Towing wide loads with 3.5T van

Hi
This .gov link stats that The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.
gov.uk/towing-with-car/weig … dth-limits
Is there anyway to go beyond it with permits or wide load plates?

I know 7.5T HIAB lorries have been upgraded to 8T
Is there a way I can upgrade a 3.5T tansit van?
Thanks

2.55 metres is the width of a fridge trailer.
Anything and everything beyond that, no matter what the vehicle type is operating under those rules governing such things, mobile cranes, indivisible loads, lowloaders etc .
What is it you’re trying to do? Shifting a wide load on a flat, or build an out of gauge trailer?
(Up to 305mm overhang on each side of a 2.5m trailer may well be ok) Tell us your problem.

Yes confused. You seem to be asking about width and then example a change of weight!!
The 305mm overhang is a max in addition to the 2.55m, so the overall width can’t exceed 2.9m n which case it goes to permits.

Franglais:
2.55 metres is the width of a fridge trailer.
Anything and everything beyond that, no matter what the vehicle type is operating under those rules governing such things, mobile cranes, indivisible loads, lowloaders etc .
What is it you’re trying to do? Shifting a wide load on a flat, or build an out of gauge trailer?
(Up to 305mm overhang on each side of a 2.5m trailer may well be ok) Tell us your problem.

Not quite right ,fridge bodies can be built up to 2.6 m wide :wink:

DuckDuck:
Hi
This .gov link stats that The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.
gov.uk/towing-with-car/weig … dth-limits
Is there anyway to go beyond it with permits or wide load plates?

I know 7.5T HIAB lorries have been upgraded to 8T
Is there a way I can upgrade a 3.5T tansit van?
Thanks

Of course there is, my mate was pulling a 14ft wide pre-fab house yesterday.

Same rules that apply to moving wide loads on a lorry apply to moving wide loads on a car or van.

You don’t need to upgrade anything, just make sure you comply with the regs for abnormal loads, that yuou have the correct markers and warning lights if needed, a second man and/or ■■■■■■ vehicle if needed and notify and get permission from the relative authorities if it’s required. Also be aware that certain parts of the road network, such as the M60 around Manchester, have restrictions on the times you’re allowed to use them with an abnormal load.

Franglais:

I would like to have an 9 feet wide (and light weight too!) porter cabin sat on a trailer that will be towed by a transit van. This is a mobile catering outfit you see and the porter cabin is for people to sit eat and drink

It will be parked up in the same place most or all of the time. But for such relevant licences to be granted from the licensing department they will want to see it fully legal. So not just some over weight over sized cabin dumped onto a trailer just to get around planning regs

I think that the highway agencies are an authorized personal. So they to will be contacted to see if they have any objections as to the licence being granted. Apparently you are not allowed to park on any pavement what so ever

Thanks

Conor:

DuckDuck:
Same rules that apply to moving wide loads on a lorry apply to moving wide loads on a car or van.

You don’t need to upgrade anything, just make sure you comply with the regs for abnormal loads, .

I did an internet search and could not find anything. Do you have any links to this please?

DuckDuck:

Conor:

DuckDuck:

You don’t need to upgrade anything, just make sure you comply with the regs for abnormal loads, .

I did an internet search and could not find anything. Do you have any links to this please?

Did you put abnormal loads uk into Google?

gov.uk/esdal-and-abnormal-loads
gov.uk/government/collectio … d-guidance
gov.uk/register-with-esdal

mrginge:

No I did not! I used the word “wide”
But I am confused; as in the above link it quotes that an abdominal load is over a width of more than 2.9 metres
But on the first link I posted in the opening post it says a maximum of 2.55M. So what it this classed as in between then? Since the porter cabin is 9 feet wide and fits in between this

DuckDuck:

mrginge:

No I did not! I used the word “wide”
But I am confused; as in the above link it quotes that an abdominal load is over a width of more than 2.9 metres
But on the first link I posted in the opening post it says a maximum of 2.55M. So what it this classed as in between then? Since the porter cabin is 9 feet wide and fits in between this

9 feet is 2.75m.
So this is too wide to be a (normsl) vehicle.
It is indivisible so can be carried on a vehicle that itself is inside the 2.55m limit if it overhangs it.
It is less than a 2.9m Abnormal Load.
As I see it, load and carry it with no special documents, notifications etc.
Paint those red/white marks on the corners to please even the most finickity officials.
If you weld the cabin onto a trailer it is illegal. If it is a load, not a vehicle you can carry it fine.
Happy if someone corrects any of that?

Well there is the issue of tacographs to think about.

Franglais:
Since the porter cabin is 9 feet wide and fits in between this 9 feet is 2.75m.
It is indivisible so can be carried on a vehicle that itself is inside the 2.55m limit if it overhangs it.
It is less than a 2.9m Abnormal Load

Paint those red/white marks on the corners to please even the most finickity officials.

Do you have any link/ referance to this please stating the regs on loads between 2.55M-2.9M
Or regs regarding over hangs or what ever the proper term for it is?

Franglais:
If you weld the cabin onto a trailer it is illegal. If it is a load, not a vehicle you can carry it fine.

Why?

weeto:

But the weight is under 3.5T

DuckDuck:

Franglais:
Since the porter cabin is 9 feet wide and fits in between this 9 feet is 2.75m.
It is less than a 2.9m Abnormal Load

Do you have any link/ referance to this please stating the regs on loads between 2.55M-2.9M
Or regs regarding over hangs or what ever the proper term for it is?

Franglais:

Why?

Regs on overhangs
gov.uk/government/publicati … ging-loads
Under 305cm each side, no notices, permissions, necessary.
Why is it illegal if welded on?
You already noted that 2.55m is the max normal legal vehicle width. If it’s welded it is part of the vehicle.

Franglais:
Regs on overhangs
Under 305cm each side, no notices, permissions, necessary…

So the likely hod is that my cabin being 9 feet wide on a 6 feet wide trailer will fall under this one

Over 305mm lateral projection on either side Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4), Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3), Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.

Do you know anything about the parking aspects to it (since most of its life will be spent parked up on the road side)

Franglais:
You already noted that 2.55m is the max normal legal vehicle width. If it’s welded it is part of the vehicle.

I see!
So how do you think it will work with static caravans that are 9 feet wide too?
As a quick duck duck dose not reveal an answer
duckduckgo.com/?q=towing+a+stat … 1-1&ia=web

I wonder if that would include bolted as well. Strapped one would presume not, but there has to be some kind of border line hear

DuckDuck:

Franglais:
Regs on overhangs
Under 305cm each side, no notices, permissions, necessary…

So the likely hod is that my cabin being 9 feet wide on a 6 feet wide trailer will fall under this one

Over 305mm lateral projection on either side Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4), Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3), Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.

Do you know anything about the parking aspects to it (since most of its life will be spent parked up on the road side)

Franglais:

I see!
So how do you think it will work with static caravans that are 9 feet wide too?
As a quick duck duck dose not reveal an answer
duckduckgo.com/?q=towing+a+stat … 1-1&ia=web

I wonder if that would include bolted as well. Strapped one would presume not, but there has to be some kind of border line hear

A static caravan is…static…it isn’t designed nor allowed on the public roads. They are carried on road legal trailers.
Welds against nuts and bolts, or straps?
I’ve carried a load secured to the trailer using a welded on post. So, maybe you could argue something in court…but do you want to? There is a line, as you say.
Why not let someone with money find out where it is drawn? Just use straps.

Franglais:
A static caravan is…static…it isn’t designed nor allowed on the public roads. They are carried on road legal trailers.
Welds against nuts and bolts, or straps?
I’ve carried a load secured to the trailer using a welded on post. So, maybe you could argue something in court…but do you want to? There is a line, as you say.
Why not let someone with money find out where it is drawn? Just use straps.

You see this is not really a haulage job it is a mobile catering outfit where said porter cabin/ caravan would be parked up most of its life
But if it is not road legal then I am fairly certain that a street traders licence from the council will not be granted! As I am sure the highways agency are notified and invited to bring along any objections while the licence is being processed.

In the autum fall you will see lot of old static caravans being sold at auction on ebay for 99p, because they have to pay someone to tow it away

That a lot nicer and cheaper then investing in a porter cabin; if there was just some way of remounting it somehow■■?

Do your porters know you are relocating their home?

DuckDuck:

weeto:

It’s a 3.5 tonne gross van, and he wants to tow a trailer with a porta cabin on it which will put him over 3.5 tonnes gross weight, and is for commercial gain, so a tachograph will have to be fitted.

DuckDuck:

weeto:

I think your forgetting about the trailer and cabin GTW GOOGLE THAT