Norbert Dentressangle powder tanker job?

Hi all I see ND is advertising for powder tanker drivers UK based and it seems good money. 4 on 2 off 55hr week it says. Possibly West Thurrock based but not sure. Anyone know anything about this…i’ve heard all the bad stuff about them generally but could be just chit chat. If you’re on with this lot or know someone who is would appreciate opinions. Remember hearing a few years ago that they ran out of Stalybridge doing mega hours for low money. Cheers, John.

Any idea what the contract is ?

Don’t know yet going to phone them in morning. The advert says ‘no requirement to spend nights out’ so maybe it’s some sort of double shifting deal. No good to me if it is but worth a try. Their website makes them sound fantastic but who knows. Regret i’m old enough to remember aston clinton and all their ministry woes…

If it’s bulk cement let me know and I’ll give you the low down. Our Tilbury operation is soon to go mental and we seem to be subbing loads out a lot :open_mouth: :open_mouth: since Jan 1st , and Thurrock’s a stone’s throw away :wink:

houndofhell:
Regret i’m old enough to remember aston clinton and all their ministry woes…

Hi houndofhell, I’m old enough to remember Andy Capp Haulage as well :smiley:
Didn’t Nobby Strangler buy them in the end :question:

As I remember ACH they did a lot of Italian and German work, and were always a very tidy-looking fleet.
Those were the days :smiley:

I’m just finishing with your good friends and mine at another depot…used to be on the books with them but left due to wife problem and came back on the agency. Now no funding for promised job back so told them i’m off. Funny old set up but i’m ■■■■ sure I don’t need to tell you that m8. Be interesting to see what happens at Tibury I reckon it’l be dhl :frowning:

Then again dhl offering over 27700 for 48 hours 4 on 4 off at Wellingborough tipping flour so maybe it’d be an ok deal at Tilbury (if i’m right). John.

Dieseldave those were the days when brit firms could make money out of it. Mind you I don’t knock the french if we had more of their balls it might not be the shower of s$$t it is now :imp:

Ok, this is what I know of it.

The ones based at Middlewich and Leigh depots run from a company called Brunner Mond in Northwich, Cheshire.
They carry sodium carbonate (non-hazardous) mainly to glass works in St Helens (Pilkingtons) and others around West and South Yorkshire. Night lads also run down to Proctor & Gamble at Thurrock (although this is mainly kept for the French to get them back to Dover).

Money wise they operate a banked hours system requiring you to work two hundred and odd hours a month before overtime for the hours worked above this. The ones on the Brunner contract also if their shift falls on Christmas / Boxing day work for treble time. I must admit I don’t know the pay.

shade:
If it’s bulk cement let me know and I’ll give you the low down. Our Tilbury operation is soon to go mental and we seem to be subbing loads out a lot :open_mouth: :open_mouth: since Jan 1st , and Thurrock’s a stone’s throw away :wink:

i would,nt have thought it would be bulk cement as they only run tipper tanks, never seen a ND wagon with a belly tank :exclamation:

dave:
never seen a ND wagon with a belly tank :exclamation:

They have them. Mixture of belly and tipper tanks on the Brunner Mond contract. The ones on this contract mainly are sign written in the customers colours but not all.

picture below:

What is the problem with cement in a tipper tank?

What is it like pulling them tanks compared to say a normal curtainsider? Reason I ask as in the last 2 weeks I have seen 2 jobs , 1 for powder cement (do you need adr for this as its highy explosive in dry form?) and one for food stuffs

Is it a whole different kettle of fish to keep watch on ie going round corners etc?

DoYouMeanMe?:
What is the problem with cement in a tipper tank?

there isnt a problem as such using a tipper tank for cement (we used to have them) , but the main reasons they are,nt used for cement is the weight .
a tipper tank is at a guess 1.5 to 3 ton heavier than a belly tank (no chassis) and the cement game is all about tonnage delivered.
also a tipper tank has to be unloaded like any other tipper, ie) tractor and trailer in a straight line, which can be impossible to do in certain yards.also some customers do no allow tipper tanks on there sites .

xlthunter:
What is it like pulling them tanks compared to say a normal curtainsider? Reason I ask as in the last 2 weeks I have seen 2 jobs , 1 for powder cement (do you need adr for this as its highy explosive in dry form?) and one for food stuffs

Is it a whole different kettle of fish to keep watch on ie going round corners etc?

adr is,nt needed for cement and its not explosive. if you breathe it in it can be an irritant and if its wet and gets on your skin it can burn (alkali) . but the main danger is when blowing the load off and a pipe splits etc and you get it in your eyes (i always wear goggles. ive only got one set of eyes :wink: ) but no, its not adr

tipper tanks are a bit top heavy loaded and you drive it as such and belly tanks are a bit better but you still treat em with respect

Reason I asked is because we used them for years at RHS and wondered if some new rule had come into force, but it makes sense if it’s a weight issue.

xlthunter

One thing to watch is some products (for example fly ash), take a while to settle after loading and for the first few miles it is like having liquid in the tank.

xlthunter:
powder cement (do you need adr for this as its highy explosive in dry form?)

The short answer to your question xlthunter is that cement is NOT a substance regulated by ADR.
IF cement were dangerous, then the tankers carrying it would need tanker signs a bit like my avatar. :wink:

As a general rule almost any very fine powder can “explode” (I’m using that word very loosely) but cement powder doesn’t meet ADR’s definition of an explosive.

Dave mentioned that cement is corrosive and he’s spot-on about that.
Again though, cement isn’t corrosive enough to make it into ADR’s dangerous goods list.

I hope this helps :smiley:

i worked for nd in yorkshire but due to a chance of seeing more of me kids i left was doing doors to bnqs all over uk great job never bothered you it was monthly paid salaried 23500 for days 24 quid n/o money all the tags in wagons paid for all your parking and they paid proper overtime rates.think they have just had a payrise too.if things were different i would go back tomorrow.the bloke in charge said if things dont work out let me kmow.they also ask you why your leaving not like some other big companys ive worked for it was quite a shock they bothered to ask :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I know one ND lad parks in Harrogate and another in Ripon they seem to be back of a Friday night and leave on Monday AM - one has Belgium plates and the other UK plates - both have big blowing tanks on.

TRY THIS from eures site

–URES-Berater suchen, UNITED KINGDOM, Vereinigtes Königreich
Kurzbeschreibung
Titel: LGV CLASS 1 DRIVER NIGHT SHIFT
Beschreibung: Duties include collecting and delivering non hazardous product in bulk powder tankers. Previous tanker experience is not necessary as you will benefit from a full training program. A shift rota of 4 night work followed by 2 nights off applies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate strong commitment and the ability to work to high professional standards… If you share our core values of progress, innovation, challenge, quality want to join a growing successful company we would like to hear from you. Today Norbert Dentressangle is the fourth largest transport and logistics company in Europe and a leader in this sector. For more information visit our websitewww.norbert-dentressangle.com. This vacancy is covered by the Working Time Regulations… Pension: No details held.
Geografische Angaben
Land: Vereinigtes Königreich
Region: UNITED KINGDOM
Bezahlung
Minimalgehalt: GBP 11 PER HOUR BASIC, GBP 13 PER HOUR OVERTIME
Währung: Englisches Pfund
Lohnsteuer: brutto
Wochenstunden: 4 ON 2 OFF ROTA
Vertragsart: unbefristet und Vollzeit
Extras
Anforderungen
Berufserfahrung erforderlich: Nicht gefordert
Arbeitgeber
Name: Norbert Dentressangle Tankers
So Bewerben Sie sich
So bewerben Sie sich: You can apply for this job by telephoning +44 1942 266784 and asking for Dominic Barriac.
Bewerbungsschluss: 15/02/2008
Sonstige Informationen
Anzahl freier Stellen: 3
Veröffentlichungsdatum: 16/01/2008
ISCO-Code: 8324
Nationale Referenz: TIL/8903

WHERE it says wochenstunden (DAYS WORKED) 4 on with 2days off

+44 1942 266784 and asking for Dominic Barriac.

thought as much. my old boss from nd birmingham. the man is a midland banker. wondered why drivers are leaving the job at nd. there is the answer. be very aware of him. unless he has changed in the last few years.