Class 1 Pay

Why are we paid so little, when the likes of ASDA / Tesco / Morrisons anounce large profits each year, they can afford to pay more to suppliers, seems they have got too large and call the tune?
This brings it home to you in 1981 ‘yes 23 yrs ago’ ! I went self employed as a mechanic, my hourly rate was £6 p/hr, my take home pay now is £5.70 p/hr I work 4 on 4 off 48 hours shifts 14 days holiday p/a, ‘requested’ to work bank holidays’( for extra pay) It pees me off when my firm employs agency staff pay them £18 p/hr for Sundays & even double man them!!! to [zb] the job up! like how do I get onto the M6 from Stockport lol lol !
Our o/time rate is time and an eighth. Can anyone beat that■■?
Can’t complain the jobs a doddle though!!!
Even the cleaners at Asda L/worth are on £25k a yr, is it right they need a class 1 to drive the green bins around? ;;;

OK so lets know what rate you are all on up and down the country.
Off to bed now workin later .

Small one.L. :wink:

Welcome to TruckNetUK, Bigwheeler.

This subject has been aired quite a bit recently. There is also a thread asking the question, Why are you a Trucker?
After all, like you say, we aren’t exactly well paid, but we are still there doing the job. Long hours, rarely home at night, treated like zb ( zb is a TruckNet tradition) by far to many people etc etc and not paid nearly enough for the responsibility etc. I think that thread is titled ‘I love my job’, (just came to me :smiley: ).

Anyway, we hope to here from you, as often as possible. Don’t be shy and don’t be a stranger.

I believe that if we all hang on in there the industry is going to turn itself around,in time we should all be paid what we are worth.I myself work for wincanton on the woolies contract and have done for the last 15 years,like yourself i think the jobs a piece of cake,and ive heard people joke about some of our dinky toy trailers,but you want to see where some of them have to go.Pay i reasonable currently £8 an hour then time and a third after that,its not difficult to take home £400 plus a week for around 60 hours.Bearing this in mind that that will change when the 48 hour week and knowing wincanton they will want to be pioneers of the ■■■■ rule so at the moment we are fighting for a decent salary,so who knows !!!

diffrent pay scale but same company

i work for wincantons on the littlewods contract are hourly pay is £7.17 per hour and after 45 hours we get time and a half . i don’t work anymore then 60 hours a week,no nights out.

like you say wooly when it finally sorts its self out we will proberbly be the first to know.

at the mo im happy but we shall see what happens regards the wtd :wink:

jon

i got my first weeks wage on friday since i started nights and i picked up 400quid and did 53hours for that.when i was tramping out monday to friday i used to pick up £426 and was 70 hours plus. a b&q driver told me the wtd will be the end of tramping cuz youll have driers out of hours come wednesday night .i suppose we will have to wait and see :laughing:

When I worked for Tesco (not a contractor) I was on anual hours based on 7.95 an hour with time and a half for regular O/T, if I worked an unscheduled day I was on double time all day, if I worked an unscheduled bank holiday my wage worked out at 27.00 an hour.
After leaving Tesco to do something more interesting I would work moatly at weekends traveling to and from shows Thursday / Friday and back on Mondays, some weeks i made 1,500 quid.

Pay here cannot compare to the UK because it is mostly by the mile. When i first came here I thought it was a very bad system, but I now know there is no way I could make this sort of money living in the UK for just Monday to Friday work.

Jonah:
a b&q driver told me the wtd will be the end of tramping cuz youll have driers out of hours come wednesday night .i suppose we will have to wait and see :laughing:

I hope that is’nt go to be the case, one day I hope to return to the UK and long distance tramping is what I like to do back home…One man one truck, leave out Sunday don’t look for me until friday night at the earliest!

CLASS 1 PAY… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

MOP` N BUCKET…BEST DESCIBES IT… :wink:

work for link logistics out of blairlinn ■■■■■■■■■■■ just got a pay rise the other day was on £7.03ph . now on £8.50ph but there was a catch got an extra £1.41ph unsocial after 6pm but they have done away with unsocial money from 6pm till midnight as i work 4to12 i lost out so it works out i got 6pence an hour rise [zb][zb] :angry:

Not subtle enough!L. :wink:

Bigwheels i once worked for the firm u work for and they went thru,300 drivers in less than a year,… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

well 301 including me acctually, :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: not knocking yr job mate, but the rate they pay MIGHT JUST HAVE AN ANGLE ON IT… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Take care mate tone, home of mop`n bucket money… :wink:

My dad gets around the £600 mark each week depending on where he goes. Out on a Sunday back on Saturday :frowning: Three trips across to your side :wink: during the week every week. - back to N.I. on tuesday morn. out again same evening and the same on thursday , then back Saturday morn. Out in the wagon all week , no time at home- only time for reload then its back to the boat for another trip :unamused:

I’ll wave to you all next week when we fly past you :laughing: :laughing: just look out for a big actros :laughing: :laughing:

v8 karl correct me if im wrong but sunday to saturday means your dad is using 7 consecutive tachcos which i think youll find is illeagle :question:

Jonah:
v8 karl correct me if im wrong but sunday to saturday means your dad is using 7 consecutive tachcos which i think youll find is illeagle :question:

Really?? Well he done the same amount of time at another job for a man that ran completely and utterly 100% legal so i dunno■■?

Jonah:

Your talking Ireland though Jonah :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Despite the speed limits being 56 in the UK you dont see them sticking to them

So why bother about working more than 6 consecutive shifts :confused: :confused: :confused:

May as well get hung for a sheep instead of a lamb :unamused: :unamused:

Cliff Warby:

Jonah:
a b&q driver told me the wtd will be the end of tramping cuz youll have driers out of hours come wednesday night .i suppose we will have to wait and see :laughing:

I hope that is’nt go to be the case, one day I hope to return to the UK and long distance tramping is what I like to do back home…One man one truck, leave out Sunday don’t look for me until friday night at the earliest!

Same here Cliff, I hope it dont finish the job. I really dont want to be a trunker, or share me motor. If it comes to it, I’ll buy one again and tramp till 2009.

Mal.

Bigwheel the answer might be to go on agency and come back and do the same job for more money. Some areas of the country there aren’t many options, but I would have thought there would be plenty of HGV 1 jobs paying more in your area. I think thats the only real answer in the end if there is better money down the road take it and stuff them that won’t pay. They’ll get the idea eventually or end up with a yard of full of trucks not going anywhere.

Jonah:

Jumping to conclusions there Jonah. :wink: :smiley: Doesn’t say what time he starts on a Sunday or what time he gets home on a Saturday, depending on start times you could do that in six shifts and be legal. There is also no law that says you can’t use 7 consecutive tachos, I’ve done it myself on more than one occasion. Start Sunday and work through until finish of shift Friday evening, 24 hours off (away from home) then start work Saturday evening then do 6 more shifts finishing on Friday morning for the weekend. 13 consecutive tachos and legal.

The way I understand the WTD is that time spent on break is not classed as working time. So if you are in the cab, asleep or watching telly etc, whilst they tip your container etc. you havent used your WTD hours, just your tacho hours. I believe the French Drivers have a 35 hours week, but use the same system.

muckles:
The way I understand the WTD is that time spent on break is not classed as working time. So if you are in the cab, asleep or watching telly etc, whilst they tip your container etc. you havent used your WTD hours, just your tacho hours. I believe the French Drivers have a 35 hours week, but use the same system.

I thought that Muckles, but according to Hanburys union man from Ipswich, its bump to bump, and thats what he got told, from card in, whatever youre doing. Theres a few grey areas still I reckon.

Mal.

Jonah:

Perhaps by the time he gets home his V8 karl is asleep and therfore doesn’t see him until Saturday morning. :smiley: