Choices, choices!

For the last 3 yrs ive been driving a 67 plate 480 Space Cab from new.
i have possibly (or possibly not) got the option of chosing between a 530 Super Space or a FH XL 500.
The Daf has been ok tbh, but i do love a good Volvo. I had 3 brand new verion 1s when they were about.
The work i do rarely hits 40 ton gross, and i have 1 night a week away at most.
I fancy having a Volvo, as its something different after 3 yrs of the Daf.
I think the boss will probably go with Daf again, but if i could get some good reviews of the FH, it may help make a good argument for the Volvo.
I think the Daf is noisey when driving, mpg isnt very good, dash is always throwing faults up when it rains/snows, etc
Tell me how good the Volvo is!
As said, 40 ton max gross and 1 night out a week, in my position, what would you have and why?

A Volvo simply for the fact that you can go uphill without every one passing you, DAF or more commonly known Dead As F… :smiley:

kindle530:
I think the Daf is noisey when driving, mpg isnt very good?

Say what? The DAFs we have are quiter than my 2 year old car where the only noise is tyre wear, even the 16 and 64 plate units we have that have over 900,000km on the clock. The only time they really make any noise is when using the engine retarder. Poor MPG is usually down to the driver. Running at about 40 tonnes loaded up to Scotland and 43.5 tonnes back going over the A66 both ways I’m getting 9MPG. Even the other week when it was so windy they shut the A66 I was getting over 8.5MPG on the same trunk even though I went over Windy Hill one way and over the A69 the other. On days going out around 38 tonnes and coming back with a few tonnes of empty pallets and boards or several tonnes of packaging on I’m averaging 10-11MPG depending on how much is motorway as sometimes much of my day can be spent dragging a load around Liincolnshire’s finest single carriageway A and B roads with about an hour or so motorway/DC at either end.

Can’t argue about the electrics though. We’ve had units that’ve played dashboard bingo at only a few months old but I drove a 16 plate with over 940,000km on the other night without a single warning light in sight.

I know nothing about the prices on these but arent DAF like ALOT cheaper than a volvo?

I’d prob stick with the DAF.
Looking at the video youtube.com/watch?v=fd9b5zH_E1A
It looks nice. Especially if it comes decked out with nice seats etc.

If you opt for the Daf, see if you can get the guvnor to agree to having ‘‘default to eco’’ programmed out before delivery, that eco ■■■■■■■■ ruins every bloody lorry regardless of make, unless of course you want a manual and he’s prepared to order one, winner :sunglasses: a manual Daf is a good tool.

Reliability wise there might have been quite a difference a few years ago, not sure there’s much of a difference now, but as always dealer care and quality makes all the difference.

Think the last time I drove a manual tractor unit was like in 2018 and it was like 8 years old.
They seem to be quite a rare thing now :laughing:

I have a manual Daf mx13 460 apparently it’s the best option :open_mouth: although it’s no match for m11 380 4 over 4 .I’d opt for the Daf over Volvo I think very quiet in cab over the Foden well until that annoying ding ding starts :sunglasses:

Juddian:
If you opt for the Daf, see if you can get the guvnor to agree to having ‘‘default to eco’’ programmed out before delivery, that eco ■■■■■■■■ ruins every bloody lorry regardless of make,

I used to think that but I’ve been trialling driving the whole trunk on Eco and taking it out of Eco when pulling away from low speeds and climbing hills.

On the 480s climbing the A66 Eastbound at Stainmore at almost 44 tonnes it makes a difference of just a few MPH at the slowest point where you’re doing that last bit of climb before the cafe. Most hills there’s a difference of just a few MPH. However if you put the dash display to show live fuel consumption the difference in fuel used climbing that hill is quite considerable, 69l per 100km in eco compared to 78l per 100km out of eco. Journey time over a 270km run from Howden to Eccelefechan is within a few minutes. The difference in fuel over the whole 540km return journey is around 20l ~165-175l compared to 185-200l and I’d challenge you to tell by the driving time alone which journey was done which way.

Driving in eco does do one thing though, makes it feel more relaxing. For some reason I always feel like I have to be chasing when I turn it off. I will say though that I do turn it off every time I join from a slip road purely because I think it’s safer.

Conor:

Juddian:
If you opt for the Daf, see if you can get the guvnor to agree to having ‘‘default to eco’’ programmed out before delivery, that eco ■■■■■■■■ ruins every bloody lorry regardless of make,

I used to think that but I’ve been trialling driving the whole trunk on Eco and taking it out of Eco when pulling away from low speeds and climbing hills.

On the 480s climbing the A66 Eastbound at Stainmore at almost 44 tonnes it makes a difference of just a few MPH at the slowest point where you’re doing that last bit of climb before the cafe. Most hills there’s a difference of just a few MPH. However if you put the dash display to show live fuel consumption the difference in fuel used climbing that hill is quite considerable, 69l per 100km in eco compared to 78l per 100km out of eco. Journey time over a 270km run from Howden to Eccelefechan is within a few minutes. The difference in fuel over the whole 540km return journey is around 20l ~165-175l compared to 185-200l and I’d challenge you to tell by the driving time alone which journey was done which way.

Driving in eco does do one thing though, makes it feel more relaxing. For some reason I always feel like I have to be chasing when I turn it off. I will say though that I do turn it off every time I join from a slip road purely because I think it’s safer.

Driving in eco and revert to auto is fine on most roads. When in tight bends and sharp gradients, and the thing decides to change gear for you…it isn’t good.
That is when, as Juddian rightly says, the driver does need the ability to select and lock into a year.

Only truck I’ve seen pass a Volvo is a Scania…

I like DAF as well as Volvo but I’d say go for a Volvo!!
I saw the video on Facebook that Luke put on of the face lifted FH, it looks impressive :sunglasses:

Just don’t make the mistake of getting a Renault and thinking you’re getting a cheap Volvo!

WhiteTruckMan:
Just don’t make the mistake of getting a Renault and thinking you’re getting a cheap Volvo!

And dare I say it that the Renault slightly pips the Volvo :open_mouth:

peirre:
Only truck I’ve seen pass a Volvo is a Scania…

Our MAN’s can pass our Volvos as the Volvos are limited to 52 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my truck

surprisingly, i ended up with this!

oh well. better luck next time… :neutral_face: