Is Ltd still Legal?

I personally know someone who’s a Ltd Company and is still working as one. When I asked him was he aware it was now illegal he said he was exempt. His explanation is that Stobarts who he works for are aware he’s Ltd, but have agreed in writing they’ll keep him on as Ltd. He further said that as an employee of his Ltd Company he only pays himself £250pw and the rest of it is saved in a business account and although I can’t see what that has to do with it, he says it’s Stobarts fault if they keep him on as Ltd. That just doesn’t sound right. What do you think?

i mean if i was working at stobart which i wouldn’t in the first place id force myself to be ltd, aint the perm driver on 9.50ph hour or something crazy

Got an email from.total jobs there advertising in Mancheste

But you do get lot of benefits
Benefits?

As part of our driving workforce, you’ll have access to:

Holiday pay – 28 days for drivers on a 5 day shift pattern
After five years of service you’ll receive six days additional paid holidays
Drivers medicals reimbursed up to the value of £100
Reimbursement for statutory renewal of tacho cards
Access to a great pension scheme
Guaranteed free full DCPC training during your employment
Full uniform and PPE provided free of charge
£15 per shift tax free meal allowance
£22.50 per night out tax free allowance
Increased rates on Bank Holidays for both day and nights
Discounted food at all Eddie Stobart Truck Stops
An extensive employee benefits, discounts and savings scheme
Death in service
Free eye tests vouchers
Unique online system, collating pay slips and other information
Access to a free of charge Employee Assistance Programme
Access to discounted gym membership

Can’t see it being anything to do with stobarts , I’d of thought if he’s limited he’s agency ( though I stand to be corrected ) , so I’d of thought lp or some other agency

dozy:
Can’t see it being anything to do with stobarts , I’d of thought if he’s limited he’s agency ( though I stand to be corrected ) , so I’d of thought lp or some other agency

Of course, but a quick glance of the post author tells you all you need to know about the factual accuracy of the story.

edd1974:

Benefits?

Death in service…

That’s a benefit? :open_mouth:

Only in the land of Stobart. :laughing: :laughing:

DCPCFML:

dozy:

Of course, but a quick glance of the post author tells you all you need to know about the factual accuracy of the story.

Quick look at the poster tells me it’s attracting the usual numpty :laughing: There’s one on every forum and best ignored.

dozy:

He says the PAYE is £9ph (Lancashire area), but he refused to work for that (containers) and so they’ve kept him on Ltd. Which just sounds a bit odd as that would leave it up to employers to decide who should be Ltd and not HMRC.

Grandpa:

dozy:

He says the PAYE is £9ph (Lancashire area), but he refused to work for that (containers) and so they’ve kept him on Ltd. Which just sounds a bit odd as that would leave it up to employers to decide who should be Ltd and not HMRC.

It is up to Stobarts to decide and then if investigated they have to prove to HMRC that its a genuine case, and if not its Stobart who gets the bill. Thats why the proverbial has hit the fan as all large firms have done a major arse covering and binned any LTD full stop.

Henrys cat:

Grandpa:

dozy:

It is up to Stobarts to decide and then if investigated they have to prove to HMRC that its a genuine case, and if not its Stobart who gets the bill. Thats why the proverbial has hit the fan as all large firms have done a major arse covering and binned any LTD full stop.

That’s what I’d have thought. The companies wouldn’t be losing drivers if they thought they could get away with it. The guy I’m talking about is on £16ph and obviously doesn’t want to lose that but he’s of the opinion that if it all falls to pieces, it’s Stobart’s fault, whereas I’d think Stobart’s would also get their wrists smacked, but he’d have to pay back the tax due.

edd1974:

Benefits?

Death in service
Free eye tests vouchers

If you’re giving drivers a very low rate, the benefits aren’t freebies, you’re paying for them. I don’t know about gym memberships or death in service insurance, I’d rather have a higher rate and choose whether I want the ‘benefits.’ How about lowering the hourly rate by 50p and giving out 10% off vouchers on your next pizza? :slight_smile:

Henrys cat:

Grandpa:

dozy:

Well in all the time I worked for them ( 15 yrs apx ) I knew no employed drivers who were ltd , ltdwere lp or agency , they wouldn’t work for stobarts as they said they didn’t pay enough , what depot did these stobart employed drivers who were ltd work ?

Grandpa:

edd1974:

Benefits?

Death in service
Free eye tests vouchers

If you’re giving drivers a very low rate, the benefits aren’t freebies, you’re paying for them. I don’t know about gym memberships or death in service insurance, I’d rather have a higher rate and choose whether I want the ‘benefits.’ How about lowering the hourly rate by 50p and giving out 10% off vouchers on your next pizza? :slight_smile:

Pizza is free , as is all food & drinks at stobart depots ,you just show you’re diesel card , has been since last March ( when covid started ) , was a discount of I think 20 % before that

Can you still be a Ltd company?
I’ve just started a company(which is a limited company)where I’m the director,only 1 employee (me)sole shareholder and I’m working for a traction company supplying myself as a driver
I invoice the company each week and get paid into a business account which I set
Is this legal ?
Cheers

gazsa401:
I’ve just started a company(which is a limited company)where I’m the director,only 1 employee (me)sole shareholder and I’m working for a traction company supplying myself as a driver
I invoice the company each week and get paid into a business account which I set
Is this legal ?
Cheers

I’d be more worried if you get a % off your pizza

gazsa401:
Is this legal ?
Cheers

I’d say it’s exactly the thing being clamped down on.

But then there’s also exception for smaller companies.

Bottom line is ask an accountant (you’ll need one at some point)

dozy:

Grandpa:

edd1974:

Benefits?

Death in service
Free eye tests vouchers

Pizza is free , as is all food & drinks at stobart depots ,you just show you’re diesel card , has been since last March ( when covid started ) , was a discount of I think 20 % before that

You are defrauding the company as you well know.
This free food is for employed drivers only, not agency.

And you are agency, whatever your umbrella arrangement with whichever payroll company are paying your rolled up holiday pay this week, and not declaring earnings to HMRC.

Grandpa:
…whereas I’d think Stobart’s would also get their wrists smacked, but he’d have to pay back the tax due.

He’s running the “company” which Stobarts are just contracting in to do the work. So effectively HMRC are going to come after him first.

However our lot dumped any Ltd drivers who were working direct for them as there was a fear our company would be liable incase they couldn’t get the tax back from the LTD driver.

Wouldn’t be surprised if both parties got hammered by penalties in the case of it going titsup. Am very surprised Stobarts are fine with that unless its not gotten back to those higher up in the know yet.

Will have to see how it goes.

dozy:

Henrys cat:

Grandpa:

dozy:

Well in all the time I worked for them ( 15 yrs apx ) I knew no employed drivers who were ltd , ltdwere lp or agency , they wouldn’t work for stobarts as they said they didn’t pay enough , what depot did these stobart employed drivers who were ltd work ?

I don’t want to identify the person (only the one I know), so I’ll just say Lancashire.

dozy:

Grandpa:

edd1974:

Benefits?

Death in service
Free eye tests vouchers

Free pizza, drinks and an hourly rate of a packet of ■■■■? What’s not to like then? :laughing: