Vehicles - Security of Fuel and Drivers

Reading the thread on Diesel Scroungers and following on from what we have heard about gas attacks whilst sleeping, has made me start to think (always dangerous :open_mouth: ) about security devices.

With fuel, there is always the dilemma, lock the fuel cap and risk having the tank ‘holed’ or leave the cap unlocked and just lose a few gallon. :imp:

Cab security is another matter, and whilst many might recommend the use of straps across the doors, how easy would these be the release in the case of fire. :question:

So what about an electronic solution? Looking on the RS site infra-red emitters and detectors are now so small and reliable (and cheap :slight_smile: ) that it should be a fairly simple matter to assemble a system with the emitter in a housing clamped to the rear mounting strap of the tank and the detector mounted on the rear of the cab. Break the signal, either physically, or by cutting the wires, and the control unit is triggered.

The control unit need only be a couple of relays and an NE 555 IC timer linked into the vehicle’s lighting and horn system, and the whole lot would go off like a musical Xmas tree.

Take another feed to the control unit from the courtesy light switches, and anyone forcing a door would similarly become the centre of attention. :slight_smile: The actual components would be quite cheap. It is the housings and the fitting that would prove to be the costly items.

Is anything like this already on the market, and if they were to be available, how many would like them fitted on their vehicles?

Health and Safety regulations require employers to assess the working environment of their employees and take reasonable steps to ensure their safety.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: @ Allicats last para’

Seriously tho’, if it was available, at the right price, I would be interested.

it’s seeing remarks like this that remind me why I left the UK. People think that the USA is crime ridden but it’s nothing compared to back there. I have never stopped my truck anywhere and left it unattended having to lock it, I can walk away leaving the doors unlocked and the engine running, sometimes for hours, I return to find it all in tact. No one steals fuel, no body gets in your cab during your absence and takes you TV or phone. I don’t lock my car here and havn’t locked our front door in years. When I fly to England next month I will leave all open and not worry.

Simon:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: @ Allicats last para’

Seriously tho’, if it was available, at the right price, I would be interested.

Huh? WHat I do this timeâ– â– ? :open_mouth: :question: :question:

:confused: Regarding driver security, have you ever heard of ProtekDor? When I had my own Actros, the first thing I bought for it was their door security kit. The point is that when it is in place it is HIGHLY VISIBLE and immediately suggests to the tea leaf that his time is better spent elsewhere, and not even bother wasting his gas on you.
The fuel thing is another situation entirely. I cannot see an end to it. If you make a tank that cannot be holed, then attention will be given to fuel pickup and filler cap. If these were made thief proof, which I cannot see happening, they would attack something else. It really boils down to the MSAs and similar earning the money they charge for parking…or paying restitution when damage occurs on their property :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: