Disgusting

Well been back to doing night’s out now since Jan, and what i would like to know is after paying up to £15 for the privelage of parking on MSAs i get treated like dirt. ( and i try my hardest to avoid them ) You do not always have time for or need a shower, so when you come to have a wash, why is there no hanger for your clothes and no hot water either, the least they could do is provide hot water, and after talking to a couple of drivers the other night, Hilton park are cutting down on parking for lorries, and as i have mentioned before lorries are going to be banned from knutsford, WHY, and i thought space for HGVs had to be provided, and i thought there was a campaign about driving whilst tired apperently this does not affect lorry drivers.

Dafman:
and as i have mentioned before lorries are going to be banned from knutsford, WHY, and i thought space for HGVs had to be provided, and i thought there was a campaign about driving whilst tired apperently this does not affect lorry drivers.

I agree I thought there was a legal obligation for msa’s to provide parking for everybody (not just cars & coaches)?

MSA’s had an obligation to provide parking for lorries when the sites were leased from the Highways Agency, but as Moto now own the freehold of all the sites they operate that may not be a requirement. However, even if it is, they only have to provide parking for one lorry!!
I guess they want to shove all the lorries up to Lymm from Knutsford, better grub there anyway :wink:

Martin:
MSA’s had an obligation to provide parking for lorries when the sites were leased from the Highways Agency, but as Moto now own the freehold of all the sites they operate that may not be a requirement.

Well that raises another question as regards parking fees,

my understanding is that msa’s make a charge for parking as it is a reqirement of their lease agreement with the dot so if they are no longer leased then surely they are no longer under any obligation to charge (not that this will stop them) but as the land is no longer public property (ie not owned by the dot) then they cannot force you to pay.
the police cannot force you to move on as the land is privately owned (although the public have access to it) ?

your views please

Have to be careful here NSH, there was always a debate about MSA’s charging for parking when the land was leased as they were not allowed to sub-let, and IMHO charging for the bit of tarmac we park on is sub-letting.
The MSA’s argued then that they were charging for the service they provided (What service I hear you scream!!) But I suppose they might have been responsible for keeping the sites clean (cleaning up after some drivers I see must be an horrific job) and providing other facilities we may or may not use.

Now they own the sites they do have to make them pay, if I were a shareholder (I’m not!) I would expect a return on my investment and allowing trucks to park for free on valuable land will not give me that return.
Another point is that now the land is private they can legally wheel clamp you and charge the earth to let you escape. Oh yes, the police do have authority on private property, or are you telling me they cant arrest you in your home?

britishparking.co.uk/pages/m … orum03.htm

Can I just say a big thumbs up to Penrith truckstop now under new ownership. They have made the cafe more pleasant and the parking cheaper and the washing facilities are always nice and clean. The only quibble I have got is that the food couldbe a bit cheaper and why have they stopped the BOTTOMLESS cup offer!!!

Never parked up at an MSA and don’t intend to, unless absolutely stuck.
I use their facilities during the day - ie for a shower, toilets, cash machine or food (again only if I’m desperate). It’s just too expensive. I just stop somewhere for grub and park in a layby. If not a truckstop, usually cheaper.

Martin:
Oh yes, the police do have authority on private property, or are you telling me they cant arrest you in your home?

whilst not trying to start an argument they cannot arrest you in your own home…unless they have either a court warrant,they are invited in or they have reasonable suspision that a crime is in progress (I think also if it is in the course of a pursuit but i’m not 100 per cent on that one)

But in any case you are talking about criminal law wheras i was refering to a civil offence

But on the rest of what you said I see where you are coming from

As for clamping that is still a grey area as far as the law is concerned but I think there is impending legislation coming in,but if i was clamped i would find a way of getting it off :wink:

just a quick one about clamping… :smiling_imp:

‘a vehicle cannot be clamped, if there is a person present with the said vehicle’

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

when i did nights away i avoided nightowl (bp truckstops)like the plague .i found doncaster services really good 2 clean showers a couple of proper sinks you could have a wash at they also do a £3.95 voucher for a meal with a plate full of chips .since doing nights though ive lost half a stone in weight no fry ups no burgerkings or mcd,s just good old sarnies and a flask.services may be expensive but try getting a place to park and have a 45 in the wee small hours at many of em :smiley:

i parked at woodhall a few weeks ago… i,d had a stinker of a day… and had no intention of paying for parking…(boss dont pay it …why should i)… was sat making a brew and the security gadgey comes a knocking… i says to him…
look m8 i,m not getting at you personally, but i aint paying you nowt to park…A i,m skint. B my gaffa doesnt pay it so if you want to clamp me get on with it b4 i get my head down for the night…
his reply was get your head down m8…i wont book you in…
why are they all not like this chap at woodhall eh… bloody marvelous :smiley: :smiley:

Oh my head aches,I thought that I ad got away from all the crap about over night parking,some weeks Ive left home at 5am and not got home till 9pm friday and been asked to go in on saturday *******,been robbed in the the night had glass on the steps because I had a tail lift and the [zb] could`nt get in,never been gassed,reading the above posting brings it all back. :cry: :cry: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Much as I agree, if it needs stars then it’s not allowed…L. :wink:

cornish trucker:
just a quick one about clamping… :smiling_imp:

‘a vehicle cannot be clamped, if there is a person present with the said vehicle’

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ARE YOU HAVING A [ZB] LAUGH :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Obviously never been to Land rover :laughing: :laughing:

I am ok i get my parking paid so nearly get to eat for free, but we are treated like cattle, kept out of the way, and given the minimum facilities they can get away with.