Eddie stobart crick assesment and possible wages tramping

got a assement at crick next week…was wondering what do they like you to do on assesment …also i know it probaly been said before what would i expect to take home for monday to friday tramping …ive done a search but the replies were nearly a year old …they have told me i will be based at crick

Can’t help on the wages, I’ve mislaid the wages list from an assessment I had for Goole, but iirc they’re pretty decent and have good meal allowances etc. Pretty responsible stuff.

As for the drive itself, mine was simply out of the yard, round a few roundabouts and so on. As with most, they pretty much “know” by the time you get to the gates if you’re going to be okay or not - crap driving shows up quickly in most drivers.

Key things they looked for:

If unit is already coupled up they tell you as such and invite you to just get in but satisfy yourself if you must - take the chance to check the legs are up, dog-clip is on, and park brake is off. Shows good safety mindedness. They lap it up.
Not over-revving
Smooth gear changes
Confident driving
Considerate driving
No speeding
Plenty of obs.
Economical driving.

Than back in the yard they often ask you to reverse park into a bay on your left. I had loads of space so pretty much lined it up and took the whole yard - why struggle? But what they are looking for is the ability to park it on the blind side where necessary. At least that’s what they said to me.

I was told that the little tight turn I did to position myself is considered a no-no, since it scrubs more off the tyres and they don’t like that, they want your economical driving to consider all aspects and if that means tackling a difficult reverse instead of screwing it round, then so be it.

Of course every driver I saw since when I went in as an agency driver was screwing it round left right and centre, tyre-marks all over the yard.

i was talking a my mate who is a day tramper from sherburn. he reckons its the best job he has ever had and takes home £1100 a fortnight. you arent paid weekly its fortnightly.

he has handed his notice in today as he only gets 1 1/2 days a week at home and his mrs is having a baby in june. but like i say he reckons best job he has ever had and is sorry to be leaving.

I was asked the height of the trailer which i forgot haha. Also take your hi viz off in the cab it reflects in the windscreen dont you know. good luck.

do they pay your parking

yes they pay all parking,and all the scannies are autos now,so dont worry bout revvin it.theyll ask basic things such as whats speed limit in yard,trailer height,speed limit of road yr on.just drive it like it was yr own n a coppers followin!i worked there 7 yrs ago,but young kids n all,wanted to be home daily.as general goes,you wont find easier…plus no tie either anymore :laughing:

how you mean by trailer height …the marking that is in the unit

stvme2519:
how you mean by trailer height …the marking that is in the unit

no i should imagine the trailer height on the headboard. :confused:

What their after is can you drive?
I mean a few pointer’s are,

1.Remember to turn the engine off and take the key’s out whilst hitching up-Stobarts at the moment are big on trying to save fuel and security.

1. you’ll more than likely not have to hitch up or drop off trailer’s,you’ll just have to explain how to do it,remebering no1 above.

2. Just drive how you normally drive not like your on your test,just watch your speed and plenty of mirror’s.

4.You’ll probably be in the training vehicle,which is a low ride Volvo fh,manual box and an anologue tacho,but take your digi card with you as they will want to see it.

5.They will more than likely tell you there and then if you’ve got the job,if not they will tell you within 24 hrs and if you’re based in Crick tramping you’ll get an Volvo FH Globetrotter,don’t worry if its an old one as Crick are getting new Volvo FH,s from the Summer onwards.

The only bug-bear with the job is someone using your truck at the weekend but apart from that the money’s good for what you do,the tackle is top notch,anything wrong with it get it round to the garage and usually if you play ball with your planner,he will with you(like getting you home early etc).

I’ve left Stobart’s twice (left for various reason’s) and am now back for a 3rd stint,just because Esl is a one of the better place’s i’ve ever worked for!

Good luck for your assesment,oh you’ll have to answer a multi choice exam on hours,road sign’s,but its common sense mainly,and i hope to hear how you get on.

Jase

jase:
5.They will more than likely tell you there and then if you’ve got the job,if not they will tell you within 24 hrs

Not IME they won’t.

Unless that’s because I applied to a high value depot so they do more checks that take longer.

only thing im woried about if do a uncouple … i done my test through works instructor and we was taught how to split couple because of fridges there was no roon to get in between he never showed us the normal way …been told stobarts dont like split coupling

It’s a total no-no.

They use sliding 5th wheels with an in-cab control so no need anyway, and if in doubt you clunk home, clip in, legs up a touch, shunt button on and pull and turn enough to get in. Shunt off of course before climbing up, and legs all the way when ready.

edit - uncoule - then reverse it. Get the angle to undo the hoses, shunt in, park, then shunt off, park brake, and finish up.

el gordo 78:
It’s a total no-no.

They use sliding 5th wheels with an in-cab control so no need anyway, and if in doubt you clunk home, clip in, legs up a touch, shunt button on and pull and turn enough to get in. Shunt off of course before climbing up, and legs all the way when ready.

edit - uncoule - then reverse it. Get the angle to undo the hoses, shunt in, park, then shunt off, park brake, and finish up.

Sliding 5th wheel with in cab control? Not in the Motors i`ve had gordo?

stvme2519:
got a assement at crick next week…was wondering what do they like you to do on assesment …also i know it probaly been said before what would i expect to take home for monday to friday tramping …ive done a search but the replies were nearly a year old …they have told me i will be based at crick

Shame you never asked them at interview?

no one has said what the money is like.
i filled an application out one night when i was full of whiskey.
never thought i would hear a thing about it.i just had a letter saying i was getting called in for interview and assesment.
if the money is ok i will go,but i would hate to got through all the crap and find that its money i wouldnt work for.
i would have to pack in before i start.
i wasnt serious when i filled out the form but as i had a reply.
well the plant is good and work is easy…so why not have a look.
will one of you stobart drivers out there please give a clue as to the money…thanks

Its either £7.20 or £7.40 an hour i cant remember which(although i work for stobart im on a different pay scheme) You get more for between 6 pm and 6am £20 night out plus all parking paid £9 meal allowance(just gone up to £12 i believe) £5 daily bonus Ive heard they want new starters to work either a saturday or sunday as part of there shift i.e sun-thurs or tues-sat.
A few of my mates work on the uk side and are averaging £500-£550 per week but expect maximum hours

stobart are very keen on engine off, keys out. jon can you buy the coffees in lokeren next week ■■?

JB:
Its either £7.20 or £7.40 an hour i cant remember which(although i work for stobart im on a different pay scheme) You get more for between 6 pm and 6am £20 night out plus all parking paid £9 meal allowance(just gone up to £12 i believe) £5 daily bonus Ive heard they want new starters to work either a saturday or sunday as part of there shift i.e sun-thurs or tues-sat.
A few of my mates work on the uk side and are averaging £500-£550 per week but expect maximum hours

I take home £550 to £600 a week Mon to Fri nights Tramping and you get the night rate from before 6pm if that is the start time given Crick get £25.00 daily shift allowance i think.I am based at Aveley in Essex

el gordo 78:
Can’t help on the wages, I’ve mislaid the wages list from an assessment I had for Goole, but iirc they’re pretty decent and have good meal allowances etc. Pretty responsible stuff.

As for the drive itself, mine was simply out of the yard, round a few roundabouts and so on. As with most, they pretty much “know” by the time you get to the gates if you’re going to be okay or not - crap driving shows up quickly in most drivers.

If unit is already coupled up they tell you as such and invite you to just get in but satisfy yourself if you must - take the chance to check the legs are up, dog-clip is on, and park brake is off. Shows good safety mindedness. They lap it up.
Not over-revving
Smooth gear changes
Confident driving
Considerate driving
No speeding
Plenty of obs.
Economical driving.

Than back in the yard they often ask you to reverse park into a bay on your left. I had loads of space so pretty much lined it up and took the whole yard - why struggle? But what they are looking for is the ability to park it on the blind side where necessary. At least that’s what they said to me.

I was told that the little tight turn I did to position myself is considered a no-no, since it scrubs more off the tyres and they don’t like that, they want your economical driving to consider all aspects and if that means tackling a difficult reverse instead of screwing it round, then so be it.

Of course every driver I saw since when I went in as an agency driver was screwing it round left right and centre, tyre-marks all over the yard.

you stobbarts drivers deserve all you get hes employing poles now what chance dou think u will have of getting a raise

merrymaid:

el gordo 78:

Not over-revving
Smooth gear changes
Confident driving
Considerate driving
No speeding
Plenty of obs.
Economical driving.

you stobbarts drivers deserve all you get hes employing poles now what chance dou think u will have of getting a raise

What you ranting at me for?
Am I Mr Stobart?
Do I work for him?
Do I have a problem with Poles?
DIGAS?

Nope on all counts :slight_smile: