MFI gone to Exel

We have ben told today our transport dept is being taken over from july by exel.
Can anybody tell us anything about them please…ie…what they are like to work for etc…we have been given assurances by exel we will continue as we are wages and conditions wise

first of all metalman,welcome to trucknet,where are you based :question: exel seem to have a pretty good set up down in prestwick,with a good fleet of trl’s and units.one of our lads has just moved there after we closed our moorfield depot ( kilmarnock ), i know he would not have taken the job if the company was poor to work for or the money was poor. but i speak to there drivers now and again and they don’t seem to complain apart from the normal complaints that you get out of drivers.if they are prepaired to keep you’s on the wage that your on and the same conditions then i would not bother too much, as long as its in black and white, please bear in mind with this kind of take over they can change things after 1 year.i’v not heard of it being done b4 but they are within there rights to change things. can’t see that happening though.go with the flow if anything it will bring you more work in. :wink:

we are based in runcorn

Metalman1:
we are based in runcorn

ok mate. but seriously i would not worry about it, if your jobs safe it does not matter who you drive for or what colour your truck is. as long as the money is the same. we have been taken over3 times and the money and conditions has improved. :laughing:

Metalman

Welcome to TruckNetUK

When you get taken over you should be given the choice of redundancy or carrying on with exel. If you choose to carry on then you will be covered by the Transfer of Undertakings and Protection of Employment regs (TUPE). This means that they cannot change your terms and conditions or wages without your agreement. This came up recently in the legal section of CM, I’ll check to see if I still have that copy and get back to you with more details.

Jules

I worked for Exel at Sherburn-in-Elmet on the Somerfield contract.

I must say the money was good,but they were keen on things like discipline.For example,if you bumped a vehicle,you got a warning,and depending on the damage dictated the severity of the warning.

Keep an eye on the internal vacancies sheet,because you can transfer if you want to,if your not happy.

One thing they are very keen on is safety in the workplace.Training courses a plenty on everything from tail lift operation,to manual handling,but the only down side to this is,that you sign to say you’ve been trained,and if afterwards you shortcut and end up injured,then they will say you didn’t do it the way you were trained.

And if you aren’t already in one,then join the union.Exel recognise the TGWU for everything,so for the sake of £2-£3 a week,it’s worth it,especially if you need to claim for a work related accident.

Equipment is usually very good and maintained to a high standard if they are replacing anything,so no worries there then,and they don’t question the garage’s report if it’s to come off the road.

You should also get ample uniform including boots,and they’re quite durable.Sherburn went onto polo shirts recently from shirt and tie,so if you have a choice,opt for polo shirts as they are more comfy.

I have to say,all the above related to Sherburn,and it can differ from site to site,but all in all,they’re not too bad to work for,and if I think of anything else,I’ll re-post.

Ken.

Boots O’Lead:
Metalman

Welcome to TruckNetUK

When you get taken over you should be given the choice of redundancy or carrying on with exel. If you choose to carry on then you will be covered by the Transfer of Undertakings and Protection of Employment regs (TUPE). This means that they cannot change your terms and conditions or wages without your agreement. This came up recently in the legal section of CM, I’ll check to see if I still have that copy and get back to you with more details.

Jules

tupe only lasts for 1 year,after that the said company can change the terms of contract,or the employee can still take redundancy. :wink:

Thanks for all your input boys its most appreciated.
Quinny…the guy taking over operations for exel has just come from the sherburn conract a guy called Alan Swinburne,who now becomes our Operations Director.
We had a meeting with them yesterday they seem ok,but will never trust another company ever again.
Have a safe one boys and thanks again

Right then.Alan Swinburne is one of the most decent guys you’ll ever come across,however,he will say one thing and do another,ie: he’ll tell you what you WANT to hear.His door is always open,and I never had a problem with him.I remember the first time we had a workshop discussion,and after the namechecks,he pipes up, ‘My names Alan Swinburne and I must admit I’ve never driven an HGV.’ Got my respect straight away for his honesty.In fact,when I put my notice in last year,it was Alan I gave it to,because he was head of transport at Sherburn,and I wanted the organ grinder to read it first,not the monkey.

He’s a Scot,and as tight as a fishes a…,many a time I tried to get him to get his hand in his pocket for a coffee,but to no avail. :laughing:

He had a sidekick at Sherburn called Paul Eyles,who may or may not follow him.If he does,watch him,as can be two faced,but if you stand up to him,and prove him wrong,he’ll fall like a deck of cards.There was also a rumour that they both batted on the other side,as you nearly always saw them together going off for a ■■■. (Wrong choice of words■■?)

When you meet him,tell him you ‘spoke to me’ and see what he says.

To tell you more would mean I would be on here all day,but if you desire more info,then mail me,or PM me your home phone number,and a time your available,and we’ll have a chinwag.

Finally.You don’t say where the MFI contract is.Let me know as I’m curious. (Or nosey!!!)

Ken Quinn.

as they say

“same [zb] ,diffrent logo on the t shirt” :laughing:

good luck

jon

Hi Metalman,

I used to be at Hygena, Howden a few years back. A mate who is still there as a driver texted me last night to tell me the news. TBH I reckon you’ll be better off with Exel.