OAP drivers required

I received a text message today from an agency offering me work for next week with a customer I have worked for before.
Trouble is I am now aged 74 and have been retired 7 years.I resisted the temptation.
So,is there a shortage of drivers in west Yorkshire?

Gidders:
I received a text message today from an agency offering me work for next week with a customer I have worked for before.
Trouble is I am now aged 74 and have been retired 7 years.I resisted the temptation.

Probably a shortage of mature decent drivers that don’t drive as though they’ve got a sports car. I got my last two jobs by being older and treating lorries with a bit of respect.

Gidders:

The agencies are short, because most of the LTD drivers working through agencies were let go on 6th April 2021 (the start of the tax year) due to the new IR35 rules.

My phone hasn’t stopped ringing this week.

If this keeps up, I expect the logistics companies and big business will start knocking on the door of Number 10 demanding that the old rules are put back in place.

I’m not so sure it will work though. This government in particular seem to have the self improved firmly within their sights for some reason.

Gidders:

No shortage of drivers, but a shortage of drivers willing to drive. I’ve just officially retired myself and like you get offers daily. For many it’s all about money, for me it’s also the thought of putting myself through what has now become an endurance test at my age that stops me accepting. We haven’t long left to go and the thought of my last few years spent stressed out for a packet of ■■■■ an hour doesn’t appeal.

carlston49:
If this keeps up, I expect the logistics companies and big business will start knocking on the door of Number 10 demanding that the old rules are put back in place.

Whinging employers versus HMRC? No contest.
The changes that have been brought in will have cost a lot of money to plan and implement, they’ll have a specific agenda for specific reasons, the Government aren’t going to care about companies who can’t figure out how to adapt.

I’ve seen many 70+ drivers who are very much in demand, for precisely the reasons peterm has highlighted.

I think the answer could be to job share like women do in offices, say you do 3 days and I do 3 days job sorted.
I am 64 and only looking for part time hours meaning 8 hours a day 3/4 days a week . Trouble is most employers want you to max out your hours , they think you live to drive a truck.

Gidders:

Shortage of decent drivers all over. I work on nights alongside a 68 and 72 year old, both still banging in 4-5 nights a week most weeks. 72 year old keeps saying every year will be his last and he’s been saying that the last 5 years I can remember. Neither are short of money, both have decent work/military/civil service pensions, I guess sitting at home doing nowt got boring.

Conor:

Gidders:

Shortage of decent drivers all over. I work on nights alongside a 68 and 72 year old, both still banging in 4-5 nights a week most weeks. 72 year old keeps saying every year will be his last and he’s been saying that the last 5 years I can remember. Neither are short of money, both have decent work/military/civil service pensions, I guess sitting at home doing nowt got boring.

What a waste of a life. No hobbies or anything more interesting going on in their lives/retirement so still drive trucks because they’re bored.

Been retired 10 years this July, dont have time to get bored,dont know how I found time to go to work.
My Wife and I now live a “normal” life get up between 7.00 / 8.00 go to bed when we want and do what we want when we want,
Held my Licence for the first year just in case money got a bit tight,found our income was ample to live on comfortably,never bothered to renew it. Apart from “lockdown” we get about,as and when we want, holidays 2-3 times a year,no restrictions on when we can have “time off” to take advantage of winter breaks in the sun.
No point in wasting your retirement just because your used to "living to work"and not “working to live” theres no pockets in shrouds for your money plus theres no where to spend it.
ENJOY YOUR A LONG TIME DEAD

Conor:

Gidders:

Driving has always been long hours with not much time for anything else. Perhaps a solution would be to put us old ones sent out to pasture on ‘light duties’, a sort of do what you can shift. Then again, it’s not going to happen as employers now want to squeeze every last bit of go out of their employees. Not a good idea if you’re in your late 60s, early 70s.

Grandpa:
employers now want to squeeze every last bit of go out of their employees. Not a good idea if you’re in your late 60s, early 70s.

The perfect storm of more, ‘other duties’ required in the job even so called ‘trunking’ to save the costs of employing warehouse staff and 20 somethings looking for the easiest work possible like driving cars for garages and employers are then expecting over 60’s to be happy to be worked into the ground.
Also employers trying to maintain a large labour supply by refusing part time job sharing and preferring to max the hours and work load of as few employees as possible.

I’m coming on 74 and the only job that could possibly tempt me back is night trunk on bulk milk out of Cornwall.

66 and I’ll do a regular box or fridge distance night trunk out of Magna Park or Crick, one delivery and a return collection.

i’m 66 in December,and asked the TM if i can do 2 days a week after Christmas.it would help in keeping my selection of classic vehicles up and running,and the work is pretty easy :slight_smile:
he hasn’t got back to me yet…probably hoping i’ll just carry on full-time.

DCPCFML:

Conor:
Neither are short of money, both have decent work/military/civil service pensions, I guess sitting at home doing nowt got boring.

What a waste of a life. No hobbies or anything more interesting going on in their lives/retirement so still drive trucks because they’re bored.

Well some people have the IQ of a mushroom so they’re happy doing the doodle I suppose. I know one older fella at our place he was swearing 2020 would be his last on 5/2 as he was about to finally pay off his mortgage. Guess what, he’s still doing 5/2 and now up to 6/1 every other week, 10+ hour shifts all night long. Why? His wife :slight_smile: is too greedy he says, she takes all my money (half-jokingly). Yeah, sure :slight_smile:

Zac_A:
Whinging employers versus HMRC? No contest.
The changes that have been brought in will have cost a lot of money to plan and implement, they’ll have a specific agenda for specific reasons, the Government aren’t going to care about companies who can’t figure out how to adapt.

IR35 has been in force for over 20 years. The IT sector was the main target at the time it came in in 2000.

I’ve no inclination to return to work although I liked the job I had when I retired.I enjoy being retired.The only problem is my body clock is still as if I am on permanent nights.
I still drive around a bit in my car and i notice that the overall standard of driving is deteriorating.This is particularly obvious with car drivers but an increasing number of lorry drivers are letting the side down.