My Trucking Days Are Over!

A sub-title would read, ‘Thank goodness for that.’
I passed my test back in 1988 on my second attempt, but I was involved in education at the time so didn’t immediately use it, but it was another string in my bow for future use.

A few years later I found myself on agency p/t night shifts with the unenviable position of packing crisps, because still in education it had guaranteed 10 to 6 night hours and fitted in with my university day life. One day the manager approached me and asked what I was doing packing crisps with a HGV1 licence. I explained and as a result I was given a night trunking job with the same guaranteed hours and I began my HGV life.

Over the following years I worked for a variety of companies, always trunking as that’s what I enjoyed and there aren’t many people who enjoy the job they do, whilst also getting paid to do it.

As the 2008 economic storm clouds approached and the East Europeans began to flood in you’d have to be blind not to see what was coming and along with many others I reverted back to my educational skills and emigrated.

I returned nearing official retirement in the summer of 2019, renewed my expired licence, did the full CPC, the medical, booked a morning’s private refresher course and realized I’d made a big mistake. I soon discovered I’d earned more 20 years ago than I was earning now. On hindsight, I’d walked into a collapsing minimum wage gig-economy and that was even before Covid arrived. During the latter half of 2019 I must have had half a dozen low paid stress jobs, both from agencies and companies, each one worse than the one I’d previously left. The driver had now become a labourer who just happened to have a licence and from a minimum wage to impossible multi-drop deadlines and un/loading; I finally realized why the general transport industry now has a critical shortage of drivers.

The supermarkets or Postman Pat aren’t complaining they can’t get drivers, it’s the bottom end general haulage sector that is collapsing. That’s because for years they used foreign labour who would work themselves into the ground and do anything they were told for wages that to us were a pittance. They worked so hard they eventually worked themselves out of a job and created the present day ‘mission impossible’ workload. Meanwhile, the same companies are now scratching their heads and wondering where their former home grown drivers have gone.

The general transport industry is full of ‘grafters’ and those who own the businesses are more than happy to keep that mentality alive as it gives them an executive lifestyle and pays their mortgages, while their drivers exist from week to week. As an aside, the idea of ‘grafting’ to make others a profit arose from the protestant work ethic that we were all ingrained with and is still alive and kicking today. Is that a little Bolshie? Be very sure that as you lie in a hospital bed with a slipped disc, or in an ICU with a heart attack, the visitors you get will not include the director of the company you worked yourself into a near death situation for.

As we age, the days of pulling back heavy curtains four times a shift, throwing straps 14 feet into the air and the constant calls to go faster becomes a test of endurance and mental stress, not a job. One of the best videos I’ve come across is a 10 minute one that hits the nail on the head regarding pay, but doesn’t address the job itself. It’s the 21st century; there are few people left prepared to risk their health for a basic income whilst treated as an updated version of slave labour.

I’ve never been able to adopt the mind set of being grateful to be allowed to work and that my main concern should be how much work I can do for the least amount I’m paid. In less than two weeks I won’t surrender my licence, but I’ll let the C&E component expire until such time as a) I’m still capable of working and b) I’m not going to risk injury or worse multi-dropping for a near minimum wage. As we head for the predicted biggest recession since the 1600s, I doubt very much that will happen and I’m glad I’m out of it.

Does your other account on here have the handle “Carryfast” ?

DCPCFML:

I only have one account.

DCPCFML:

I was just typing the exact same. The giveaway was when he used the word “labourer”

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

I was just typing the exact same. The giveaway was when he used the word “labourer”

The word, labourer? What should I have written? Manual labourer, or physical labourer? If you’re stuck in the low paid transport sector it’s your choice. I’m just writing about why I’m glad I’m out of it. If you don’t like what’s written, don’t read it. :unamused:

I’ll repeat the same as I wrote in the last thread which featured your linked video. What industry are all these “drivers leaving the industry” going to where they’ll be earning more per hour than they’re getting now? I keep seeing these “I’m hanging up my keys” rants but I’ve yet to read the follow-ups of where they’ve all gone with better pay and conditions. My suspicion is that all of them will indeed “hang their keys up” until the money in their bank account is depleted, then pick up the phone to the nearest DCPC centre, pay their £300 to renew their card, then pick up the phone to the local driving agencies and be back driving again whilst telling anyone within earshot about how the job is [zb] and they were earning more 30 years ago. :smiley:

DCPCFML:

My exact thought on reading it. :smiley:

There will always be those who support the gig-economy and what the general haulage sector has become and they will attack the poster and try to make excuses. Then there are those who remember better days and aren’t amazed that there is a current acute shortage of drivers in the general haulage sector.

Unless they’re making money out of it themselves, there are very few people left to cheer on HGV driving as a career. I have sympathy for those stuck in it, but as the minimum wage rises and you can now earn £10.15ph on nights scanning parcels and using a machine to wrap a pallet, it’s no longer an achievement to earn £1ph more to drive a class one vehicle.

Of course, there are those who will give up their lives to permanently night out and live in their workplace, but it’s not for the younger generation and the video link in the op about sums it up. How many more will end up like this poster?

And another one.

Grandpa:
The driver had now become a labourer who just happened to have a licence and from a minimum wage to impossible multi-drop deadlines and un/loading; I finally realized why the general transport industry now has a critical shortage of drivers.
Be very sure that as you lie in a hospital bed with a slipped disc, or in an ICU with a heart attack, the visitors you get will not include the director of the company you worked yourself into a near death situation for.

^
As I’ve said in numerous recent posts this isn’t anything new in the industry unless your face fits.

While ever increasing fuel costs mean less miles run and employers using resulting effectively redundant drivers for ‘other work’.That’s when they aren’t replacing superior direct trunks with hub systems and expecting the ‘driver’ to be a warehouse labourer to replace the driving time. :wink:

Grandpa:
There will always be those who support the gig-economy and what the general haulage sector has become and they will attack the poster and try to make excuses. Then there are those who remember better days and aren’t amazed that there is a current acute shortage of drivers in the general haulage sector.

Unless they’re making money out of it themselves, there are very few people left to cheer on HGV driving as a career. I have sympathy for those stuck in it, but as the minimum wage rises and you can now earn £10.15ph on nights scanning parcels and using a machine to wrap a pallet, it’s no longer an achievement to earn £1ph more to drive a class one vehicle.

Of course, there are those who will give up their lives to permanently night out and live in their workplace, but it’s not for the younger generation and the video link in the op about sums it up. How many more will end up like this poster?
Time to seriously re-evaluate my life - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Let me get this straight: Your argument is that the pay is poor so you should go and scan parcels for £10.15/hr ? Why would anyone want to take a £4/hr pay reduction from driving nights with their feet up listening to their tunes, probably 2-3 hours paid sleep if doing hub work, to do a boring, tedious and monotonous job of scanning parcels in a warehouse where you are constantly monitored and probably have targets to meet? I’m willing to bet that you’d last all of one week before begging to go back driving again. If £11.15 per hour for nights is the best you can do in Rugby where you’re surrounded by all the best-paying players then you’re not trying very hard.

DCPCFML:

Grandpa:

Time to seriously re-evaluate my life - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Let me get this straight: Your argument is that the pay is poor so you should go and scan parcels for £10.15/hr ? Why would anyone want to take a £4/hr pay reduction from driving nights with their feet up listening to their tunes, probably 2-3 hours paid sleep if doing hub work, to do a boring, tedious and monotonous job of scanning parcels in a warehouse where you are constantly monitored and probably have targets to meet? I’m willing to bet that you’d last all of one week before begging to go back driving again. If £11.15 per hour for nights is the best you can do in Rugby where you’re surrounded by all the best-paying players then you’re not trying very hard.

If driving was about £14ph with feet up listening to tunes, there wouldn’t be a shortage of tens of thousands. £11ph is the going general haulage rate here, sometimes less. No one gets near the big names anymore that do pay. The image of eating a Yorkie bar whilst earning lots of money disappeared a long time ago. :slight_smile:

Grandpa:

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

The word, labourer? What should I have written? Manual labourer, or physical labourer? If you’re stuck in the low paid transport sector it’s your choice. I’m just writing about why I’m glad I’m out of it. If you don’t like what’s written, don’t read it. :unamused:

Write what you want, I was simply highlighting your post was very Carryfast-esque, in particular the use of the word “labourer” as he is the only other person to mention it in amongst his ridiculous rants.

Grandpa:
As the 2008 economic storm clouds approached and the East Europeans began to flood in you’d have to be blind not to see what was coming and along with many others I reverted back to my educational skills and emigrated.

You emigrated…

Which is exactly what you criticize about those who came here.

tmcassett:

Grandpa:

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

Write what you want, I was simply highlighting your post was very Carryfast-esque, in particular the use of the word “labourer” as he is the only other person to mention it in amongst his ridiculous rants.

I haven’t posted for ages, but vaguely remember carryfast. I use the term labourer to describe what in many cases HGV driving now involves.

Grandpa:

DCPCFML:

Grandpa:

If driving was about £14ph with feet up listening to tunes, there wouldn’t be a shortage of tens of thousands. £11ph is the going general haulage rate here, sometimes less. No one gets near the big names anymore that do pay. The image of eating a Yorkie bar whilst earning lots of money disappeared a long time ago. :slight_smile:

£11/ph but there’s a shortage of tens of thousands■■? I’m not sure you understand the term “supply and demand”. :smiley: Hint : if there was a shortage of tens of thousands then the money would be a lot higher than £11/ph wouldn’t it? It is £11/ph simply because there are enough bodies happy to work for that, thereby fulfilling the haulier’s requirements :bulb: .

Grandpa:

DCPCFML:

Grandpa:

There isnt a shortage of drivers for starters and second thing it’s common knowledge that general haulage pays crap.

If you want decent money and a life your usually best getting on own account work or for the supermarkets/high street retailers - if you in Rugby you are spoilt for choice.

tmcassett:
There isnt a shortage of drivers for starters and second thing it’s common knowledge that general haulage pays crap.

If you want decent money and a life your usually best getting on own account work or for the supermarkets/high street retailers - if you in Rugby you are spoilt for choice.

I’ve just done a search for class 1 drivers in Rugby on Indeed and found no shortage of work paying £13-20/hr, mostly down at Crick which is 5 minutes down the road.

Asda down there seem to be a bit behind the times though :open_mouth: : ASDA | Careers

Not sure why so low. By comparison Asda pay, £13.32 days, £14.43 nights at Bedford, £15.48 nights at Bristol, £14.64 afternoons at Erith.

The tens of thousands shortage didn’t give up driving for one year and came back the next, there’s been a shortage for years. £10.15 is the going agency night rate for what’s termed a ‘warehouse operative’ in one of the companies in this area. You don’t make a lot, as although it’s advertised as 12 hour shifts, they’re usually eight and sometimes as low as six and you get paid for the hours you work, not a minimum of eight. The guy I know who works there takes home around £320pw, with short hours and no stress. OK, it’s not a wage to shout about, but on the other hand driving HGVs for an extra £50pw? Only if you’re desperate.

What was I expected to say? That it’s a fantastic career, that everyone’s happy and there’s no shortage of drivers and those that left can’t wait to get back? It’s a dying low paid stressful industry and it’s not going to get better. I don’t think you’re going to get many people who left and couldn’t wait to get back because they love it so much.
OK, perhaps I’m ‘Old Skool’ and miss my crash boxes and twin splits and actual driving as a skill instead of it resembling a labouring job … But recent changes also made me laugh as one company promised no handball as they’d give me a pump truck! Another was a minimum wage for nights, described as a ‘going rate’ … I’ve lost count of the adverts that never resembled what was promised. One wonders why there’s such a shortage with all these wonderful paying jobs around? :slight_smile:

The midlands ‘golden triangle’ has long gone, replaced by parcel companies and Eddie! When it gets to that stage it’s time to get out and that’s what’s happening and it’s not just me.

There is no shortage of drivers.Just a shortage of decent paying firms.