Weight limits London bridges

Unfortunatly ive got an 08:00am tip in Chelsea Monday morning on the Embankment :cry: i havent decided yet which way to go, but was thinking of coming in from the south side, so, does anyone know the weight limits for the surrounding bridges, Vauxhall is looking favourite, then Chelsea bridge, Albert bridge Lambeth, Westminster and Wanstead bridges. I will be running at 44 tons. cheers.

I used to always use the Vauxhall bridge when tipping near the Ele and Cas and also doing the fruit market, but that was coming in from the M4. There’s no weight restriction on the Vauxhall bridge as far as I recall.

Watch your height on the embankment, there’s a 14’8 or 14’9 chuffer bridge about half way along there. :bulb:

I think Albert and Chelsea are no go but can’t be sure. Might be better to cross on Vauxhall on the ring road staying out of the zone and doing a left for Chelsea

Someone who lived in London for 45 years and knows that area answers…

Vauxhall and Chelsea are no problem.Albert is an absolute no no!!! Weight and width restrictions cos its falling down lol Never heard of Wanstead Bridge unless you mean Wandsworth?? That one is ok too.
Trying to second guess your ‘coming in from the south side to Chelsea Embankment’ remark. … coming from Clapham Common towards Chelsea Bridge, there is a bus lane the whole length of that route so its single lane until you cross Chelsea Bridge. If you’re coming from the A2 area then use Vauxhall and turn onto the Embankment. Lambeth is ok as is Westminster. Waterloo is ok. Putney is ok. Hammersmith is a no no but Chiswick ok. Can’t think of any other bridges that you would need advice on for this run.
So the only ones you CANNOT use are Albert and Hammersmith

Kindle, as an afterthought, I see you are based in Norfolk?? Is that where you’re coming from??
To be honest, mate, I would leave half an hour earlier (about 4am) … down the M11 to the bottom, turn onto the North Circular eastwards down to the A13. Then onto the A13 heading into London but go through the Limehouse Link and along the Highway to the end. Past the Tower of London and onto Victoria Embankment to the end and turn right and then left past the Houses of Parliament. Along Millbank and follow the river for about 4 mile till you hit Chelsea Embankment. Only worth going this way if you are scooting through before 7am cos of A) congestion charge and B) traffic

Do well, thanks for the replys, much appreciated.
I only asked about all those bridges in case there was a limit on the Vauxhall bridge. No problem with the height rob, im running at 13"6. Will decide in the morning when i pick the trailer up what way to go, but i reckon i will be doing what you say bear, coming in from Blackwall and A2 way and over Vauxhall bridge. Im delivering to the Royal Hospital Chelsea, which after a look on tinternet is where the Chelsea Pensioners are and also where the flower show is held. Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers bear, i"ll have a look at that option as well, it was the first option i thought of, but didnt know about restrictions and weight limits.
ive got to to go to Felixstowe first to get trailer, so was thinking of going down A12, round the 25 to M11, (allways go that way, a lot easier than going thru all them traffic lights on A12, especially if youre heavy)A406 down to the A12 throu Blackwall and in from that way. Was planning on leaving Felixstowe at around 4.30-5am.
Congestion charge not a problem, as i told the office on Friday where i was going and they booked it on tinternet there and then.

Go down the A12 to the M25 and either go M11 or A13 it’s swings and roundabouts really. Take the A13 through to Canning Town flyover and keep to the middle lane for the East India Dock Tunnel and then Limehouse LInk (30mph with several cameras) follow the Highway and advice as above.

Blackwall Tunnel has tidal flow operation meaning 3 lanes heading North, 1 South in the morning and can be sticky. Once through the tunnel its dual carriageway up to the point where you trun right for the A2. It is then a slow drag in through Deptford and New Cross and doesn’t get much better. Then you’d have to cross back over. It’s too much of a ballache to be viable.

From home in Chelmsford or work in Harlow I’d go this way as there are no nasty surprises and it is a fairly decent straightforward route.

Thanks 8wheels, i havent been to London since the limehouse link was being built, didnt know about the tidal flow at Blackwall either.

If you could give the full name of that hospital it would help.I mean,the Flower Show is on the embankment but I don`t know any hospitals there…?

harry, i havent got the delivery notes yet as the trailer isnt arriving in Felixstowe tonight, but the text i got sent from Holland says… Royal Hospital Gardens, Bullring Gate, off Chelsea Embankment London SW3 4SR.

harry:
If you could give the full name of that hospital it would help

kindle530:
Im delivering to the Royal Hospital Chelsea

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

The Chelsea Flower Show is held in the grounds of the Royal Hospital.

Kindle, the Royal Hospital is immediately by Chelsea Bridge!!! If you are coming from Vauxhall direction, then as you go past the lights at Chelsea Bridge, then the grounds are on your right! About 500 yards down on the right hand side are the gates you want … in a cut out hence the ‘Bull Ring’ name :slight_smile:

You can’t miss the Hospital once you get to Chelsea Bridge. It is immense. I would love to go there just to chat to all the Old Boys in there!!

Thanks bear, maybe if its going to be a long job(havent got a clue what im delivering till i get trailer in the morning), i may get to have a natter!

Ive seen the Gardens but I didnt think it was the entrance to the Hospital ? But in this case Bull Ring Gate seems it is. Anyway,you are probably in amongst the muck & the bullets at the moment so watch out for the lurkers on the N/S front as battle your way through dear old London Town.
( Just seen . The address is just the Gardens. )

Just seen this so a bit late for Kindle there is a 17/18 tonne limit on chelsea bridge for future reference… :wink:

I seem to remember length restrictions spread liberally about. I used to take trailers from FX to Covent Garden & the only legal way for that part of London was M25, M4 all the way to Hyde Park Corner hang a right ,thru Victoria & over Vauxhall Bridge. I suppose that it was a night-time truck ban. But getting tangled up on the daytime traffic on the South -Side is not my idea of fun…To be there at 0800 Kindle must have left FX before 0400. It sounds like a crane job.

tartanraider There was always a bit of a limit on Chelsea bridge. I used to use it all the time with foriegn plates . I used Davis Turners place on Queentown to park up for weekends .Nip round to Victoria bus station & home.

Thanks for all the info and advice, i went in the way i knew in the end, left Felixstowe around 4.40am, arrived on site at 07.50am, Blackwall, A2, A202 past the Oval and over Vauxhall Bridge, the main problem i had with the job, was finding the right entrance, so big thank you to the bear there. Left off Vauxhall Bridge, past Chelsea Bridge , around 100yds further up is what is basically a turning circle for buses, that was my entrance… had around 5mm to play with either side of my mirrors to get into the place. I had metal decking on for the marquees, tipped out the sides not the roof, was in and out in just over an hour, had to wait for a Dutchman to get tipped first.
I asked the security bloke what the event was and he said the Decorex Exhibition, some furniture and antique do, lasts around 4 days.
Just hope i havent got to go back there and pick the stuff up i delivered when theyre finished. :laughing: Reloaded Romford from there, so a trip on the Woolwich Ferry for that.

I passed it a couple of days later it was a fair old size that marquee!