Advice needed Fridge trailers

On Fridge trailers, Do i open doors and strap pallets near the door, or leave it.

crush99:
On Fridge trailers, Do i open doors and strap pallets near the door, or leave it.

Low pallets leave it, pallets tall enough that can be secured with bars, secure them, unless you want to take the risk of the goods landing on ya head when you open the doors at the delivery point.

crush99:

What sort of load is it? Usually you’ll have bars and cups for the rails in a fridge trailer. If the pallet contents at the back are tall or wobbly then you put a set of bars and cups on the top and bottom rail to stop them from falling backwards when you set off. I’ve never had a fridge with straps in 25 years. If you have spring-loaded poles you can use those either floor to ceiling behind each pallet or sideways across the trailer.
If the load is on dollies don’t use spring-loaded bars as it won’t hold them, you’ll need to use bars and cups about every 4 rows.
If you’re tipping on a bay, make sure they put your bars and cups in the back of the trailer before you leave. :exclamation:

If you’re going to use straps on a fridge you need to be able to get up the side of the pallets to put the straps in place, if you just put the straps straight across the back you will pull the securing rail away from the side of the fridge. Gas bars or bars that fit the built in securing rails are the best way with a fridge

DCPCFML:

crush99:

What sort of load is it? Usually you’ll have bars and cups for the rails in a fridge trailer. If the pallet contents at the back are tall or wobbly then you put a set of bars and cups on the top and bottom rail to stop them from falling backwards when you set off. I’ve never had a fridge with straps in 25 years. If you have spring-loaded poles you can use those either floor to ceiling behind each pallet or sideways across the trailer.
If the load is on dollies don’t use spring-loaded bars as it won’t hold them, you’ll need to use bars and cups about every 4 rows.
If you’re tipping on a bay, make sure they put your bars and cups in the back of the trailer before you leave. :exclamation:

Never done fridges and purly out of interest, do you dismantle the load bars yourself before tipping or is that done by warehouse staff?

msgyorkie:

DCPCFML:

crush99:

Never done fridges and purly out of interest, do you dismantle the load bars yourself before tipping or is that done by warehouse staff?

Depends on the load and the bay, if the load is stable and not right to the back doors I’ll take the bars out myself and place them at the back of the trailer, top tip put them so that when you’re on the bay they are under the trailer that way the guy who gets tipped before you on the next bay won’t be tempted to nick them while you’re in the waiting room, if the load is to the back doors I’ll leave them in place for the warehouse staff to take out.
On a steep bay leave them in, watched an Italian driver in Holland take them out before reversing down onto a bay, on his shunt forward to get straight about 3 pallets of tomato’s made an early exit from the trailer :astonished: .
When loading leave them out and sometimes if there is a bar or two inside the bay door the loader will think they’re yours and use them to secure the load an easy way of getting spare bars :smiley:

DCPCFML:

crush99:

What sort of load is it? I’ve never had a fridge with straps in 25 years.

Really

robthedog:
Really

Yes, presumably because I’ve worked for companies who make sure their trailers have the right equipment for the job. What you are bodging there with 2 ratchet straps would be sorted in 5 seconds with another bar and set of cups for the top rails.

DCPCFML:

robthedog:
Really

Yes, presumably because I’ve worked for companies who make sure their trailers have the right equipment for the job. What you are bodging there with 2 ratchet straps would be sorted in 5 seconds with another bar and set of cups for the top rails.

Nothing botched about that Gist prefer straps when securing trolleys if done right will go nowhere

Its well wrapped boxes, on a pallet. look very soild

May well NEED nothing. But you can’t be certain.
How much time and effort to chuck on a strap or bar to make sure? Secure it.

robthedog:

DCPCFML:

crush99:

Really

That should be cup and bars, them dollies move around like jelly, if those had been BDU full of spuds, been out the back as pulled off the bay… Those grey ones are normally flowers… I would guess the loaders couldn’t find any bars so just got couple of straps, they’ve also put the straps wrong, they should go down the side of the load and round, as all they are doing is pulling load loc out of trailer…

Mazzer2:
Nothing botched about that Gist prefer straps when securing trolleys if done right will go nowhere

Correct - done hundreds of loads for Gist like that (thats flowers on wheeled dollies ) and never a problem. Straps put on correctly will keep the load tighter than cups and bars .

Ive been using the bars , but can’t always use them, if the pallets are loaded to the doors.
I guess where they going to move, so i just crack on

It is not just a risk that something might fall on top of you as you open up, the load is quite capable of bursting through the shutter.

biggriffin:

robthedog:

DCPCFML:

crush99:

Really

That should be cup and bars, them dollies move around like jelly, if those had been BDU full of spuds, been out the back as pulled off the bay… Those grey ones are normally flowers… I would guess the loaders couldn’t find any bars so just got couple of straps, they’ve also put the straps wrong, they should go down the side of the load and round, as all they are doing is pulling load loc out of trailer…

Was i doing it the correct way ?

Cheers Malc.

cav551:
It is not just a risk that something might fall on top of you as you open up, the load is quite capable of bursting through the shutter.

I haven’t much experience of roller doors, but couldn’t a fallen pallet also wedge against the roller doors making them hard to open?

malc step:

biggriffin:

DCPCFML:

crush99:

Was i doing it the correct way ?

Cheers Malc.

Nothing moved,no bunnies hurt so all is well… :smiley: