Was it really worth it?

I passed my class 2 test 2 weeks ago, and now Im wondering if it was worth doing at all… :cry:

There has been a few posts recently saying the same sort of thing - unfortunately you got yours just as this downturn was upon us.

In ‘normal’ circumstances it is not easy to get that first foot on the ladder but now is not a good time for experienced drivers, let alone newbies.

Remember that you now have the licence and when things pick up, which they will, eventually, you will be in a good position to get going - you might even have that elusive ‘2 years so called experience’ that a lot of agencies seem to want.

OK, right now it feels like you have wasted money as you cannot do anything with it, but just think of it as an investment for the future :slight_smile:

peebro123 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 am:
Hi I’m new to this site!
Passed my class 2 four months before you on May 20th 08. Not recommending you do what I did (giving up a full time job), but I just went for it in ignorance I suppose. I will share what I’ve learnt (being a new pass) regarding agencies.

1. Agencies will only use you if you are signed up with them, so must get on their books. Even if they have got no work now, most decent ones will have in the future at some point. Don’t go mad, but get on several.

2.If an agency is unwilling to take you on try this ‘I am willing to do van; 7.5tonne & also have a class2’ If you don’t need me now what about the Holiday Season? They will remember fighting over the same pool of drivers as their competitors to fill jobs & hopefully register you. (Don’t get stuck on van or 7.5tonne work mind. Not available is the politest way to turn it down.)

3.I passed just before the holiday season & this is the best time to get your breaks and get some experience. May not be quite the same this year, but definitely the best time. I was turning work down during holiday season even as a new pass. Once the agency has confidence with you they will give you more breaks. Do not be totally put off with this 2 year experience thing. It is a factor, but mainly for insurance purposes. I get the impression some firms have saved a few quid and have this stipulation in their insurance policy, but a lot ‘DO NOT’. I have to date worked for 25 different companies now & not even a year under my belt so it’s not impossible. I’m 44 & I do think a bit of maturity is a bit of an advantage!

4.When you eventually start getting breaks, do a sterling job (which you won’t always do). If your confident you have done a good job, say to the client when leaving that if they are happy, ask for you by name when they next need a driver. I now leave a card with only MY NAME; CLASS 2 ADR/HIAB AGENCY DRIVER on it & write the agency that booked me on the back. When clients ask for you by name it helps the agency have confidence to put you out with other clients. I have been amazed at the change in attitude of consultants as they now need you so they can give their client what they are asking for! Loads of firms I’ve worked for have complained of agency drivers not being too good so if prompted remember a decent one.

Just a few thoughts for what they are worth!

Robster_1981:
I am fully aware of the job market and i’m not expecting to get a full time job straight away, or even any work for that matter :frowning:
I want to make a career in haulage in one way or another, and the only way to do that is to have the licences. The economy is a cyclic beast and it is only a matter of time before we’re climbing out of the recession, and when we do, i’ll be there with my Class 1 licence beating down people’s doors :laughing:

It is a lot of money to spend, but I really think it will be money well spent (eventually). I considered this path a few years ago and God, do I wish I did it then, but you live and learn. I have a very flexible job (taxi driver) so i’m perfectly placed for ad-hoc agency work if it comes up.

Think about it, you have another string to your bow,the jobs will come back before to long and us oldies can not go on forever ,well done

You can’t say I didn’t warn you!..but as Rog has said Stu, by the time everything sorts itself out, you’ll prob have that “6 months - 2 years experience” they all want! Did you call up Saints?

Adam_Mc:
You can’t say I didn’t warn you!..but as Rog has said Stu, by the time everything sorts itself out, you’ll prob have that “6 months - 2 years experience” they all want! Did you call up Saints?

To be fair my instructors warned me, but I thought the likes of 3663 and Brakes who always take on, arent - hell even Basingtoke Skip Hire arent even taking on… :cry:
Im not bothered by what I drive, I’ll even drive 7.5 tonners to get the experience…
Yes I did call Saints, however its the HR department and the answer phone message stated she’s away until the 23rd… :frowning:
Oh, and my mum didnt particulary like the suggestion of hiring a 26t fridge van to move to Yorkshire :grimacing:

DAF95XF:
Oh, and my mum didnt particulary like the suggestion of hiring a 26t fridge van to move to Yorkshire :grimacing:

I reckon that is a COOL idea :blush: :blush:

ROG:

DAF95XF:

I reckon that is a COOL idea :blush: :blush:

I think so too, but my mums less than impressed - and its cheaper than she thinks it is to hire one… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s about luck as much as anything at the moment mate.I went for a job yesterday,went into a reception hall where a notice said “Fill in the form on the table and put completed form in the folder” :open_mouth: There must have been 30 or 40 forms already in the folder when I got there,and it was only 9.30 :cry:

stick with it , short term crap///// long term good job to be paid to visit loads of places around u k and being paid for the privalige
oopps forgot to say sometimes you may have to “work” for a short while

its only been 2 weeks ! there are a lot of experienced men been out of work longer,never mind newbies.passing your test didnt mean you got a job next day with it . :unamused:

Hard going right now, but things will change at some point and when they do be glad you got the licence.

With all due respect I passed my class 2 nearly three years ago and it took me a year to get a job! And that was when there was jobs. I got a break and now I drive an artic for same company but I did have to pay for my own license. No one gets owt for free these days. Stop being such a drama queen we’re in a recession man even un-skilled workers cant get work! Given time like the rest of us you’ll think one day I wonder what the fuss was about hell I got really depressed but believe me Ive been there I know its not easy but its not a given right to drive a truck just because you can.
Good luck for the future and I mean that, I know you’re keen just as I was but its just waiting for that one break to come you’ll get it some day and all this will be forgotten :wink:

You’re the guy who drives buses aren’t you? You may not like it but at least you’ve got a job.
clicky

Our local zoo had 3000 people turn up after 150 seasonal jobs. And this area is generally quite easy for jobs what with all the warehouses etc nearby.