Asking for trouble

i was doing a delivery to a company in dalgety bay in fife, they don’t have room in there own warehouse so i was asked to take it to a company just round the corner from where i was. no problem.gets round there and there are two artics one inside getting tipped and the other outside waiting to get loaded with the pallets that are getting tipped from the artic inside.so i parked behind the other artic,was there 2 mins and along comes this 11year old boy (if he was that old)

he asked me what i was there for and i said who are you, he replied i work in there,it’s my grandad’s warehouse/firm.ok i told him that i had some pallets (19) to come off for storage.he then went and told one off the guys.10 mins went past and me and the other driver’s are standing talking as you do,when this forklift went past and guess who was on it, yes this young lad.could not believe it.me and the other 2 drivers just looked and where amazed that someone that age was driving a forklift where you have artics moving in and around the yard all day.what if the h&s where to walk in :question: they would close the gates there and then,no questions asked.he was even stacking pallets on shelves etc,and you have people walking and working around this young lad.

i got talking to one of the companies driver’s who said that they had complained many a time about this lad,and they where told to mind there own buisness and to do what they are paid to do.he was getting involved with every truck that entered the depot,like when the fuel tanker came in he was straight over to the driver telling him where to go and what to do,when the guy was reversing he was trying to guide the driver back and was standing right behind where the driver could not see him.i said to him you better move from there as the driver can’t see you.it’s alright ,the driver stopped after i told him that this young lad was right behind him,he came out and told him to move.then he goes and gets involved with one of there own trucks that is reversing and the driver saw him and told him in plain english to move,he did not like it as his dad was in the yard,after that he went in the warehouse and the driver and the boys dad had words with each other.the dad walked away in a mood.i eventually got tipped 2 hours later and left thinking do i phone the health and safety on this one :question: but the thing i have to ask is if i do phone them i will be putting fellow drivers on the dole,do i really want that on my mind :question:

Sounds very dangerous to me mate!

I remember when I was that age I spent a lot of time around the neighbours transport yard, so I could have been that snotty nosed oik.

If trucks were moving I had to keep out of the way. I do remember that a haulier up the road had 2 or 3 tucks and while his son was driving the forktruck in the yard. He was under a truck with the wheels off.

The lad hit the truck and knocked it off the jacks and killed his Dad.

I was kept away from the yard for some time after that

The thing is do you want to go back and hear that the lad has been run over by a truck or do you want to run the risk of hitting whilst manourvering in the yard.
You could refuse to tip in thier yard until he is removed, that’ll cause a rumpuss.

Nothing to say but read the Following :confused: :confused:

ananova.com/news/story/sm_81 … theadlines

Imagine how that family felt afterwards :confused: :confused: :confused:

In my opinion there’s no argument.The HSE must be told.

Look at it this way.If you were unfortunate enough to be the one that ran him over,imagine how you would feel. :frowning:

Ken.

I worked for an Earthworking company a few years back driving a tractor & trailer (pre HGV licence) He had 2 sons about 15 & 12 they drove the machines 360 & 180 etc… I wasnt happy about it, but they seemd to be ok at it. I told my father in passing and he said yes he was the same bloke that ran over & killed his own daughter in a teleporter - backed over her or something.

You would think loosing his daughter would have made him ever so safety concious but no.

i eventually got tipped 2 hours later and left thinking do i phone the health and safety on this one but the thing i have to ask is if i do phone them i will be putting fellow drivers on the dole,do i really want that on my mind

Yes those drivers may loose their jobs, but that is there fault, they should have refused to work there. Is there job worth more than that childs life?

Yes those drivers may loose their jobs, but that is there fault, they should have refused to work there. Is there job worth more than that childs life

can’t argue with you there :wink: anyone got the number to health and safety :question: