Who got stuck in the snow?

Was enroute from Birmingham fruit market to Iceland Swindon late last night. Decided to run down the M5 to J11A and then up and across the A417. Got past the M42 junction and then the heaven’s opened :open_mouth: 50yds viz in heavy snow :astonished: Plodded on and got to J11A where I came off and then was going to park up at the bottom of the hill until the morning but after seeing some lights in front of me disappear up the hill I thought I’d go too :stuck_out_tongue:

Now of course you’re all thinking that I got stuck trying to get up the hill but you’re wrong :laughing: , I made it okay (jussssst) up to the roundabout (what’s the hill called, it’s slipped my memory ?) and then double backed on myself up the next half to the summit. Well, there were cars everywhere, sliding about revving their bollox off in 1st gear going nowhere :unamused: I made a brave decision to get past them along the untouched strip of snow up the middle of the road as I had the momentum, so knocked it up half a cog to get the revs down and dived into the snow and jusssssssst managed to make it :sunglasses: :exclamation:

Only problem was, when I got to the top of the hill there were cars stacked up queueing for miles and after sitting behind them doing a totally unnecessary tortoise-like speed for half a mile I got bored and ditched it in the lay-by on the right hand side just before the Nettleton village sign.

Woke up this morning and it was pitch black at 9am :open_mouth: :open_mouth: What’s going on :question: :question: Then I realised that all my windows were covered in snow :laughing: Opened the door to get out and 3 tonne of snow fell on my head off the roof :angry: :angry: :exclamation: which soon woke me up proper. Had a nightmare trying to get out of the lay-by :open_mouth: but managed it eventually and made my way at a steady pace into Swindon.

Who else has a snow story to tell then :laughing: :question: :exclamation:

Rob K:
(what’s the hill called, it’s slipped my memory ?) :

Birdlip, and the pub on the roundabout is called the Air Ballon.

Next time, open and close the door a couple of times. :laughing:

it snow joke when that happens rob eh…hehehe

I think its called Birdlip Hill Rob, sounds like you parked in the worst place you could have found according to the weather news. Theu had it bad in them parts today. I remember when I was in Czech and went in through Eastern Germany, as normal there was a long queue but this time it seemed worse, I decided to call it a day and try to get through next day, :astonished:

Same feeling when I woke up after spending ages trying to open window for breakfast woodbine. I had wound window down ok but there was an extra pane of ice blocking my view. It was the coldest night ever according to the border guards and it took another 5 hours to drive 500 yards

Couple of years back, I got stuck in the snow on the A1 going up to Scotland. This was during the day. I was OK, night heater was working fine, ran the engine every hour, then the Police came along and pulled us all out of our vehicles and took us to a pub, miserable buggers didn’t even buy us a pint, LOL. The Pub staff served up a bowl of Broth and a lump of bread each, plus a cuppa, then refused point blank to accept payment, just asked us to pop in for a drink sometime.
Then the police and some locals with 4x4’s took us back to our vehicles and a farmer and his tractor pulled us out on to the snow plough cleared lane and got us on our way.
Totally well organised, cheerful, and we were all thankful for their assistance.

snow what snow

wot snow :smiley: :smiley:

went to glasgow and back today.

nice day out with two drops and 2.30 finish :grimacing: :grimacing:

What snow?

There was a 20 car pile up last night at the bottom of birdlip hill :open_mouth:

Edit: no it was a lorry overturned, and about 40 cars had “shunts”
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/glou … 506670.stm

no snow up here in gods country :laughing: :laughing:

Came off M42 J4 at about 8am snowing badly heading into Shirley, stopped at traffic lights were 2 cars skidded past :unamused: waiting at roundabout further up and Bang Skoda straight into back of me, rear end was fine which is more than can be said for the skoda :open_mouth:

Went out on motorbike for a few hours, doh, I left parking lights on, it snowed, it didn’t start, you think riding a motorbike in snow is bad, then try pushing the ********

My girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pictures of her and her new boyfriend in bed together. Solution?? I sent them to her dad.

Rob K:
Was enroute from Birmingham fruit market to Iceland Swindon late last night. Decided to run down the M5 to J11A and then up and across the A417. Got past the M42 junction and then the heaven’s opened :open_mouth: 50yds viz in heavy snow :astonished: Plodded on and got to J11A where I came off and then was going to park up at the bottom of the hill until the morning but after seeing some lights in front of me disappear up the hill I thought I’d go too :stuck_out_tongue:

Now of course you’re all thinking that I got stuck trying to get up the hill but you’re wrong :laughing: , I made it okay (jussssst) up to the roundabout (what’s the hill called, it’s slipped my memory ?) and then double backed on myself up the next half to the summit. Well, there were cars everywhere, sliding about revving their [zb] off in 1st gear going nowhere :unamused: I made a brave decision to get past them along the untouched strip of snow up the middle of the road as I had the momentum, so knocked it up half a cog to get the revs down and dived into the snow and jusssssssst managed to make it :sunglasses: :exclamation:

Only problem was, when I got to the top of the hill there were cars stacked up queueing for miles and after sitting behind them doing a totally unnecessary tortoise-like speed for half a mile I got bored and ditched it in the lay-by on the right hand side just before the Nettleton village sign.

Woke up this morning and it was pitch black at 9am :open_mouth: :open_mouth: What’s going on :question: :question: Then I realised that all my windows were covered in snow :laughing: Opened the door to get out and 3 tonne of snow fell on my head off the roof :angry: :angry: :exclamation: which soon woke me up proper. Had a nightmare trying to get out of the lay-by :open_mouth: but managed it eventually and made my way at a steady pace into Swindon.

Who else has a snow story to tell then :laughing: :question: :exclamation:

didn’t mean to quote all that… bugger… will get the hang of this, please bare wid me… mate was telling me today that there was a 20 car pile up somewhere near or at the bottom of birdlip… you was lucky to get up it as they closed it off too! would have ment going down the m5 and on the m4… long way round but perhpas the safest considering the conditions.

I haven’t had the experience of driving in the snow yet, not unless ya count a 20 second burst in doncaster when i was sat on a bay waiting to be tipped… hhhhmmmmmmmmmm

smiles

arh well

sorry should have read all the posts before replying… gunna dy my hair blonde and call myself pamela… (as in pamela anderson)

((no offense meant to any other blondes called pam))

(((grabs the shuvvle and digs a tad deaper just for the fun of it)))

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . :blush:

tigz is this the story your on about

road closed after lorry overturns

jon

jonboy:
tigz is this the story your on about

road closed after lorry overturns

jon

sctaches her blond locks… smiles… (cracks up) yeah that’s the one… i’ll go and crawl back under me stone… laffs