Charging electric pallet trucks

Anyone know of a way to charge electric pallet trucks while out on the road.
Will be out all week with no access to mains power.
Is there a way to use Anderson lead or will this drain the battery.
It’s a fridge trailer btw
Cheers

Think you’d need a fairly dedicated set-up for this and this would be more down to the owner than the driver.

Need more information really, at least what pallet truck it is.

pallettruckparts.co.uk/product/ … -512200-10

Harry Monk:
Think you’d need a fairly dedicated set-up for this and this would be more down to the owner than the driver.

I’m a bit of both, setting up an operation for someone and running it.
I have to spec the right kit and have 8 weeks to do it.

Washwipe:
Need more information really, at least what pallet truck it is.

pallettruckparts.co.uk/product/ … -512200-10

That’s a good link thanks.
Looks like it’s possible with a removable battery.
Not bought a truck yet, will look at the ones on that list cheers

The ones we have at work all have removeable batteries so I imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to charge them in or around the cab somewhere although if it was done in the cab (e.g. in the passenger footwell) I’m thinking the battery would need to be secured somehow.

Harry Monk:
The ones we have at work all have removeable batteries so I imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to charge them in or around the cab somewhere although if it was done in the cab (e.g. in the passenger footwell) I’m thinking the battery would need to be secured somehow.

If it’s charging in the cab, the space it takes up, having a heavy mass inside the cab in the event of and accident and any noxious / flammable fumes produced by the charging process might be an issue. A dedicated side locker might be a better option.

peirre:

Harry Monk:

If it’s charging in the cab, the space it takes up, having a heavy mass inside the cab in the event of and accident and any noxious / flammable fumes produced by the charging process might be an issue. A dedicated side locker might be a better option.

Although we used to have the batteries under the seat and some vans still do have them there, hydrogen gas and sulphuric acid are not good bedfellows.

This size of pallet truck?
ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Electr … Swq4tfh1q5
No need for a huge battery warehouse type truck if only doing odd deliveries. We have these types in some of our rigids. Recharge through Anderson lead in load area. You will need a proper split charge system of course, so that the charging only happens when the vehicle batteries are in a a good state.
If on an artic trailer there is an issue with thick power leads remaining connected when driving and manoeuvering but there are ways and means to overcome this.
Or, thinking differently, and depending on needs etc, fit a smallish 240v genset in a pallet box or similar under the trailer? Mains power into the load bay to recharge most anything.
Solar panels on trailer roof? The green solution! (Not sure about tree damage though)

Edit. If frozen goods, drop handle on pallet truck and store that in pallet box too. Cold temps and batteries are not a good mix.

Take your breaks on bay when possible and see if you can get it charged in warehouse.
Loads of ways to charge it up without paying extra for equipment.

On top of that. Only use it when necessary. When possible, use customers truck.

]

adam277:
Take your breaks on bay when possible and see if you can get it charged in warehouse.
Loads of ways to charge it up without paying extra for equipment.

On top of that. Only use it when necessary. When possible, use customers truck.

idrive:
Will be out all week with no access to mains power.

Harry Monk:

Battery technology has moved on! I’ve not used them much before and the ones I have used have been bulky units that only plugged into the mains at night

peirre:

Agreed, I wouldn’t fancy living with it. Side locker is a good option

Franglais:
This size of pallet truck?
ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Electr … Swq4tfh1q5
No need for a huge battery warehouse type truck if only doing odd deliveries. We have these types in some of our rigids. Recharge through Anderson lead in load area. You will need a proper split charge system of course, so that the charging only happens when the vehicle batteries are in a a good state.
If on an artic trailer there is an issue with thick power leads remaining connected when driving and manoeuvering but there are ways and means to overcome this.
Or, thinking differently, and depending on needs etc, fit a smallish 240v genset in a pallet box or similar under the trailer? Mains power into the load bay to recharge most anything.
Solar panels on trailer roof? The green solution! (Not sure about tree damage though)

Edit. If frozen goods, drop handle on pallet truck and store that in pallet box too. Cold temps and batteries are not a good mix.

I learned the hard way about leaving Anderson connected while driving :slight_smile:

It’s a multi temp trailer so it will not be stored at frozen temps but will live in chilled 2-5°
Will it be ok stored at fridge temps while on the move do you think. Hadn’t considered this, although could just remove battery every time after use?

idrive:
Will it be ok stored at fridge temps while on the move do you think. Hadn’t considered this, although could just remove battery every time after use?

One to check with the manufacturer.
Daresay it`ll survive OK, but will it have full charge if cold?

“While lithium-ion batteries handle cold weather better than most battery chemistries, temperatures too high or too low still compromise their ability to store and release energy. … Put simply, cold weather will decrease the lifespan of your battery because it will require charging more often.Apr 5, 2019”

Edit.
Two batteries? One charging on the unit ( small side box with Anderson lead connected to split charge system) t`other on pallet truck. Just swop when one is low.

Franglais:

idrive:

One to check with the manufacturer.
Daresay it`ll survive OK, but will it have full charge if cold?

“While lithium-ion batteries handle cold weather better than most battery chemistries, temperatures too high or too low still compromise their ability to store and release energy. … Put simply, cold weather will decrease the lifespan of your battery because it will require charging more often.Apr 5, 2019”

Edit.
Two batteries? One charging on the unit ( small side box with Anderson lead connected to split charge system) t`other on pallet truck. Just swop when one is low.

Farmfoods collect from our cold store which is all frozen (-22) product and they always have an electric pump truck on the back, so short term at least it shouldn’t be a problem. Longer term we obviously operate electric truck that live permanently inside the Coldstore so there’s an obvious capability to do that. If in doubt check with the manufacturer I’d say.

Thanks for the info everyone, will let you know how I get on

Seen and used this set up before

small 24v charger bolted to the wall near the roof

Charger connected to trailer internal lights

pallet truck connected to charger

Drive with side lights on , Internal lights on, Palett truck charging when driving

Geoff