A close shave !

Gidders:
Embarrassed a couple of times with a wagon and drag using an ERF prime mover.Backed into towing hitch.Standing between both I put on the red line and the thing started rolling downhill.Obviously pulled redline back off within a couple of feet.I realised that the handbrake lever on the dash didn’t appear to a heavy handed me to be seated deep enough in a small depression at the base of the lever.I had a habit of trailing my fingers over it as I let go which was enough to release the brake again.No harm done fortunately.

I liked the old Clayton Dewandre type from memory used on Bedfords and our fire truck chassis among others with the spring loaded locking collar.
If the collar didn’t lock the lever just sprang back to the off position.It was reasonably fool proof in that regard you couldn’t really miss it because it was either locked or it was off and you had to lift the collar to unlock it.
youtube.com/watch?v=IfVO7eNGeyw 0.02
Can remember the Scania 112 and Merc 1628 controls being awkward especially the silly Merc control on the end of the dash by the door.