Other Work Mode

Having just started a new job I’ve been told something which I’m not altogether too sure about regarding tachos. Part of my job involves running from one depot to another swapping onto a loaded trailer then running loaded trailer back. No problem I thought, having done the run a few times from ard to yard takes 2 hrs 11 mins roughly. Now due to the time I thought I would be ok to swap trailers and run back straight away no need for a break and as I’m on job and finish didn’t want to take a break. However one of the older drivers collared me other day as I was finishing and he was starting asking me how I’d managed to finish so early. So I explained to him that I hadn’t need a break. He then went on to tell me that I did need a break as when I was changing trailers and my mode was set to other work, because the other work was for less than 10 minutes he said that it would count as driving time. Basically he was saying that when I was coupling up this would count as driving time pushing me over 4 hrs 30 and thus needing a break on way back. IS this true or just an urban myth?

Thanks in advance

urban myth :grimacing:

Irlamsdriver:
because the other work was for less than 10 minutes he said that it would count as driving time.

Bullocks!!

Driving time is EXACTLY that…DRIVING!!!

Thankyou both for your quick replies. Just took advice from an old hand that was all and did it his way till I had time to check it out properly. Don’t relish telling him he’s wrong so been a yellow belly I won’t.

Thanks again

I think you’ll find what is really behind him saying that is that when he does the job he does it nice and steady, taking a nice long break and then driving back nice and steady, have a potter about in the yard, talk to a few people etc, spin it out (job & finish or not) so when someone like yourself is doing it in lightning speed he’s probably worried that one day the gaffer will collar him and ask him why he’s taken so long as you can do it in half the time. There’s a lot of that that goes on in this job.

If you’re driving time is less than 4.5 hours then you don’t have to take a break, simple as that.

Thanx again for another reply. Whilst it might sound unsociable I prefer to spend time at home and been salaried I’d prefer to get job done. Not saying its everyones cup of tea but why waste another 45 minutes■■? Nah home for me James and don’t spare the horses. If I was hourly aid then its another matter.

Thanx.

When I was on dock work picking up and dropping off trailers all the work on the docks was on “other duties” and did not count.

As someone else has said driving is only driving not doing anything else.

this post might be of some use

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=