Am i totally off my head?

Right, here goes.
For the last 2 years, I have worked in a office, for a car spares and salvage firm.
The money is good, as are the hours.
I leave my house at 8-30 in the morning, drop my youngest off at school, and start work at 9-00A.M.
The latest I am back home is 6-00P.M.
Some of my weekends are spent driving, to " Keep my hand in " .

For any - one who has not read my posts, I have driven a number of class 1 motors over the last few years, from fridges to tilts, general haulage, and finally a few years on heavy haulage.

Yesterday an old mate phoned me, to ask if I would drive his new Topliner.

I have agreed to see him next week to discuss rates etc.

The hours will be more, for the same money, and I’ll be away from home.

At the end of the day, I miss driving full time.

Comments please, boys and girls - it’s a public site.

p.s. the logon chatroom is not for me - I cannot type fast !

Cheers,

Niall.

Only you can make that decision, Niall :frowning: .

As a general rule, if your heart’s telling you to go do it then you won’t go far wrong if you follow it :slight_smile: .

You sound like you were born with diesel in your blood like many of us on here. You just can’t break free :confused: :laughing:

Diesel in the blood? Most of us have blood in our diesel lines mate :wink:
Go with your heart, do what will make you happiest, and you won’t go far wrong. (Unless like me what you really love is illegal, immoral or fattening :wink: )

only you can make the decision niall but driving part time is not the same as driving full time and whilst you enjoy the freedom of a couple of days a week when you like the new job will be whether you like or not.
when you say the same pay, have you included what you earn part time too?
that will make a difference because driving full time will mean that the part time driving stops.
think long and hard niall. the other thing is that you will be working for a friend, never a good thing, the best way is to work for a stranger and make them a new friend, that way you won’t be too upset if you lose that friendship down the road somewhere.
you know the score, he is desperate and needs you to work boxing day or something or just run that trailer in over your hours and of course the wife says you are not working boxing day or you aren’t prepared to run over your hours because someone isn’t good at running transport.
bye bye friendship.

Sounds like a question you should be asking your family… a change like that has effects on everyone and their opinions should be considered… they shouldn’t necessarily make your decision for you, but at least consider their points of view. What were your reasons for leaving the industry to begin with? And it doesn’t sound like your dissatisified with the job you have now. Do the benefits outweigh the disadvantages? Bottom line is that if driving is what will ultimately make you happy, and your family can adjust, then do it. But like Johnny says… working for a friend puts the friendship on the line.

Niall.

Don’t forget the bad times as well. Try hard to remember the countless times the job got in the way and if after that you still want to do it then there’s your answer.

Thanks for the replies.

The truth is, I am bored. The family are all o.k. with a change of job, as they have all grown up with me being on the road.
The wife has always said " Do whatever job you want,as long as you are happy " ( and the bills get paid ! )

I am at present working for a ‘Mate’ , who I have known for 10 years.
He gives me more or less a free reign on the salvage company, knowing I can draw the line between friendship and business.

The man who has approached me knows how I work when driving an artic.
He has his own O licence to protect, and knows I will say no to anything illegal.
After all, It’s my licence on the line as well.

The weekend money I get at the moment does’nt come in to it, after all it’s only a bit of beer money, and it’s only now and again.

With any job there is good and bad times, as we are all aware.

I know it’s my decision. I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Niall.

If you were me, I’d stay in the job you’re already in. I’ve had enough of driving, I absolutely detest it !

I finished my sixth shift last night at 0100 hrs, I go back on Thursday afternoon and I’m already looking for excuses to get out of it (Zorba, if you’re reading this - not a word to Roger or Phil, thanks… !).