Does anybody know?

How long an RTITB fork truck license lasts for ?

simon

you should have a expirey date at the bottom. if not i think they last for 4 years :exclamation:

Theres no expiry on it but it looks like i’ll have to do a refresher course anyway

thanks for the reply
simon :sunglasses:

it’s normally 5 years and you do a refresher course 6months b4 it run’s out. :wink:

Simon my RTITB has no expiry date on it. I did it about 3 years ago with a company in Wakefield. It was paid for by an ‘Individual learning account’(government money to support the gravy train) which was a government scheme at the time.

At the end of the teach your grandmother to ■■■■ eggs course they gave me the certificate and plastic card. On it it stated that I was qualified to drive trucks up to 4 ton. (I took the test on an electric 1.5 tonne still FLT that they borrowed from a small engineering company next door). When I explained to them that the truck I drove at work was a 5 tonne diesel truck they simply went back onto the word processor and changed it to ‘trucks over 5 tonne’. (says it all don’t it)

In 1991 I got a lorry mounted crane licence from a similar organisation. That had a 5 year date on it. I never renewed it as a matter of principle. I make no apologies for not forking out a couple of hundred quid for some pillock who hardly knows what day of the week it is to show me how to do a job that I do day in day out.

Next Saturday my gaffer has paid for a course to renew it so that anywhere I deliver knows that we pay enough lip service to such nonsense to let me on site. In my opinion such course’s and training institutions have a licence to print money and have nothing to with either training or health and safety…

Can someone explain to me how a licence to drive a HGV on the public road lasts a lifetime (with medicals) and yet some crazy money making scheme to test you on cranes or FLT’s only lasts 5 years.

Hi

I work at one of those RDC`s you all love so much :wink: :laughing:

company policy used to be refresher training/re-test every 3 years
I say used to be as my counterbalance test was 8 years ago :open_mouth: no training since,i had 1 re-test on reach truck about 4 years ago

I have searched the net for info on forktruck training/refreshers to find out if there were any laws being broken and found that it looks like refresher training is only recommended

A google and dig amongst the results turns up pages like this

At present there is no legal requirement to re-fresh. It is however recommended that an operators driving skills may need to be assessed every 3-5 years

Dave

No re-test required, once you have passed the RTITB forklift tests on the individual classes of forklifts you have it untill either you are too old or they find someone better, however as mentioned in earlier posts some companies as company policy require forks drivers to have a refresher course as a matter of health and safety, much the the sameas a driving assesement really.

Likewise I’ve never had a refresher on my 4 wway reach or 2 tonne counterbalance and when I started at my new firm they got someone in to do the 5 tonne diesel counterbalance AND 4 tonne teleporter in a day! He got me to unload a lorry with both and said you know more than me and and that was it! Ticket duely arrived in post a few weeks later

DAve