then give it half a left turn and forget everything else” worked a treat - take advice and don’t be afraid to get out and check.

As already said if in doubt get out have a look, if still in doubt get someone to guide you in, nothing a few words wont sort out than taking someones mirror off, front quarter off etc etc… It will take time to get the hang of it and I dont think anyone on thissite or any driver can say they sometimes dont get a little iffed if reversing into a place they havent been to before. You’ll eventually get the hang of it, how much wheel turn you need, which way to turn to position your reversing. Theres nothing worse than seeing someone trying to rush, with everyone watching (Usually watching for you to ■■■■ up - Somehow makes them feel better).

My tip is to use all the space available, take your time and dont be afraid to ask for help. Forget it if any experienced driver gives you grief, they were new once. Obviously try not to reverse in on the blind side if possible too. Watch how others position there’s in the same places and how they do it. Finally try to pull forwards a bit so you can see both mirrors as often as you need to.

Take it steady, and try to relax and enjoy it. When reversing it doesnt matter how many shunts you need or that other drivers are watching - we all had to learn sometime. If when reversing you need to get out and look then do, it costs nothing - bent trailers, cars etc can be expensive to repair.

And in a few months you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good luck and bien viaje!!

If in doubt get out and look. Generaly you want to be steering towards the side you can see most of the trailer in. And practace makes perfect.

Talk about repeating yourself!!! :smiley:

theres no easy way to learn and it can’t be taught the most important thing is take your time get out to look as many times as you see fit. if in doubt ask someone how drivers normally get in, turn round etc. if you ask for help don’t trust whoever is assisting you cos there’s a lot of numpties about.
good luck

davedastardly:
Its time for some pro opinion,

Its my first day (well night) trunking in a Class 1 later today. Yep its sqeaky bum time. My question is are there any guides/diagrams/positioning tips for reversing into tight roads/bays etc? I’m fine with the driving on the raod bit (afterall the carnage is left behind :smiley: ), and my reversing exercise in the test (passed 1st time :sunglasses: ) was a breeze. But lets face it… its a massive, empty, level yard. But in a crappy bad lit, pothole covered, busy yard or road i’m a bit well :confused: :question: :exclamation: .

I must sound a right numpty here but if I can get a better mental picture, maybe I won’t need to pack my brown pants :grimacing:

Thanks in advance!

To be honest mate there’s only ONE way to learn how to reverse and that is by doing it yourself (with guidance and help when required) on the job! (if you’ll pardon the expression)
No amount of Youtube viewings, or any other stuff like it, AWAY from the day to day job, are going to be of any real help.

As others have said, it’s important to take your time, take it slow and easy, and if in DOUBT, get OUT and have a look (you’ll get sick of hearing that one, but it is so important!). You will come across many different situations depending on the sort of work you do, and it’s important you don’t panic, or more importantly be panicked by others!
Before you know it, it will be second nature!

Good luck with your new job tonight!

Thanks alot guys, here goes nothin!

I always find it useful to keep repeating " right to go left, left to go right ". Still manage to ■■■■ it up at times. :smiley:

best of luck mate :grimacing:

like everyone else has said, stay calm, take your time, and if your unsure, always get out and have a look, its worth it, and don’t let anyone rush ya. if you get any snide comments, just remind em, we all had too start somewhere.
it will be hard at first, but everyday, it gets abit easier.
i’ve been doing class 1 15 years now, and still ■■■■ it up every now and then.

Willy Gofar:
I always find it useful to keep repeating " right to go left, left to go right ". Still manage to ■■■■ it up at times. :smiley:

I usualy ■■■■ it up when i drive a rigid.

Get as much practice reversing in your own yard if possible.
I used to practice tight reverses and blind side manoveures. It really helped to learn how the trailer behaves. It’s easier learning in an empty yard than learning how when you have to block a road to reverse thru a set of narrow gateposts. Helps your confidence too.

When manouvering, dont get distracted!
It’s all to easy to look at the impatient motorists or look around to see if anyone is watching you. Once you do that you’ve lost concentration and you’re back to square one. Ignore everything and concentrate on what you are doing. You have enough areas and mirrors to watch without looking for any more!

Get out and look!
You will always look like a bigger div when you hit something! I remembering delivering to this poky unit in Belfast once. Tiny yard, narrow gateway and off a busy four lane road. To get in you have to block all four lanes of the road. Still, I got out twice and checked that I wasn’t gonna hit the MD’s new 7 series. Dont look at the motorists when getting out. Drives them nuts too!!

Reversing dead simple what are you worrying about four simple rules :

1. Ask how others do it on a particular site.(they see it done everyday)
  2. Take your TIME rushing around causes problems.
  3. If in doubt ask someone to help belive it or not other people will help if needed.
  4. GET OUT AND LOOK weigh up the situation (how many times has the ■■■ end swung round and hit something).

Practice makes perfect and good luck . :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Remember the 40% rule, if you only allow your trailer to turn up to 40% from your unit you will keep it under full control by steering towards the mirror with the most trailer in. That way you are pushing it, but as soon as you go beyond 40% from your unit you are following your trailer not controlling it until you recover it to within 40%. Use the rear corners of the trailer like shot gun sight aim it where you want to go. So very offer I see learners spend so much concentration keeping it straight that they forgot to look where their going. Good Luck.

Willy Gofar:

how many people have got so used to saying this they’ve nearly hit the gate post on friday nite? lol
good luck don’t forget to let us know how you got on tomorrow.