Police - speed - now tell me it's not about money!

on thursday I was going northbound on the A12 and as you get to Hatfield Peveral you have to make you way from lane one to lane two as the road narrows from tree lanes to two with lane one becoming the slip road for Hatfield Peveral.

I had got into lane two and there was a german rig indicating to pull into lane two so I checked my mirror to make sure nobody was about to pull into lane two from lane three and flashed him in.We along with others on the same stretch of road carry on for about 200 metres and then a woman in a merc decides “I should be getting off here” and swerves in front of the german at the last minute causing him to swerve left and myself and probably a good few people behind me to brake “very firmly” whilst the said german was giving it a good bit of air horn & headlight.

What has this to do with the police I hear you ask, Well there was a police officer sitting in the layby which is about one third of the way down the slip road with his camera out, as I came level with him I tooted my air horn and pointed at the woman in the merc the held my arms out in an expression of “what are you going to do about that” he looked directly at me and shrugged his shoulders and then resumed lokking down the sights of his laser gun.

Could this be an example of the police going for the “easy” conviction ie a speeding ticket which at the side of the road is pretty much straight forward just form filling for all involved rather than trying to get a conviction for “driving without due” care which will inevitably involve a court case and witneeses (said police officer) being called (so spending valuable time in court when he could be prosecuting more speeders)

sounds like the police have read your signature :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

I would have been tempted to go and ask him,politely,if he intended to do anything about it,while carefully noting his badge number,and then making a phone call to his superior. :angry:

Ken.

Now they are talking about increasing thier profit before cutting off yopur licence.
If cutting the number of points for speeding is not all about the profit they can make in doing so then what. They should call them uniformed members of the Inland Revenue, it would be far more honest than the present situation.

well thats essex police for you in the local paper tonight theres a article that essex police have bought 3 mercades vans for crime survalliance and on the front of the vans there are the words ( caught on cctv) so 3 more speed trap vans :imp: :imp:

Benson, they may well be area surveillance video vans, for working in various crime areas, but not necessarily speed cameras.
A lot of forces are getting these vans for footie crowds and anti vandal work and the like.