Driving assessment whilst in a job

Got a driving assessment lined up. Problem is I’ll likely be qt work. Can just throw a sickie no probs but it’s going to show up on my card.

Any ideas?

A decent company looking for staff would not be impressed by someone throwing a sickie to attend an assessment, if it came to light where i work almost certainly any job offer would be withdrawn.

Its going to show up on your card anyway so might as well ask for a days holiday to attend, might trigger a response and offer in your favour if the company you work for presently don’t want to lose you.

Can you work it in as a 6th shift for weekly limits? I had a similar situation but managed to get assessed on BH mon.

Flip side of declaring to your existing work might be if they block the holiday day request to be awkward, though that wouldn’t be smart by them.

I work Monday to Friday and I’d bet any assessment or interview will be on a weekday day.

Juddian I am.just a number therefore unlikely to be worthy if any privelege offer.

This old chestnut again. A company cannot unreasonably stop you from attending another job interview nor can they discriminate against you for going for a job interview.

Simply tell them you need the day off to go for an interview. You may need to take it as holiday or unpaid.

If your going for an interview your not planning on staying around with them so it’s unlikely to be a long term thing staying working for them.

As long as you comply with any daily or weekly rest periods it isn’t an issue.

I met one guy at an job interview/assessment who turned up in the company truck of his then current employer, pulled his card, stuck it in the tacho and went out on the assessment, then afterwards went back to his day job

toonsy:
Got a driving assessment lined up. Problem is I’ll likely be qt work. Can just throw a sickie no probs but it’s going to show up on my card.

Any ideas?

There’s no way of preventing that, however the company you work for may not spot this as many only look closely at the tachograph analysis if there is an infringement flagged. Personally I would just book a day off for unspecified reasons and if they do later query why you were driving another vehicle on that day, say “I had a driving assessment for another job”. If you pass the assessment and get the gig it won’t matter anyway and if you don’t get the job it will force your current employer to consider why you are looking to leave.

toonsy:
Juddian I am.just a number therefore unlikely to be worthy if any privelege offer.

You ain’t alone in feeling that Toonsy.
Pointy shoed managers complain about lack of quality recruits, driver shortfall etc, to call them obtuse might be a slight understatement, maybe if they had a bloody good think or maybe a good long look in the sodding mirror they might just fathom why the industry is in its present state.

Why do so many drivers think that the fact they are looking for another job needs to be kept secret from their current employer? In pretty much any other walk of life, career advancement is a normal thing to do - expected and even encouraged.

It’s the potential fallout from it I think. Like I don’t want to burn any bridges before I’m on the other side of you like.

I’ve actually got a couple of potentially good numbers lined up - one as an instructor wearing a clown uniform :laughing: and another at one of those “dead man shoes” kind of places. Of course the answer is there in that both opportunities are good ones, but likewise it feels like cheating on my current place if you get me :laughing:

Mind you I don’t know why I’m bothered. Kinaxia certainly don’t give a toss about drivers so god knows why I still give a toss in return

toonsy:

Any ideas?

Have a days holiday! Do not do it on a sickie.

You are free to do whatever you please on a days holiday, be it take the kids to the beach or go for a driving assessment but not on a sick day.

If you work a corporate shower of sh___ then expect questions as to where and when and how it affects your WTD. Make sure you have got the correct answers and you have had sufficient rest periods before and after the assessment.

They may see their arse about you deceiving them but any new driver coming to them for an assessment needs to have a day off and present a tacho card. Unfortunately its a vicious circle.

I can’t see what the problem is, they employ you they don’t own you :bulb: ,
‘‘Cheating on them’’? :laughing: …If it’s a shower of ■■■■ type firm, then who cares if they are ‘offended’,.they will sure as hell be used to drivers jacking as these type of firms usually have a high driver turnover…for good reason.
I’d book a day’s hol,.AND I would tell them why if it was me.

i did hear its out of scope as your not being paid and its ire n reward i might be wrong

Just go to the assessment and say you lost the card and have contacted dvla then two print outs or do this visa versa in your current company

Please note toss your old card in the bin and ring them up though

TruckDriverBen:
Just go to the assessment and say you lost the card and have contacted dvla then two print outs or do this visa versa in your current company

Why on earth would you want to pay £32 just to go on an assessment?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

TruckDriverBen:

Why on earth would you want to pay £32 just to go on an assessment?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Coz the new job pays so well that’s just an hours pay

Roymondo:
Why do so many drivers think that the fact they are looking for another job needs to be kept secret from their current employer? In pretty much any other walk of life, career advancement is a normal thing to do - expected and even encouraged.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this.
If it was me I’d book a days holiday and I would also be upfront with my present employer and explain that I am having a job interview that includes a driving assessment. This will pre-empt any questions your employer may have as well as making your feelings known.

TruckDriverBen:

:open_mouth: Seriously??
You would actually do that?? :open_mouth:
Heard it all now. :laughing:
:unamused:

:bulb: A driver could MISLAY their card then find it again shortly afterwards :wink: but whether a company would allow an assessment to go ahead with the actual card is another issue :unamused:

ROG:
:idea: A driver could MISLAY their card then find it again shortly afterwards :wink: but whether a company would allow an assessment to go ahead with the actual card is another issue :unamused:

Possible, but:
What would a prospective employer think of a candidate who seemingly can`t look after their own Driver Card, I wonder? Would they seem the type of person to be trusted with a truck and load, keys, paperwork etc?
It is one around it, but better to be up front I reckon.
If the current employer is the sort to be vindictive when notice is handed in, bad runs, niggles, whatever, then call it constructive dismissal and walk out. No need to serve notice.

Dont expect to go back if the new job dont go to plan though! :smiley: