Tomtom Sat nav!

I have decided to buy a tomtom.
I have a laptop but I am thinking of getting a PDA to go with it.

Anyone know where the the best deals for sat navs are?

are Tomtom’s the best? or is they a better satnav to go for??

critic me davey and tomcat use tomtom ive just got last version and has used totom since navigator version1 and can recomend it a couple of my earlier post have a link to a gps website im on there with the same id as here check ealier satnav topic for the address
just bear in mind that if you go for the bluetooth version it can be fiddley to get going but once you get it working the addvantages outweigh the disadvantages the also desinator kane (expensive as you have buy all the little add ons) and copilot with is good from what ive heard as for hardware id recomend the ipaq2210 basicly you looking for something that can take as many add ons as possible the 2210 does cf sd/mmc and bluetooth you need to get a machine that has at least 400mhz any less may cause the ppc to crash on ocasion

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What ever happened to reading a map :question:

it alows you to keep you eyes on the road and 3 tonne inweight from the unit because your carrying less weight and it looks cool too

Pat Hasler:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What ever happened to reading a map :question:

Problem with maps is that you need a bloody big bag to carry them all in!

And with satnav just imput postcode and away you go right to the front door!
its getting harder and harder to find a place to reverse nowerdays when you have just passed your turn off on a busy A or B road & sometimes you can go for miles and miles before you find the next roundabout :open_mouth:

I delever in North Yorkshire A170 and lots of B roads in between making a wrong turn sometimes is the diference of having a good day and a real ■■■■■■ one!

Cheers Alex I will look on the web for the best option! I have seen a tomtom3 including Ipac PDA for £400 looks a good deal

Istill say that the Dell Axim is the best PDA though, Just been to a mates this weekend and he’s using the HP Ipaq, too much hassle in my opinion :confused: :confused:

I’m using Tom Tom 2.24, and it’s found me some roads I didn’t know existed :laughing: :laughing:

I’m helping out next week with driving a rigid down the west coast so I’ll know just how much better than maps it will be when I get back on Thursday Lol

Davey Driver:
Istill say that the Dell Axim is the best PDA though, Just been to a mates this weekend and he’s using the HP Ipaq, too much hassle in my opinion :confused: :confused:

I’m using Tom Tom 2.24, and it’s found me some roads I didn’t know existed :laughing: :laughing:

I’m helping out next week with driving a rigid down the west coast so I’ll know just how much better than maps it will be when I get back on Thursday Lol

I may go for the Dell because my laptop is a Dell and it isnt any more expensive than the Ipac!
I look forward to hearing your experience’s

davey you think the ipaq looks complicated wait til you try an xda

Well set off Monday with no Maps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Relying entirely on Sat Nav, out of 11 drops the only ones it could not find was Chapel Street in Petersfield and South Parade in Melton Mowbray.

However, Got to admit it was a breeze to use and very worthwhile, but only because I was in a Rigid :laughing: :laughing: Got to Salisbury and it directed me around back streets and straight outside the door of the shop I wanted on the High Street, now had I been in an Artic then big problems Lol

Overall though a godsend, did’nt need to buy a map or even stop in a service area to look at one, not bad starting from Gateshead to Rhyl, to Smethwick in the Midlands then to Gloucester, Newport, Nailsea nr Bristol, Salisbury, Boscombe in Bournemouth, Southampton, Petersfield Hampshire, Northampton, Melton Mowbray and back to Gateshead.

It tried 4 or 5 times to get me to use 7.5 ton weight limits for Nailsea though, but simply driving past them it automatically recalculated the route until there was a road I could use.

10 out of 10 and definitely worth investing in :laughing:

i used satnav tomtom2 last time i ran to frankfurt germany worked brill not that you need it over there but its handy for the miles you have left to get to your destination as well. never go anywhere without it now Dell Axim works well for me.

Dave

Galaxian:
i used satnav tomtom2 last time i ran to frankfurt germany worked brill not that you need it over there but its handy for the miles you have left to get to your destination as well. never go anywhere without it now Dell Axim works well for me.

Dave

I went to Rheine and Herne in Germany last week, 2 separate trips, but unfortunately did’nt have the Maps for over there :cry: :cry:

I’ve decided I am going to invest in the European Maps though for the sake of £120 or so, it’s gotta be worth it :sunglasses:

i bought a dvd with all the maps for tomtom2 on for a fiver best fiver i ever spent it was original of course :slight_smile: dont think the guy realy knew what he had.

tt3 uk maps now has mojor roads of europe included free

Oi Davey-Driver, you could add another product to your business:
Drivers Hour Guard software for laptop/PDA. Then it would be one less bit of kit cluttering up the cab of you techo-junkies with your fancy kit. :sunglasses:

Lostpup:
Oi Davey-Driver, you could add another product to your business:
Drivers Hour Guard software for laptop/PDA. Then it would be one less bit of kit cluttering up the cab of you techo-junkies with your fancy kit. :sunglasses:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: but the hour guard is smaller than a laptop :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just chuck the laptop away :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp:

it already being discussed i suggested it a couple months ago dont think itll hapen

Just been on the Tomtom website and all it talks about is PDAs. I take it the software isn’t designed for laptops. If any of you use laptops, what is the software of choice. Also been looking at GPS receivers on the well-known auction website and was wondering if it matters which receiver you use with the software.

Any advice would be greatly received - other than chuck the laptop and buy a PDA cos that ain’t gonna happen cos PDAs ain’t as versatile. :wink:

Also, any one used the wi-fi internet connections in MSAs yet?

I’m Sure Tom Tom can also be used on a Laptop, the only difference is the bigger Screen :laughing:

I know my mate was using Navigator on his Laptop until he saw how much better the PDA was not being so ■■■■■■■■■■ and taking up the front seat of the car.

The recievers no problem as long as you get the correct connectors when you buy the reciever, basically using a laptop you just need the USB connector, whereas different PDA’s such as the IPAQ and the Axim have different connection ports.

Cheers for the rundown on your trip Davey!! :smiley:
I must of missed it when you wrote it!

I have looked at a lot of websites and the prices here goes

PDA IPAQ or Axim +TomTom 3 + Receiver with Bluetooth with all cables cheapest = £399 inc VAT

TomTom 3 + receiver “bluetooth” + cables for Own Laptop = £249 inc VAT.

so for a extra £150 they chuck in a £250 PDA so I have decided to go for the PDA version! I need to ask a few questions to the salesman 1st before I spend my hard earned on Tuesday.
Q1 I do multy drop …Can i just imput postcodes/addresses and will it give me the best route?
Q2 Our Yard isnt the safest place how long will it take to set up each day?
Q3 what will I need to run it on 24 V

Thecritic:
Q1 I do multy drop …Can i just imput postcodes/addresses and will it give me the best route?

I just put the address I’m going to into it and it will automatically recalculate from where it’s currently at, so if your at drop 2 just put in where drop 3 is and let it calculate it straight away.

Thecritic:
Q2 Our Yard isnt the safest place how long will it take to set up each day?

Pretty straight forward mine uses CF Card so it goes with the PDA, but if it was not CF it’s just a case of plugging in the Cigarette Lighter plug into the socket and into the PDA and away you go, the reciever can just sit on the Dashboard if you want as long as it gets a clear view of the Sky.

Thecritic:
Q3 what will I need to run it on 24 V

They run off 12v, but I’m using a scania with the 12v Hella socket, so just bought the cigarette lighter socket from maplins and made up a lead with a hella plug on the other end, cost about £1-50 altogether, but if there’s not 12v feed you’ll need a dropper.